Walked up GROUSE days £125pg

BRNDL

Brndl, i apologise i didn't mean to be negative on ur post and not something i usually do. It's just many folk wil have no idea wot sort of money to expect to pay for grouse unlike pheas or partridge or even stalking rates which is widely advertised so u can compare prices/values

There is no doubt 125 is very cheap for a day on the moors, but just be aware the bag is small for the ammount of guns (if limit is enforced) and there is a chance u might not get a shot/bird, just the way it goes sometimes with shooting

The grouse is a fantastic experience if u have never done it even just beating or picking up on a moor is something else.

Usually u would expect to pay twice that althou u would also expect 4 times the bag, also note at this time of year grouse wil be packing up so not as widely spread as when still in the family coveys earlier in the year.

U pay ur money and take ur chance

Hope u get all ur days sold. Good luck

• 2 months later...

I despise this habit of some PW members who calculate the cost per day against the birds shot (price per bird) as the deciding factor as to whether the day is overpriced. It just doesn't work like that on non-commercial or wild bird shoots.

On even a cheap 100 bird driven pheasant shoot, you will pay £25 per bird - with a team 8 guns, that equates to £312 per gun, without travel costs, tips etc. Not everyone can afford that. So £125 for a roughshoot over moorland is pretty good value in my opinion, given that price will afford you the chance of shooting 3 grouse and unlimited snipe, duck etc.

Personally I would sooner spend a day walking-up grouse than standing on a peg waiting for pheasant, and I would jump on this if it was nearer!

I dont get it ... the chap has clearly stated cost and conditions .. its for the individual to decide if its for them .. if people think its expensive, thats fine, simply dont take up the offer. I see it as a spoil yourself day out, if you dont see it like that, simple, move on and read the next thread ...

l'd like a wildfowling day "if they're is such a thing .. but seeing as l wouldn't be a member of a wildfowling club, l'd expect to pay over the top for the chance of the experience .. "thats if l could sfford it" .. if l could, its my decision whether l pay out the asking price ...life needn't be complicated

brndl I just wish me and my son lived closer to your shoot

£125 per day might seem expensive to some and indeed to me to spend £125 per day on shooting I would have to justify it to the mrs (ha ha )

but its the experience that most of us have never had not all of us live near moors and a first time on grouse and good day out with different shooters will always stick in your mind that you cant really put a price on

rob

People see grouse shooting for £90.00 per bird at times for driven and then see this day and think it's steep for walked up. Failing to see these are usually Kate season big bag days that are still very expensive due to the large bag.

Nice price for a go at grouse, so long as you get grouse to shoot at and the chance of making the bag, so if you took 3-1 ratio each gun should ideally get 9 to shoot at to get three.

To be honest a good keeper will assess the guns ability and get birds over them to give them sport, if you have a pocket full of empties and one or no birds for your day you've still had good shooting, it's when you don't get birds over you or even fire the gun for the most part it leaves a bad taste ofthe day.

Edited by figgy

People see grouse shooting for £90.00 per bird at times for driven and then see this day and think it's steep for walked up. Failing to see these are usually Kate season big bag days that are still very expensive due to the large bag.

Nice price for a go at grouse, so long as you get grouse to shoot at and the chance of making the bag, so if you took 3-1 ratio each gun should ideally get 9 to shoot at to get three.

To be honest a good keeper will assess the guns ability and get birds over them to give them sport, if you have a pocket full of empties and one or no birds for your day you've still had good shooting, it's when you don't get birds over you or even fire the gun for the most part it leaves a bad taste ofthe day.

Sometimes it's not about pulling the trigger,

Some will not get the chance to walk a grouse moor without this offer.

Some people on here want 70 to shoot pigeon and might shoot the same amount

Edited by leadbreakfast

People see grouse shooting for £90.00 per bird??? at times for driven and then see this day and think it's steep for walked up. Failing to see these are usually Kate season big bag days that are still very expensive due to the large bag.

I wasn't going to post agian but figgy but i think u have ur sums wrong. It is a 5 brace day (ie 10 birds) so roughly a bird and a bit each.

Most late season days are really quite small bags (or atleast alot smaller than their aug/sept bags) but usually no bag limit, and are usually priced by the brace not bird

Grouse are a 100% wild bird so if u take a day just be prepared for the chance of not lifting ur firing/gun,it is very hard for a keeper to accuately predict/guess where birds will be.

Like i said not trying to put anyone off but just to open there eyes, 125 is really really cheap but if u were unlucky u may not fire a shot so be prepared to just enjoy the day

I don't know this moor and it is a fantasticlly cheap price and if u go to enjoy the day and have an attitude like lead breakfast mention's u will have a brilliant day,

But i would not be surprised if 1, 2 or even 3 guns would not get to fire a shot all day, thats just ur luck on the day but on a different day u may all get shooting, i've ben lucky enough to be invited a a few walked up days and never lifted my gun some have been 8-10 brace days and a gun 2 or 3 below me in line has shot 7 or 8 birds themselves, and i've still had a brilliant day wether i lifted gun or not,

I even picked up on a small moor on a 70ish brace day when between weather and BoP's emptying drives there was 3 guns who never fired a shot all day, a couple got a bit of shooting and 3 or 4 had an absolutely amazing day and shot almost the whole bag with basically the whole moor flying throu just a couple of butts and they just got lucky with there butt numbers and drives. Can still mind 1 of the guns smiles after the final drive, was grinning from ear to ear and was in the hot butt on every drive

Any moor i have been on it is almost impossible to 2nd guess where birds are, only takes something to fly over an will move a lot of birds

With truely wild game it really is in the laps of the shooting gods wot gets up in front off u, so u just have to enjoy ur day wotever happens.

I love the grouse and being on the moors, so u should be booking this up but just be prepared to enjoy the day for the occasion wether ur lucks in or not

Can I also point out the following point made by BRNDL

Unlimited woodcock, snipe, duck, pigeon and rabbit

How much do some pay for pigeon shooting? Duck shooting? and I have seen some walked up woodcock days recently advertised too. Bit of a mixed bag, and IF you get a good crack at even half of that! It's not a bad day out!

I have spent a few days a few year back, out shooting Greys, Snipe and Duck! Got 2 greys and a Snipe. I was chuffed to bits!

Granted, to SOME £125 may be out of reach! I know it is for Me. But the chance to have a go at something different, must be worth £125 if you can easlily afford it.

Without offers like these, A lot of us simply would not GET to shoot game, unless we work hard beating. Last year I put in a full season of beating for free. I got 3 shoots in return. In my estimation and using NMW that would be an 8 hour day at £6.50. thats £52 a days work. times that by say 16 days and it amounts to £832. Now divide that by 3 and it's effectively cost me £277 per shoot + fuel for the whole season too.

BRNDL, Hope you all have a cracking time matey!

• 8 months later...

Hello

First, sorry for my bad english !
I present myself, Maxime Gombart, French, administrator of the departemental federation of hunters (Picardie, Somme, Amiens).
I wish spending my family vacations in 2016 to Scotland (august or october).

At this occasion, my wife would offer me for my birthday (40ans), one or two days of hunting grouse.). Unfortunately the prices are very expensive and I don’t think being able to find a good proposition.
according to you until 180 per day, is it possible??

Also it would be possible to exchange days of hunting, (I will receive in France for hunting and you will receive me).
thank you for your answers, negative or positive!

best regards