CUBA

four-wheel-drive

I was watching something on TV this morning and I was quite shocked this guy was talking about Cuba the Americans make any Bank that lends them money pay gigantic fines they send in teams of CIA people to covertly make trouble they ban American drug companies from selling drugs to them to enable doctors to treat people yet and we never get to here about this stuff that the Cubans are doing around the world it makes me sick.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2012/06/02/cubatrained_doctors_making_difference_around_the_world.html

Thanks for that, interesting read, Cuba is at the top of my want to visit when i have enough money list, great work the training hospital does !

You'll enjoy it I'm sure Islandgun. I visited Cuba back in the 90's. Tourism was very important to them (probably still is) and the people were amazing. To experience their philosophy on helping each other was really eye opening. In them days anyone in a car stopped at a bus stop and invited people in. If they was going your way they shared their car with you and gave you a lift. The buses had one charge, very low, and basically took you to where you wanted to go. The police all looked like clones of each other. Possibly fathered by the same bloke. LOL. They hated the Americans but loved the US doller. In them days it was a great place to visit, and I came away thinking old Castro had got it right.

I thought medicines weren't on the embargo list so could be sold to them?

Doing a quick read on the net, It reads as though it's Cuba who don't want to buy from American drug companies. They have to pay cash for any food/ medicine trades they do with a US company, and we know how much governments like to put things on the never-never.

Edited by gibby

Doing a quick read on the net, It reads as though it's Cuba who don't want to buy from American drug companies. They have to pay cash for any food/ medicine trades they do with a US company, and we know how much governments like to put things on the never-never.

They dislike anything to do with Americans, but as I said want the US dollar to pay cash for what they need.

You'll enjoy it I'm sure Islandgun. I visited Cuba back in the 90's. Tourism was very important to them (probably still is) and the people were amazing. To experience their philosophy on helping each other was really eye opening. In them days anyone in a car stopped at a bus stop and invited people in. If they was going your way they shared their car with you and gave you a lift. The buses had one charge, very low, and basically took you to where you wanted to go. The police all looked like clones of each other. Possibly fathered by the same bloke. LOL. They hated the Americans but loved the US doller. In them days it was a great place to visit, and I came away thinking old Castro had got it right.

Did you stay in a government approved hotel or were you able to stay in the local pensions, I love the look of the place, cheap beer, cuban cigars rolled by voluptuous ladies, and the prospect of some serious fishing,

sounds good, no national debt !

They dislike anything to do with Americans, but as I said want the US dollar to pay cash for what they need.

The real point is why are the Americans still doing all that they can to prevent Cuba trading with other countries way back in the 1960 when Russia was helping them but that time has long since passed so how can a small island like Cuba be any kind of a threat to them it is all down to bloody mindedness and that from the country that runs Gwontanamo or whatever it is called the place that the Americans take people to so that they can torture them.

The real point is why are the Americans still doing all that they can to prevent Cuba trading with other countries way back in the 1960 when Russia was helping them but that time has long since passed so how can a small island like Cuba be any kind of a threat to them it is all down to bloody mindedness and that from the country that runs Gwontanamo or whatever it is called the place that the Americans take people to so that they can torture them.

To the Americans Cuba is a bit like the Jersey is to us , except they no longer have control of it. To the Cubans America is the capitalist country that exploited and created corruption. When I was there I went to a restaurant that used to be Al Capones holiday home.

Did you stay in a government approved hotel or were you able to stay in the local pensions, I love the look of the place, cheap beer, cuban cigars rolled by voluptuous ladies, and the prospect of some serious fishing,

As I recall we just did the usual package thing. I went basically for a diving holiday. I've only been to a couple of other Carribean islands but Cuba was by far the best. When I was there it was very safe and everyone showed a respect for each other. Not sure if it is the same today, but would hope so.

sounds good, no national debt !

I was there last year, an amazing place with some of the friendliest people I have had the pressure to meet. If you go on holiday take some time out of the resort and see the real Cuba. It's like going back in time, horse and ox drawn is the standard mode of transport in the countryside. Some fantastic beaches and snorkellin. It is a big place from where we were it was a 2 or 3 hour internal flight to Havana. I would suggest going sooner rather than later, I expect the place to change as it opens up more and in time become like any other Caribbean Island.

Pretty amazing place and the countryside is just beautiful. We did a couple of days going to the citys and they have a good vibe about them with loads going on. Only thing I found were some (higher percentage than normal) of the staff at the hotel were pretty grumpy and most seemed to think you must be rich so had an attitude, obviously those people never got a tip.

any tips ?

Don't buy cigars off the street. They have all sorts of fillers/rubbish in them .... buy proper ones from the many excellent manufacturers

The food is fantastic and fresh fruit like Guavas and Oranges are out of this world.

Don't plan on much shopping.

Avoid all the main tourist "villages/enclaves" to stay. find the real Cuba

Havana is wonderful ..... just go and chill there. Old Havana is the best and go to the museum of the revolution and find out the real story of the revolution from the Cubans perspective rather than the US one.

Snorkelling can be fantastic

If you are single and pull a local girl there, she will ask for money .... it is normal in Cuba rather than assume she is a prostitute ..... very odd I know but that is Cuba, the Cuban lads have to pay girls as well not just visitors.

Find all 3 of Hemingways' bars and enjoy. There is an excellent restaurant right outside the front door of the Cathedral in Old Havana which is truly fantastic.

Don't try to rush around the whole Island. Just go and relax with limited number of places on your "must see" lists.

went a couple of years ago its a fantastic country . havana is a must the history of the revolution is very interesting and i would go again go off of the beaten track and see the real cuba the place is safe and the people friendly on a tour bus they even stop to pick up lady hitch hikers as that is the traditional way to all get around the locals still have rashion cards etc go now before its all opened up and we have spoiled it

it sounds amazing, Iv'e wanted to go for many years after first looking at the fishing potential then at the history and people, I'm surprised how many PW ers have been, I've been led to believe that you have to book into government run hotels, but wondered if that was the case could you book for a week and then have a couple of weeks in local hotels/pensions, I have travelled widely and only stayed in local hotels and have never fancied a resort, my biggest problem is 3 kids (cost of travel) but i would love them to experience an unspoilt place while they are still young, thanks for the tip about the local girls Malki but unfortunately i doubt the missus would be too keen :sad1: