Finding Alternative Employment

sitsinhedges

As the years roll by and being a self employed carpenter for the last 30 years takes its toll I'm wondering what alternatives I have available to me as I approach 50 years of age.

I've spent the last couple of days excavating a deep awkward trench by hand looking for a water leak. More archaeology than building, it's left me so sore and isn't carpentry but needs must sometimes.

Thinking aloud, I have to consider that I may not be able to do building work for the next ten years that I need to work if my joints give up on me.

What else could I do?

Without going into too much detail are you dependant of X amount of salary that may effect you doing something like being a van driver on minimum wage?

Are you wanting to be slightly hands on still or are you happy to be office based or driving around?

This is all based on if I can't do my job anymore which isn't the case as yet but I still need to be building my pension pot whatever I do. Minimum wage isn't going to do that.

work for the council like me, just drive about all day or drink tea :lol:

I've been subbing to them on and off for the last 3 years nd they've finally got round to offering me a contract and a permanent job, van, and ppe. I've taken a bit of a hit financially but I know i'm not as quick as I used to be, so earning potential on price work is diminished anyway, also I hate house bashing, it's just production line carpentry, there's no pride in that job. with this one I plumb, plaster, paint, tile and wood butcher to my hearts content, plus with all the extra time off I can do other stuff that I previously had no time for.

time to slow down mate, housing association stock is where it's at if you want an easy ride into retirement.

work for the council like me, just drive about all day or drink tea :lol:

I've been subbing to them on and off for the last 3 years nd they've finally got round to offering me a contract and a permanent job, van, and ppe. I've taken a bit of a hit financially but I know i'm not as quick as I used to be, so earning potential on price work is diminished anyway, also I hate house bashing, it's just production line carpentry, there's no pride in that job. with this one I plumb, plaster, paint, tile and wood butcher to my hearts content, plus with all the extra time off I can do other stuff that I previously had no time for.

time to slow down mate, housing association stock is where it's at if you want an easy ride into retirement.

That doesn't sound a bad idea, already done it in times gone by.

:good:

Good idea but I think you need to be able to teach rather than just possess the particular skill in question.

Edited by sitsinhedges

That doesn't sound a bad idea, already done it in times gone by.

Good idea but I think you need to be able to teach rather than just possess the particular skill in question.

I taught at agricultural colleges very basic practical things, dry stone walling, fencing, bricklaying, and found it very rewarding, you are just imparting knowledge you have gained over the years, surely you have shown apprentices/ trainees how to do stuff, a good start could be evening classes they are often looking for experienced people, I did a certificate in education (pgce) but a good sound knowledge in your subject is more important perhaps do some part time teaching /instruction and a few jobs to top up the money

There is a local lad around here....all he has done for the last 10 years is cut and strim peoples grass....mostly retired and old people living in council bugalows...that sort of thing........he has an old yellow and green P100.....with a ramp and 2 good quality mowers a hedge trimmer and a strimmer.....i know what he charges and it is all cash ...i rekon he pulls back £ 200-250 /day...i know his round and he dosnt go more than 2 villages away.....

to get a gardener in norwich for an hour or 2 once a week people are prepared to pay £15/hour....this is dropping now as there are so many eastern eu bods muscling in on it...........

As the years roll by and being a self employed carpenter for the last 30 years takes its toll I'm wondering what alternatives I have available to me as I approach 50 years of age.

I've spent the last couple of days excavating a deep awkward trench by hand looking for a water leak. More archaeology than building, it's left me so sore and isn't carpentry but needs must sometimes.

Thinking aloud, I have to consider that I may not be able to do building work for the next ten years that I need to work if my joints give up on me.

What else could I do?

What a coincidence I had a conversation with the wife during evening meal tonigh discussing the same thing

I'm in a very similar situation but slightly younger :)

I am yeah, been cutting in a large roof on my own this week and feeling totally knackered , which never used to happen.

last week carrying worktops and breakfast bars in and out while fitting

my body just dont want to do it anymore lol

I think you have to accept you often need another pair of hands and stop lifting things that you shouldn't attempt on your own anymore.

I think you have to accept you often need another pair of hands and stop lifting things that you shouldn't attempt on your own anymore.

True I had a cracking guy helping me out for around a year , but he packed it in because it was (as he said, to hard work) but liked the money and went the social housing route instead

You could try What I and 4 other joiners have done. I am 48 the eldest, the others range from 30 to 37, pool together and help each other when its a two/three/four or five man job? together there is not much we can't take on and as individuals we can fill every gap. Down side is you do inherit their contacts too...........7 day weeks and nights at the moment, forget what I just typed lol. on the up side I get to work along side probably the best bunch of lads going! keeps you young. Guess who was on the scaffolding while the top run of bracing was going in today ;-)