Best Rimfire rifles?

WeihrauchPower

Anshutz would be the best target rifle, CZ is more of a knockabout hunting rifle.

I would de-bate that quite happily Stuart :good: ...........Considering it's factory ammo :good:

Go on then start debating,

For one how many olympic standard target shooters use CZ? None.

Anschutz are the finest target rifles that mere mortals can get their hands on. There are other handmade target rifles but only at a price.

And everyone uses factory ammo, you can't handload rimfire cases, and once they have been fired they are no good anyway.

All factory ammo will shoot better than any of us.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:good: poor glass doesnt have much to do with it at all as long as you can point it in the right direction and it holds zero

Obviously the cheap unbranded scopes off fleabay arent up to much but ive got hawke scopes on there for 28pounds and wouldn't consider them a bad rimfire scope

Sorry but I disagree, having looked through quite a few quality scopes recently (Zeiss, Swaro,Leupold & Nightforce), the difference between them and what I have now is remarkable, especially in low light. The fine reticles are also are large improvement for small quarry.

I can also get the zero to move on my scope by altering the zoom level, probably not noticable on an airgun at 50yds, but makes a big differnce at 200yds

I can also get the zero to move on my scope by altering the zoom level, probably not noticable on an airgun at 50yds, but makes a big differnce at 200yds

But you won't be shooting a .22 at 200 yards.

I have a Meopta on mine which may be a bit over the top, but I reckon a decent airgun scope is good enough as recoil isn't an issue.

But you won't be shooting a .22 at 200 yards.

I have a Meopta on mine which may be a bit over the top, but I reckon a decent airgun scope is good enough as recoil isn't an issue.

I have 17 HMR not a 22, I regularly shoot out to 200yds on still days

Fair enough and i agree there is a huge difference in the quaility of scopes out there from top to bottom but people are saying that a cz with good glass will group the same as an anschutz with poor glass which is rubbish.

For hunting conditions its different your shooting at different ranges so different mag (for some) and different paralax (for some) so in that case yes. And as you said clarity definitly comes into play in low light conditions where you get what you pay for.

I dont think anyone will say a CZ is a better rifle than a Anschutz that would be stupid Anschutz are a better made rifle to a higher standard have excellent triggers and great accuracy.

Point is how many of you guys are olympic target shooters?

For a hunting rifle a CZ is hard to beat in terms of cost and results a CZ will produce 100% kill rates in most cases and more than adequate for hunting purposes. So is an anschutz if you want to pay for it.

Don't we all strive to get the same result? olympic target shot or bunny basher. The ultimate aim is a dead on hit.

If your rifle is not the best then it won't perform the best, I am not knocking CZ I have never used one, I do however own 2 anschutz's both of which are over 20years old.

They will outperform anything the CZ can produce

Really not trying to get into a debate on this so not going to post after this

dont we all strive to get the same result olympic shooter or bunny basher

In my opinion no not at all. Ill speak from my experience i bought a CZ .17hmr couple of months ago and had a .22wmr before that i bought them because they are excellent guns the best within my price range and will do everything i need them to do.

I shoot bunnies mainly because its funand for my enjoyment others do it for pest control i have a great time stalking them and being out in the country and come out with a sense of achievement after it and have something to bring home and eat. My main aim here is to enjoy myself i take my sport seriously and make sure my rifle is on zero but my time is spent enjoying myself not sitting in front of a target shooting countless rounds trying to achieve tight groups its out in the country having a good time.

This is my experience obviously other people shoot rabbits for different reasons and have different views

And to answer the ops original question id say anschutz wouldnt be far off the mark of best production rifle but i would say a cooper is a higher class of gun. Custom guns are another ball game.

And CZ's with a little work have been known to shoot as good as an anshutz with a little trigger work, floating the barrel, recrown and a bedding job. Most of the time you arent talking about much of a difference in group size once you get your rifle and find what ammo it likes it can sometimes be down to a very small margain that an anschutz's are better in accuracy terms. Does it make a difference in a competition yes in hunting no.

Don't we all strive to get the same result? olympic target shot or bunny basher. The ultimate aim is a dead on hit.

If your rifle is not the best then it won't perform the best, I am not knocking CZ I have never used one, I do however own 2 anschutz's both of which are over 20years old.

They will outperform anything the CZ can produce

How do you know Martin ,you have never used a CZ :good: ...............On a serious note there might come a day when CZ's hold the target mantle once the stigma attached to them has gone away .........Success breeds success and if Anschulzt's are taking the medals they'll continue to do so ,that is until some one is radical enough to try a CZ ,albeit a tweaked up one by someone who knows what they are doing which I would'nt imagine that yours are still in the same out of the box format . :good:

The question was "Which company makes the best mid - top range of rifle".

If we include the top range, then it has to be Anschutz or Sako.

Mid range - well it all depends if you consider the price of a CZ to be mid-range.

In my humble opinion most CZ fans have never fired an Anschutz or Sako - they are just happy with what they've got.

However, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY most people would go for Anschutz or Sako.

I currently have an Anschutz 0.17 and a Sako rimmy.

I have had Brno/CZ in the past and with a lot of fiddling and messing about with triggers/bedding/etc., etc they can produce results as near as dammit as good as Anschutz/Sako.

BUT, if you have the money and want a superb shooter out of the box, then I'm sorry but CZ would not be at the top of my list.

Don

Anshutz would be the best target rifle, CZ is more of a knockabout hunting rifle.

I would de-bate that quite happily Stuart :good: ...........Considering it's factory ammo :good:

Go on then start debating,

Anschutz are the finest target rifles that mere mortals can get their hands on. There are other handmade target rifles but only at a price.

And everyone uses factory ammo, you can't handload rimfire cases, and once they have been fired they are no good anyway.

All factory ammo will shoot better than any of us.

Not quite true when you say all factory ammo, my Anschutz hates Remington yellow jackets but loves Winchester? :good: D2D

I have a cz varmint .22 and my old man has an anshutz thumbhole. The anshutz is an outstanding rifle is arguably better than the cz BUT it is twice the price and in terms of accuracy there is nothing between them. Both rifles will out shoot 99.9% of the people using them. It all comes down to how much money you have to spend really.

Just to muddy the water and concerning rimfire calibres only imagine if the tables were turned and Anschulz had to produce a rifle for £265 and CZ for double that ...........Cz must have the lions share of the market and it's down to what you get for the price which is very good value but would I be right in saying that the top manufactuers could not compete ,even if they did set up a base in the CZ Republic for comparitive labour costs .

I for one would bet they are more than capable of building a better rifle than the Anschultz or £500

There was a time I would'nt touch a CZ with a barge pole .........I'm glad I have :good:

Anschutz, Anschutz, Anschutz :good::good::good:

:good: Got one and wouldn't want anything less, this is the best there is :D

Dont listen to the CZ cheapskates Tin hat on :)

How can you call CZ users cheapskates, both makes are just as accurate when used properly, I think it is the man or woman behind the gun that makes it, you can spend thousands on a gun if you want to, if you cant hit anything with it, then there is not much point in having the gun :D

The question was "Which company makes the best mid - top range of rifle".

If we include the top range, then it has to be Anschutz or Sako.

Mid range - well it all depends if you consider the price of a CZ to be mid-range.

In my humble opinion most CZ fans have never fired an Anschutz or Sako - they are just happy with what they've got.

However, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY most people would go for Anschutz or Sako.

I currently have an Anschutz 0.17 and a Sako rimmy.

I have had Brno/CZ in the past and with a lot of fiddling and messing about with triggers/bedding/etc., etc they can produce results as near as dammit as good as Anschutz/Sako.

BUT, if you have the money and want a superb shooter out of the box, then I'm sorry but CZ would not be at the top of my list.

Don

:good::good::good::good::D:D:)

OK I conceed, it is all about horses for courses, My target rifle weighs about 13 pounds and has open sights, not the sort of thing you would want to carry very far.

If I were looking for a bunny gun then I too would probably own a CZ, I do however have another Anschutz bolt action that has a scope on it which cost me £50. I would not hesitate to use that if I had a permission where I could.

As for out of the box standard then Anschutz has the edge over anything produced.

Not quite true when you say all factory ammo, my Anschutz hates Remington yellow jackets but loves Winchester?

Just because remington doesn't suit your barrel doesn't mean it won't shoot better than you can.

I use to use Lapua Master "M" and was scoring fairly well, I changed to Eley Match EPS and my scores improved almost overnight. I may gain another point or so by batch testing Eley Tenex but I do not consider it worth it.

:good:

CZ with high quality glass on top.

Anschutz with fairly good scope.

Going to have a look at some Sako models as well!

Ideally you should go split your budget from 50:50 to 60:40 on scope and rifle...if you buy an Anschutz and put poor glass on it you might as well buy a CZ. At the end of the day I think you may have answered your own question...you can't afford an Anschutz with your current budget. :good::good::good:

I meant CZ with scope £300-400

Or

Anschutz+ scope £200-250

I'm not rich though, but think its time to spend over £100 for a scope, then hopefully it'll last a lifetime.

If you don't feel loaded, why spend a fortune on it? I could go out and spend 1k+ on a rifle if I wanted to. I have a reasonable rate of pay, and live with my dad rent free. Still buying a CZ though, because it can out shoot me! I got a Leupold 3-9x40 for a good price, but if I hadn't spotted a bargain I'd have bought a Simmons. All these rifles will out shoot 99.9% of us, so why make yourself skint over a knats **** worth of accuracy? Just my opinion :good: