What Kidda Pellets?

markgodley

Crossman Accupell.

Over penetration doesn't matter when they take the shot in the head.

Also, flat headed pellets have, I have found, a marked drop-off in power and accuracy over 25m.

I used to use bisley pest control in my Falcon, but switched to Bisley LRG and then to Accupell when I realised I could take quarry up to 40m.

Wookie

At the end of the day when you hit them in the right place they will not care what you use. Its all about placement and for me the pointed pellets are not as accurate, therefore I do not use them. Place the pellet directly in line behind the eye and where the "line" coming down from its ears would meet.

''''\/

o-|

Mark,

I use Crossman Accupell in 22 cal when my target is bunny. a head shot at 30 - 40m does the trick and has better stopping power power than the Powapell in the same calibre due to its increased surface area on impact. I would not be confident that a head shot with a Powapell at the same range would produce a clean kill as often.

Of all the pellets I have tried over 25 years of air rifle shooting I would say that the Accupell is the best all round pellet for impact energy and accuracy. ( Just my opinion)

That said, if Pigeon, maggy or crow is my target I prefer to use a .177 Cal with a Powapell as in this situation I do require the better penetration.

You dont say which type of rifle you use which will obviously have a bearing on your accuracy. For .22 work I use generally use a BSA Hornet or tuned Webley Raider. For .177 I have a HW90K (Gas Ram) which of all the guns I have is the most superbly accurate.

I would add that 40 m is the maximum range for a head shot bunny at 12ft lb and I would try and cut that down by 5 -10 m if I could. I would not be confident of a clean kill at 40 m every time and I consider myself to be a reasonable shot.

I would advise you to try the Powapell and when you get used to it stick with it.

Good shooting :huh: :thumbs: FM.

You have to couple over penetration with penetration for pigeons. Idealy you want a lung to heart penetration for your pigeon, but i have found that the hobby pellets do not even get past the breast meat, adding fuel to the myths that pigeons are "armour plated". Every .177 point ive tried has over penetrated unless it has met with some serious bone. Any hollow points i find to be a good medium. I use H+N Hollows.

For squirrels you can use anything if its a head shot. You'l kill with a quick hemerage if not by penetrating the skull.

ACCUPELLS every time for me but thats because they perform the best in my Gun, I have tried every type and shape but these fit snuggly and out perform the rest , a little lube helps aswell.

If wondering which is best for your Gun you will have to do as I did and try them all.

BIG BILL :lol:

Ps. you can buy pellet kits for about a tenner.

• 1 month later...

or the other option to big bill responce is to do what your doing now.....asking the rest of us....ie finding the best suited to the beesa lightning, dont know myself but im sure there are peeps on here who do. different makes like different ammo, trial and error mate but help yourself and wallet by narrowing the selection down abit via the peeps on here i did it for my air arms s410k and it saved me a fortune to spend on other goodies.... :huh: