Club George Digweed

dougall

Bit harsh that, George isn't going to be shooting forever he will have to put down the competition gun at some point. He has been such a great ambassador of the sport we all love for so many years and for a standard membership for £250 I don't think its all that bad, especially when I walked into the local RFD today and they are selling shooting jackets for £500, good on him its got to be worth ago if I knew a 10th of what he knows I would be a happy man.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i was down south i would think about it to get tuition an ground discounts but obviously with me being from south yorkshire its a bit far ha (thats the 250 one ) an ye the people slagging it off if the dropped on him the would be up his back side hes only trying to make a go off something

Bit harsh that, George isn't going to be shooting forever he will have to put down the competition gun at some point. He has been such a great ambassador of the sport we all love for so many years and for a standard membership for £250 I don't think its all that bad, especially when I walked into the local RFD today and they are selling shooting jackets for £500, good on him its got to be worth ago if I knew a 10th of what he knows I would be a happy man.

Do you really feel he has been a great ambassador?

I'm going to start a Digging Weeds club.

Membership £25.00 a year and you can come to my place,I'll coach you a few times on technique and the all important pull,then you can go practise it under my supervision, handing out tips and tricks to get the best out of you :good: Only charge £10.00 for 100 English weeds.

Any takers?

Membership £25.00 a year and you can come to my place,I'll coach you a few times on technique and the all important pull,then you can go practise it under my supervision, handing out tips and tricks to get the best out of you :good: Only charge £10.00 for 100 English weeds.

Any takers?

That's VERY tempting!

Any takers?

Can they be dried and smoked. ;)

Any takers?

Don't let Ack Ack join as he will pull anything in the club

Do you really feel he has been a great ambassador?[/quote

George has proven himself to be the best the world has ever seen and ever likely to see again. We as followers of the sport should not only be proud of him but also wish him well in this venture.

I absolutely agree that he is a superb shot but as an approachable human being he leaves a lot to be desired. I have shot with him and refereed him and watched him at work. I personally feel he could have done so much more for shooting in general rather than for himself.

I did not in anyway start this thread as a way for folk to attack GD. Around the world he is now accepted as the best shotgun shooter of a generation and up there for all time greatest.

I think as a business idea,it is totally sound,and to run with a club using his name a good potential way to maximise where he is in our sport. My only concern,and I am speaking personally is the pricing policy I think is misguided. If it had been priced at £75 per annum the take up would be much larger,CPSA is @ £65 p.a. BASC @ £65p.a. everytime you shoot @ £50 for clays, £600 for driven etc......but the problem with the internet is folk expect information for free.....or at least nominal cost....It is a mental way to achieve mass market attention/coverage in no time BUT not a 'virtual club'. A golf club down south costs @ £1,500p.a. but you do get a clubhouse/free golf/practice facilities thrown in!..If you like you effectively pre-pay for your hobby.But you don't pay £1000 per annum to get 15% off your green fees everytime you play.If £250 included 3 sporting rounds,hosted by GD with just 15 minutes tips at say start...........well something tangible for your £££.

I love the idea of Club GD,and only wished it had priced lower to get it going/give it some momentum,as for it to work it needs members/growth/buying power....If just a hundred mates of his join it it has'nt impacted the world of shooting in a way it could. Do I wish him success,absolutely,he deserves lots...has he been good for shooting? hell yes. and tightchoke;if you have shot with him/refereed him then you have seen him 'at work' he is not there to be your friend but to practice/to win. Is he approachable,yes very when not in the cage......and your assertion he could have ''done so much more for shooting than himself'' is at best ungracious..by being himself he has done more for our sport than any other person I can think of.

I did not in anyway start this thread as a way for folk to attack GD. Around the world he is now accepted as the best shotgun shooter of a generation and up there for all time greatest.

I love the idea of Club GD,and only wished it had priced lower to get it going/give it some momentum,as for it to work it needs members/growth/buying power....If just a hundred mates of his join it it has'nt impacted the world of shooting in a way it could. Do I wish him success,absolutely,he deserves lots...has he been good for shooting? hell yes. and tightchoke;if you have shot with him/refereed him then you have seen him 'at work' he is not there to be your friend but to practice/to win. Is he approachable,yes very when not in the cage......and your assertion he could have ''done so much more for shooting than himself'' is at best ungracious..by being himself he has done more for our sport than any other person I can think of.

That is your opinion and I have mine, if it is ungracious then so be it, it is after all based upon fact!

I have always found him to be polite and friendly having shot with him and quite often around him at various grounds we seem to both frequent. He is all about absolute dedication when in the stand and I imagine if you interrupt that moment you would not find him to be quite so charming but then that is his job not his hobby. Outside of that minute or so when he is "in his world", he is jovial, helpful and interesting to talk to. IMO of course.

That is your opinion and I have mine, if it is ungracious then so be it, it is after all based upon fact![/quote

]

As far as I know george earns his living mainly from shooting or activity around it.I have also shot alongside some of the top boys and while my shooting is in some part a social thing as well as a enjoyable hobby I can fully understand why the top boys would rather not be disturbed with constant questions and idle chat during such competition. Most of us are there for a good enjoyable day out george is on business.good luck to him in all he does.

Years ago I went on a GD/Kent cartridges promotional day

£20, which included either 50 or 100 sporting layout, INCLUDING cartridges and lunch ( I did say it was a while ago)

George walked round and stood on various stands coaching

Then gave a shooting demonstration,

Came across a very nice chap, willing to answer questions about shooting and just have a natter,

Yes he was paid to be there but he still made the day enjoyable.

I think it is a bit pricey for Club Digweed but good luck to him,

If he comes across as unapproachable at a shooting competition that in my opinion is understandable, he is *at work*,

I think he has been very good for our sport.

:shaun:

Problem is if you price yourself at membership at the £60 level every man and his dog will join up expecting the earth and it will dilute the service for all.

People will pay for top end instruction, so can't fault his business model.

Remember it is just that- business. If you charge £100/hour and are fully booked, you are not too expensive as some claim, you have found the right level for you.

You are too expensive when the bookings dry up, and I don't think George will be too short of support.

Good luck to him.

If people will pay I don't blame him I lost a client to him last year she now gone else where even GD couldn't get someone who doesn't listen to improve, no matter how much she paid, you just can't buy talent.

At the end of the day, ‘rocks is rocks’ and ‘clay is clay’! :whistling: