Shooting on Rape

Mr Wasp

Hello

As a relatively new (but hooked) pigeon shooter i would appreciate some advise on the best time to shoot on Rape.

Ive had a couple of great days shooting on corn the last couple of years and the farm on which i have permission is very helpful.

He has recently seeded rape which is starting to shoot.

My question is when is the best time for decoying. Are the pigeons interested in the young shoots now or mid winter when they are hungry.

Many thanks for some tips

You can expect the birds to start on rape pretty much anytime from now onwards, it all depends on what other food is available.

Last year in my area there was a massive acorn crop and the birds never really hit the rape seriously throughout the Winter, this year, with no acorns about it may be different.

Recce your fields regularly, if the birds are there, then go, if not, don't bother.

Cat.

Yea the rape is getting away very quick needs some cold weather to slow it up a bit then there might be some pigeons getting on the rape

Don't worry the cold weather will knock it right back soon. It's the semi bald and short patches

they will look to land in and feed. I don't think it will be too long as other food is sources are getting

eaten up fast and the Ivy Berries are not ready yet. I hope the dont flock up too big like a couple of

years ago.

Yea the rape is getting away very quick needs some cold weather to slow it up a bit then there might be some pigeons getting on the rape

Definitely agree. It's tall already a good hard frost should help slow it up. I'm off for the rest of the week so I'll look about and see what they're on.

They're starting on it around these parts, although not in big numbers yet.

I watched a dozen or so birds on a field today through the binos, and they were definitely eating the rape, not the weeds that tend to grow up around it.

Cat

That's good news if you're seeing them Cat, hopefully we will see some soon as well being not far from your permisions....

We haven't looked for a week or so, we will start checking again every few days.

Cos

Motty.........have you shot birds with rape in their crop yet.?.........ive seen the odd pigeon on rape now...but it seems here more damage to the rape is being done by the partridge.....

No, I've been spending most of my time in the pursuit of wildfowl, lately. I will keep an eye on the rape, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The pigeons have been on the rape for the last 5 weeks. Not in vast numbers and the maximum I have shot is one session is 15. At least it is a bit of practice before they hit the rape a lot harder. Went out earlier today and even though it was quite foggy they were still on the rape. Only shot 2 in 30 minutes but then gave up as the fog got a bit thicker

Yes, I do believe it's the Beech Mast that's kept the Woodies off the Rape fields in any numbers.

I noticed a good few birds today feasting under the Beech trees, several mates have told me that the large Beech forests are full of birds.. :sad1:

It's such a pity, considering how few acorns there are about, they should be hammering the Rape about now, but it hasn't happened.. :no:

Cat.