Midland gun history

tullyhubbert

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, graham s said:

IMG_20181227_084929%5B1%5D.jpg.6be79d0a26bcf97d5ec7db9890af7da4.jpghi all I have recently brought a midland pigeon gun 12g choked with a square cross lock I think it I date around 1950-60 wondered if some of you can give me some more info on it I have attached some pictures

IMG_20181227_084556[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084655[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084726[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084833[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084906[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084924[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084929[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084556[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084655[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084726[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084833[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084906[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084924[1].jpg

IMG_20181227_084929[1].jpg

Originally proofed at 13/1 in Birmingham under 1925 rules of proof, reproofed in london in 1985 at .728, the 2 at the bottom of the crossed pikes indicates the number of the tester, the "c" on the right could be part of BC either side of the crossed pikes which indicates original proof date of 1952....

30 minutes ago, graham s said:

hi panoma1many thanks for your input what you say seems to fit with what I was thinking any idea what the 687 number is could it be the pressure in BAR ?

I couldn't guess graham s.....but I wouldn't think so! It's proved at 4 tons, convert that to bar, and you can test your theory! 

Edited by panoma1

• 2 years later...

This thread certainly has a lot of history and hoping I might glean a bit of information about a Patker Hale/Midland 410 side by side hammer that I have just purchased. I don't have any photos of it yet as we have to go through all the paraphanalia of moving the gun from one RFD to the other, transfering funds etc etc.

I know that Parker Hale took over the Midland name in 1952 so assume this cracking little gun was made around that time OR maybe before if Parker Hale also took on stock in progress which I assume they would have.  I intend using it this coming season. It nitro proof and has 3 inch chambers.  Anyone have any idea when these little hammer guns where made. I know that most of the bits for all of these Birmingham guns and some London guns where made by individual gunsmiths in the City and then assembled by the named company, maybe the final finish put on by them.  I hope to have this in my possession this weekend so will post up some pictures. 

I did look in the Midland book (https://www.guynsmith.com/product/midland-gun/)  I have (referenced earlier in this thread).  Unfortunately, I can't really add anything other than that the records don't seem to exist/be available.  It seems that the author (Guy N Smith who also owned the Midland Gun Co name) passed away (Covid) on 24th Dec 2020.  Reported here  https://www.guynsmith.com/

13 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I had a couple of guns stocked by Mr K. He initially started at Webley and did, in his time, stock some double rifles that Webley in 6.5x53R made. He hated doing forends!

Most stockers hate forends .They take to much time and people dont like to pay for the hours it takes for such a little piece of wood .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Most stockers hate forends .They take to much time and people dont like to pay for the hours it takes for such a little piece of wood .

Yes! Brendan re-stocked a Webley 700 for me in the Holland's style with a swept stock. To see if I liked that methd. He'd only the finishing of the butt to do and in error then cut my stock to a standard 14 3/4" instead of my 15 3/4". He apologised and said he'd re-stock it at his expense to the correct length. As he said as he cut it he could see the 15 3/4" line marked out! He'd had a "senior moment" before Wogan had invented the word. It was rather unfortunate.

I smiled benovlently and said that that was no problem. Anyone could make a mistake. Just stick a Silver's pad on to bring it to the correct intended length would be OK. Oh...and just one other small thing...would he mind by obliging and re-stocking the forend for me from the offcut from the blank. I'd got him! But good to his word as he always was he put the Silver's pad on and, yes, did a new and matching forend.

And that Holland's style. Nice to shoot but it just looked odd and it is the only gun I ever did have stocked like that although I've always had my fittings done by Holland's but asked for conventional measurements when it's been done.

Edited by enfieldspares