Game stay results

Some boys joined our syyndicate a few years ago that swore by it, and i have heard various other wonder stories about it.

I tried it and put it in 1/2 my hoppers in main woods, still do and i dinae think makes a single bit of difference, sometimes the 'spice' hoppers empty first other times its normal wheat.

If it was so good every shoot would be using it. The only reason i still use it is so if we have a poor/bad season lack of spice will be blamed not weather or anything else which actually caused it

Use it if u want and it gives u confidence but in my opinion it will not transform ur shoot if other things are not right

Wot do u mean affect gundogs? Attracted to the hopppers or find birds easier cos they have a slight ainiseed flavour? I have never noticed any difference with the dogs

Edited by scotslad

Does it affect the gun dogs as aniseed used to be considered a great attractent for dogs.

If a dog is not conditioned to it......why on earth would it go and sit at the feed hopper!!

I do wonder if people are reading comic books before posting such twaddle.......

Next it will be a clip of the blood hounds sneezing over pepper in cool hand luke.........

TEH

I used gamekeep for about 4 years found there was no difference to plane wheat I now use chicken grower meal mixed in with the wheat . the birds are holding a lot better has it has the same smell has pellets its improved the shoot by a long way . I have been on this estate for 7 years the shoot has been on the go for about 27 years .since I've been using the meal its had its best years

I used gamekeep for about 4 years found there was no difference to plane wheat I now use chicken grower meal mixed in with the wheat . the birds are holding a lot better has it has the same smell has pellets its improved the shoot by a long way . I have been on this estate for 7 years the shoot has been on the go for about 27 years .since I've been using the meal its had its best years

Do the birds not just empty the feeders looking for the grower?

why do you use chicken grower ? why not just pheasant grower ? is the chicken grower in a pellet form ?? this sounds very interesting, as my birds really seem to crave pellet and don't like changing to wheat :no:

So this is what I have been taught and has worked well for me this season as have the birds where I want them and watched them come off roost this morning and they made a b-line for thier cover crops.

Might come in for a bit of stick but hey ho. So basically I have been taught; sicken them with pellet. It may cost you a bit more in pellets but by the time you switch them over to wheat they take to it like a duck to water. If you pull them off pellet too soon they'll be reluctant to go onto wheat and wander off looking for pellets.

Now i'm not saying this will work for everyone as every situation is different but has worked for my mate for years and he serves up good returns year on year. Seems to be serving me well so far too. Yes I had to do my share of dogging as you'd expect any way but the transition from pellet to wheat was smooth and the birds seemed fine with it and are now holding well.

Gradually fed them away from the roosting wood, leap frogging feeders until they hit the cover crop then took them all into the cover crop one by one each day. Now have cut the feed in the roosting wood back just leaving a handful of spring feeders for them to use freely.

Springs and Manola's in the cover crop and hand feed a bit of wheat and cut maize over straw. Seems to be working for me so far but we don't shoot for another 4 weeks yet.....a lot can happen in 4 weeks :lol:

why do you use chicken grower ? why not just pheasant grower ? is the chicken grower in a pellet form ?? this sounds very interesting, as my birds really seem to crave pellet and don't like changing to wheat :no:

no its the meal a lot cheaper than spice they go over to the wheat a lot easier and I keep it going all season