Chamber size selection?

Zeus

Is there any downside to firing 2 3/4 inch catridges from a 3 1/2 inch chambered semi auto 12 bore?

I want to buy a semi auto for pigeon and rough shooting using 2 3/4 cartridges but not sure if I should buy a 3 1/2 chambered gun to cover all bases.

My advice try out the 3-1/2inch chamber auto befor buying as most of them dont like 2-3/4shells only some of the higher end well made guns will cycle the smaller lighter rounds

If you mean 21g loads, yes. My MP153 cycles 24g 70mm pretty well, and

28g and up are fine whatever the case length.

The higher end (i.e. expensive!) guns just allow you to shoot from one end of the range to the other without needing to adjust anything.

I do hear that the Benelli SBE isn't too keen on light loads, but I haven't tried one myself, so take that with a pinch of salt!

I've had two 3 1/2" chambered guns and both fired 2 3/4" carts faultlessly.

24g carts up to big 3 1/2" goose loads.

Only thing I'd say is stick to a big name Winchester Browning Beretta Remington as all theese have been proven to do what you want day in day out.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it is my way.

Figgy

Just another comment reinforcing what Figgy says. I have a Beretta and it has never failed to shoot and cycle anything I have put through it. I find the length of the action takes a bit of getting used to after my o/u but thats the only drawback - great for pigeons with 'Proper' Cartridges in it !

Just another comment reinforcing what Figgy says. I have a Beretta and it has never failed to shoot and cycle anything I have put through it. I find the length of the action takes a bit of getting used to after my o/u but thats the only drawback - great for pigeons with 'Proper' Cartridges in it !

+ one on that .

Harnser

Is there any downside to firing 2 3/4 inch catridges from a 3 1/2 inch chambered semi auto 12 bore?

I want to buy a semi auto for pigeon and rough shooting using 2 3/4 cartridges but not sure if I should buy a 3 1/2 chambered gun to cover all bases.

You don't need 3 1/2" for any of the above uses. Its questionable if 3 1/2" are any real gain in coastal wildfowling. Buy a 3" gun with superior steel proof if buying as it will cover all uses inland, if it becomes a 3 1/2" so be it but its like I say - not required