Stock refinish

Bogwoppit

Yes, I've been doing that over a long period, lots of heat.

To get rid of hardened oil there's a product known as Oxalic acid, it's made from Rhubarb leaves and comes in crystal form..

I used to good effect as a bath to remove dried in oil, we used to get it a few years ago at work as it's the only way of breaking down the resin that holds the grinding stones together!! It used to land on the cars and leave the paintwork feeling like sandpaper!! :D

Also, I've used bleach baths to whiten the wood which gets rid of blotchiness, some folk said that it cracked their stocks but i've done probably more than twenty and never had one split :|

THIS is the stuff and quite cheap off fleabay :good:

Good luck with the resto ;)

John :)

johnbaz - that is quality work. Well done. :good::good: :good: :good:

Thanks Gordon

The chap that they belonged to tried redoing them with a kit that had Truoil in, i've never used Truoil as i'm not a lover of the high gloss finish but when he brought them to me they were stuck to the cloths that he'd wrapped them in :/

It can't be seen from the pic but they were covered in lint!!

Strangely they Truoil seemed to mask the grain and made them look washed out..

EFRar1u.jpg

6CCeQTe.jpg

The tacky oil came off easily with Nitromors but the original finish that Custom Stocks of Sheffield used wouldn't budge :no:

Had to rub every bit away apart from the stippling as it would have been lost :whistling:

Cheers, John :)

Hi Bogwoppit

Do you know to rub the oil in with your hand and keep rubbing 'til your hand becomes hot?, If not it may not dry out :no:

Here's a couple of Daystate stocks that I refinished for a chap after he tried painting on truoil! :oops:

DO6vDkY.jpg

I used Welsh Willies' kit which has everything needed including shellac based grain sealer, Alkanet root oil, water based walnut dye, rubbing cloths, wire wool and other bits!!

Good luck with the resto :good:

John :)

They look fantastic

That's just the lack of penetration from tru oil. It can be used and you can get a good finish, but it has to be used right and it is not a quick fix. Even still its a poor mockery of a linseed oil finish, which for the cost and enjoyment of doing it is preferable every time.

Those stocks are American walnut by my reckoning just from what i can see, and Alkanet root oil on American walnut under an oil finish works wonders. American walnut can easily look washed out and even the plainer pieces come to life with color and contrast after some alkanet root ( as you have found ) . On really really well figured American walnut however i have found at times it can take up so much of the alkanet to the point where it actually destroys the contrast by making the stock overly dark. Sanding to a very high grit prior to oiling will prevent the wood from taking up too much oil too quickly and becoming overly dark.

The only other thing with buying boiled linseed oil is that very occasionally i get a bottle that will not create a finish at all. When this is the case i find carefully heating the oil ( not boiling it ) in the microwave and then allowing it to cool helps cure this.

• 2 weeks later...

Stock finished and gun reassembled.

It's an old enough stock that has had some abuse over the years but I'm happy with how it's turned out.

The marks still on it give it a bit of character and tell a story I suppose.

On review, the only thing I would do different next time would be to stain the fore end a bit darker so that it matches the stock a bit better.

Doing the job was a lot easier than I'd imagined, it just takes time and elbow grease!

I assume that the linseed oil finish is enough to protect the stock from the weather when I'm out or should I give it a coat of something else for a bit more protection?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bw

Edited by Bogwoppit

Stock finished and gun reassembled.

It's an old enough stock that has had some abuse over the years but I'm happy with how it's turned out.

The marks still on it give it a bit of character and tell a story I suppose.

On review, the only thing I would do different next time would be to stain the fore end a bit darker so that it matches the stock a bit better.

Doing the job was a lot easier than I'd imagined, it just takes time and elbow grease!

I assume that the linseed oil finish is enough to protect the stock from the weather when I'm out or should I give it a coat of something else for a bit more protection?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bw

Linseed oil has been used to protect wood since the roman times! (Or so I read somewhere!!)

You shouldn't need anything else except perhaps a bit of beeswax (y)