Cheap small van - recommendations

WGD

I'm looking to buy a cheap small van for running around in, £3 - £5k but cheaper the better.

Looking initially at Transit Connect (father in law has one, seems ok, not sure how economical they are); Citreon Berlingo (supposedly very economical and cheap but French) and VW Caddy (expensive).

At the kind of money I'm talking about it would be an older van or a high mileage although most seem relatively high mileage anyway.

Thoughts and advice welcomed.

I bought my 03 plate astra van seven years ago for £1800 with 100,000 miles on it. it now has 170,000 on the clock and has had one alternator changed, 3 oil and filter changes and two sets of tyres, that is it !!!!

1.7 dti izuzu engine is a great lump, good on fuel and pulls well when needed . its not bad off road in the summer :rolleyes:

Got to say the corsa van is good cheap to buy and run loads pace the size of a big estate reasonably comfy just get one with AC elec windows loads of ex BT ones about for next to nothing. Astras are good but load space is a pita agree on the 1.7 dti lump

http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/vauxhall/corsavan/2009-vauxhall-corsa-d-1-3-cdti-direct-network-rail-with-air-con-diesel-wokingham-vfpa-8aa12dbd46f136ce0146f3a96fa6674d/bodytype/car-derived-van/makemodel/make/vauxhall/model/corsavan

Edited by HDAV

My brother in law had the 1.7cdti vauxhall combo which we used for our mobile disco business. Was a pretty good little van didnt cost him anything over the 5 years of ownership. Gave great mpg even when sitting on the bump stops from all the gear we put in ;)I

If 4x4's not an option then the combo's your man, had a 1.7D for two and a bit years sometimes putting 1000 miles a week on it, never missed a beat until some robbing **** took a shine to it.

Renault kangoo take some beating imo, i have run them for the past 10 years with no problems. cheap to buy and cheap to run. 1.5 turbo diesel. :good:

+1. I ran one for 5 years. Got rid when it had 160k on the clock. The only fault it ever had was a broken indicator stalk, which took me 30 min to replace, and I've got fists of purest ham.

+1. I ran one for 5 years. Got rid when it had 160k on the clock. The only fault it ever had was a broken indicator stalk, which took me 30 min to replace, and I've got fists of purest ham.

You can also fit about 70 woodpigeons in the front footwell when needs must :):good:

I'm surprised about the negative remarks regarding transit connects, we have a large fleet and they have been amoungst the most reliable vans we have ever had,ford parts are cheap too, I don't know about fuel consumption though.

I have a fiat dobolo and apart from how it looks it's a cracking van, 35 mpg plus and I carry a lot of weight

I'm surprised about the negative remarks regarding transit connects, we have a large fleet and they have been amoungst the most reliable vans we have ever had,ford parts are cheap too, I don't know about fuel consumption though.

I have a fiat dobolo and apart from how it looks it's a cracking van, 35 mpg plus and I carry a lot of weight

Me too

The 1.7 Astra is a great van we had one at work it was the best van we had , we also had berlingos they are not worth two rows of sheep ****

We're a fiat dealer at work I would never buy one of then either!!!

I've been looking at buying a 1.7astra for myself there very good !!!

I've had a transit connect for the past 5 years now, been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned! Higher driving position that berlingo/combo/ kangoo and doesn't squat down at the back when I put some weight in the back like they do. Luck of the draw whatever you buy when it's getting on a bit though!