Is a Beretta 686 the same as a silver pigeon?

00jacksonp

I would say that all base models from all the makers are very bland ,I believe they all use the same batch of used scaffold boards for the stocks.as for wood to metal fit the machines that shape the stocks will work to far closer tolerances than hand so the fit will be about as perfect as you can get..they are all cosmetic and will not make a gun any better or worse than the next.i have and still do own several beretta guns I have a sp1 in the cabinets as a rough shoot gun.my others all have nicely figured wood on as that is something I like but then you pay for the nicer finish.atb

I have a 1989 beretta 682 sporting . Very well made .

I also agree the older berettas were built to a much higher standard than the newer ones IMO . ive owned countless models since 1987 . And still own a few .

I think a lot of the recent problems were down to poor finish and poor QC, and in the latter possibly the rush to meet demand for the 692 created problems. I know two blokes who returned their 692's; both had very little finish on the woodwork, with one 'blooming' after getting wet, and the other having off-centre locating pins.

I think most of the problems have been ironed out now, but when I tried both the 692 and one of the Zoli 'Z' series in the same price range, I preferred the Zoli.

Must admit my 682 Supersport was a real quality beaut'. Would have another.

There are loads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Silver_Pigeon SIlver pigeon is just a basic OU there are higher specs in gold and eve diamond pigeon and EL EEL EELL versions of the same basic design http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Davandron/Beretta686

Q: What is Beretta's new model name/nomenclature system for shotguns? A: Beretta's new nomenclature system recaptures a bit of history by bringing back some of the legendary Beretta gun names of the past and adding many new names as well.

The new system retains Beretta's current model numbers while incorporating product names such as Mallard and Perdiz to strengthen the identity of each firearm series.

The nomenclature also distinguishes between different grades of shotguns with the Silver, Gold and Diamond designations. For over/under shotguns, Silver grade is used to designate the standard 686 and 687 models with silver receivers. Gold grade designates the higher grade 686EL and 687EL models with full sideplates. Diamond grade designates the higher grade 687EELL models that feature the highest grade wood and engraving.

390 Series semiautomatic shotguns also use Silver and Gold designations. Silver is used on the standard models and Gold is for deluxe models with gold filled engraving on the receiver and highly-figured wood.

Examples of this new system are as follows:

Field Grade Shotguns Old Model New Name A390ST 390 Silver Mallard A390ST Deluxe 390 Gold Mallard Vitoria Pintail

686 Essential

686 Onyx 686 Onyx 686L 686 Silver Perdiz 686EL 686EL Gold Perdiz 687L 686 Silver Pigeon 687EL 687EL Gold Pigeon 687EELL 687EELL Diamond Pigeon

Competition Shotguns Old Model New Name 686 Sporting 686 Silver Perdiz Sporting 687 Sporting 687 Silver Pigeon Sporting 687EELL Sporting 687EELL Diamond Pigeon Sporting 682 Sporting/Skeet/Trap 682 Gold Sporting/Skeet/Trap ASE90 Sporting/Skeet/Trap ASE90 Gold Sporting/Skeet/Trap

Edited by HDAV

I bought my 686 second hand in 1989, paid £640

It was described to me by the seller as the lightweight 'field' gun version, it has an 'L' on the trigger guard and is a multichoke. Narrow rib and just a single small silver bead.

Anyone shed any light as to exactly which model I have? Thanks.

It was described to me by the seller as the lightweight 'field' gun version, it has an 'L' on the trigger guard and is a multichoke. Narrow rib and just a single small silver bead.

686 Field I would say.

I have a 687 Sporter from 1989, that is heavier and with the wide rib and orange bead. Fine for clays but I really notice the weight rough shooting and game shooting, you have the better gun for that.

I used to own one of these - it sounds like a 686 Special game. It should read S686 Special on the underside of the action if it is. Mine was fixed choke...had the 'L' on the trigger guard too. Nice guns.

I used to own one of these - it sounds like a 686 Special game. It should read S686 Special on the underside of the action if it is. Mine was fixed choke...had the 'L' on the trigger guard too. Nice guns.

Thankyou MrP, I must of had the gun so long I've stopped noticing things including the rather obvious model number under the action!

WP_20141011_002_zps105cdec4.jpg

WP_20141011_003_zpsd6a6871a.jpg

WP_20141011_007_zps55e82deb.jpg

WP_20141011_006_zpsd395c764.jpg

WP_20141011_011_zps5e671054.jpg

My brother has the same model though someone changed the small silver bead for an ugly red one before he bought it.

My first two guns were Betetta too, I don't think I've any pictures and can't remember the model numbers. I'll have to post a question about them when I've had a think about it.

My late fathers gun is another I know little about, its a Midland 30" barrelled non ejector he bought about 25 years ago. If I recall the gunsmith removed a dent in the right hand barrell just before he bought it. I'll take some pictures and post them up over the weekend in the hope someone can give me more details on it. Thanks.

I have one of these too, bought new in 1986 and I would never get rid of it. Mine's a fixed choke and it's a lively, well-balanced and light (6lbs 12ozs) game gun. I also think the quality of these older Berettas is head and shoulders above some of their more recent offerings.

Edited by IEH