.222 and 40-45g bullets

For my money, it's horses for courses. I've used both in a Hornet and they're fine for that calibre. Numerically speaking both have about half of the 50 V Max BC. Consequently, it's odds on that there's going to be some sight adjustment required particularly if you're going to start off at the range that the HMR takes over from the LR (even more so if you use the HMR for all ranges in lieu of a LR). That apart, they will do the business as will the Speer equivalent if they're stocked and similarly priced.

Re your Post #4 which I've just seen, Hornet performance would be c2900 for the 45 but I know not how you'd go about that in the 222. The Lee manual does indicate that there are powders for this sort of performance.

For my money, it's horses for courses. I've used both in a Hornet and they're fine for that calibre. Numerically speaking both have about half of the 50 V Max BC. Consequently, it's odds on that there's going to be some sight adjustment required particularly if you're going to start off at the range that the HMR takes over from the LR (even more so if you use the HMR for all ranges in lieu of a LR). That apart, they will do the business as will the Speer equivalent if they're stocked and similarly priced.

Re your Post #4 which I've just seen, Hornet performance would be c2900 for the 45 but I know not how you'd go about that in the 222. The Lee manual does indicate that there are powders for this sort of performance.

rather than getting more guns i am trying to cut back i will soon be selling one of my 2 12g shotguns and would like to cut back on rifle's at present i have a .22lr, .17hmr and my .222

i would like to keep my .22lr and as i need to keep my .222 for muntjac and cwd using 50g softnose of course,

so was asking the question as if it can be loaded at say hornet performances and prices it could do away with the hmr

just a thought

colin

I have acquired 500 unused cases so it's same for me i worked it out to 29p per round if i can work them on 21grain of h322

but of course i need to load some and see if 21grain will work but even if i have to go to upper level 22.5 i can't see it being much more,

just thought with hornet levels of powder they could be even cheaper.

Colin

thank's that was to be my next question, different powder that is,

i am paying £40 for a 1lb tub of h322 is the vit n110 same sort of price

colin

It's about £65/70 per kg but will go a long way at a small charge.

16.5 is about 2/3 of a case so not too low wouldn't want to go much lower though.

Also for instance ramshot powder is only £30 a lb

Reloader 7 can be used also.

Plenty of options for the light bullet in the triple.

thanks for that i will defo be looking onto some different powders now then,

i will stick to my usual for my 50g vmax as i believe in don't try to fix what is not broke,

but with these lighter bullets then a new powder is worth the try' i know my local has vit n 110 so will look at trying some of that,

colin

thanks for that i will defo be looking onto some different powders now then,

i will stick to my usual for my 50g vmax as i believe in don't try to fix what is not broke,

but with these lighter bullets then a new powder is worth the try' i know my local has vit n 110 so will look at trying some of that,

colin

Take it steady though mate as it is a quick powder. I was using ppu brass and fed205 primers. Have tried cci 400 and they work just aswell. It's never going to be a match load but for 200 yards its spot on. And works well in a shorter barrel like mine at 16 inch.

Save your 322 which I also use for your 50s :)

Karl.

Edited by Amazed

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know much about 222 as I'm a 223 man. Ramshot seams to be the cheapest powder at £32.50 a 1lb if you can find one to suit 222 and you can get 224 40g heads hp for £70 for 500, 40g sp for £75 or 500, 55g fmj 55g for £65.60 if cheap your thing. All prices are from gun mart. Be careful with under loading as I did it by accident with the 308 and ended up with a 27" drop at 300m from a 100m zero. I would like one gun for everything. Good luck.

Don't know much about 222 as I'm a 223 man. Ramshot seams to be the cheapest powder at £32.50 a 1lb if you can find one to suit 222 and you can get 224 40g heads hp for £70 for 500, 40g sp for £75 or 500, 55g fmj 55g for £65.60 if cheap your thing. All prices are from gun mart. Be careful with under loading as I did it by accident with the 308 and ended up with a 27" drop at 300m from a 100m zero. I would like one gun for everything. Good luck.

There all book loads it's just a really low load density.

I had a kg of n110 left over from when I had a hornet and found the loads to use it up in the triple.

It works really well with the 30 to 45 grain bullets. With any std small rifle primer and cheep ppu brass.

12 grains is about half a case just stay above that unless you want to start using poly fill.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/vihtavouri.pdf

Version 11.

Hiya,

I tried similar with the plan of getting rid of the Hmr, I have a very good load for the 50 grain VMAX that I use with the triple and thought about the 40 grain for rabbits & crows etc.. ended up just sticking to the one 50 grain Vmax load and using it for everything :)

I now stick with 52gr Amax for everything in the .222

22.6gr N133

if you can get lighter and cheaper bullets and use a faster powder you could shave the cost down a bit I guess

I would probably still stick with the heavier ones

they come in the post (that in itself saves you tens if not fifties just by not driving somewhere...)

ballistically superior

hit like a train right out to 200+

I now stick with 52gr Amax for everything in the .222

22.6gr N133

if you can get lighter and cheaper bullets and use a faster powder you could shave the cost down a bit I guess

I would probably still stick with the heavier ones

they come in the post (that in itself saves you tens if not fifties just by not driving somewhere...)

ballistically superior

hit like a train right out to 200+

Where are you getting them from mate as I have been looking all over !

I use 40g blitzking with 20.5g of H4198 in the 20" barreled CZ .chronograph @ 3100 and shoots 1/2" group.

Got mine to replace 17 hmr , which it does and a lot more.

Just picked up some 35g hornady ntx, anyone tried these in 222 ?

No where did you pick them up ?