waterproof/Breathable Jacket Recomendations

Keith RW

First of all ...... do they actually exist ?

Been out today and got wet :-( so time for a new coat

Can you guys recomend a good foul weather shooing jacket that will actually keep you dry from the outside elements and also from the inside when working up a sweat when marching about out in the field.

Not looking for one of those with all the removable linings and zip in fleece jobbies that have you layering up either to keep dry with a "membrane liner" once the water has got through the outer jacket making it four times heavier than when you put it on and then requires a fleece to keep you warm once it has and which wicks up water from the cuffs and up to your elbows from the soddened outer jacket .....

Not looking for designer brands either as dont really believe or "buy into" the theory that you have to pay £400 - £500 barbour/Musto prices to get the job done..

preferably under the £200 mark would be nice :good: :good:

Ex army gore tex.

Ridgeline jackets get decent reviews and in your budget.

Figgy

Got both;

The Ridgeline are wonderful but you will sweat if you are moving! Very good if you have set up in the right place and don't need to move again.

The Ex MOD Goretex are great too, are much lighter, much cheaper, although they are not warm, so have to be large enough to allow for an extra layer or two underneath.

Depending what you are using it for the Paramo range and particularly the pajaro jacket (green/non reflective bits) for shooting are fantastic. They are more waterproof and much more breathable than goretex but they are not as tough if you are going through thorns etc.

New it will be a little bit more than your budget but they do come up second hand on ebay. They need reproofing every so often but thats no hardship.

I also have a Musto whisper jacket, really good jacket but a bit above your budget.

Got both;

The Ridgeline are wonderful but you will sweat if you are moving! Very good if you have set up in the right place and don't need to move again.

The Ex MOD Goretex are great too, are much lighter, much cheaper, although they are not warm, so have to be large enough to allow for an extra layer or two underneath.

Sound advice, I have both,

Atb

Flynny

Depending what you are using it for the Paramo range and particularly the pajaro jacket (green/non reflective bits) for shooting are fantastic. They are more waterproof and much more breathable than goretex but they are not as tough if you are going through thorns etc.

New it will be a little bit more than your budget but they do come up second hand on ebay. They need reproofing every so often but thats no hardship.

I also have a Musto whisper jacket, really good jacket but a bit above your budget.

Yes I forgot about the Musto Whisper Jacket, great aren't they, I notice the new version is £425:00, glad I bought mine a while ago!!!!!

I managed to get mine free from John Norris when I worked there. It was a customer return which was found with nothing wrong with, been kicking round the back for a couple years. I've been in some truly horrid weather in it and it's perfect. £425 christ they have gone up in price!

Cheers Figgy, was Just about to take the plunge on one but its showing the whisper at £425 not £221, have you seen them on offer somewher ?

Just typed it into to google and they came up country attire was near the top of the hits ill have a look and try a link note try I'm not very good at them.

Here you go :good:

http://www.countryattire.com/musto-men-s-whisper-jacket-dark-moss-cs0622.html

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Just typed it into to google and they came up country attire was near the top of the hits ill have a look and try a link note try I'm not very good at them.

Here you go :good:

http://www.countryattire.com/musto-men-s-whisper-jacket-dark-moss-cs0622.html

Figgy

cheers Figgy,

link works but cant buy it at that price for some reason, mailed them earlier to query if in sale to get a reply stating £425 with 10% off if i sign up with them......

seen them at around £250 mark so might bite the bullet and splash out....

I have a ridgline roar which I tested for the first time last week

piddling down from the outset

including a stint of lying down in wet heather for the best part of 45 minutes in the driving rain

didn't leak

kept me warm

you do sweat in them but to be honest I have yet to have a gore-tex or similar jacket that doesnt make you sweat and I have had about 10 of them over the years

some nice features in the pockets and toggle cords to pull in material

one pocket on the left interferes with the zip chest pocket internally and means if they both have something in they better be zipped up!

for the money they are good.

I have a rocky mountain realtree apg coat.cost around 100 quid and totally stops wind and rain. Really comfy with lots if pockets. But it doesn't breath well and can make you sweat. From what I have seen any coat is either waterproof or breaths never both despite what the manufacturer says.

Where from - cheapest I have seen is £75ish

Cheers

Steve

Bought it from Country and Leisure Clothing where it's reduced to £65 incl free p&p. However if you sign up to their newsletter you'll receive a 10% discount code which you can apply to your purchase bringing price to £58.50 delivered.

http://www.countryandleisureclothing.co.uk/

Edited by fitzy