What to feed ducks

Shooting2

My season is going better than expected, hope everyone else is doing well? So far had 2 teal a wigeon and 5 mallard. I'm lucky enough to have a flooded stubble field with over 2ft of water in places, we have Bern feeding it and shooting every other week and large numbers of duck are just starting show, between 50 and 60 birds coming on every night. We have been feeding with wheat and barley however the other day a farming friend have me 4 bags of maize, my question is will maize be ok to feed for the ducks, and will the ducks eat it or should I crush it in a corn crusher which is what I plan to do? Or just stick to the wheat and barley which is what we've been feeding? Appologies if this seems a daft question however if the ducks will eat the maize it seems daft not too seen as though I can get it free. Any other comments are greatly received

Edited by Shooting2

I look after a good flight pond, and like you sometimes stuff comes free! at the moment I'm on grain store sweepings it's got everything in it.

It's got rape in, tick beans and peas in it! Every night its all cleared up and a good head of duck are in, I'm sure you will be fine, with the cost of wheat anything free is a bonus, only thing we don't use is potatoes the pond is rammed with carp and the owner doesn't want them in.

Cheers guys, thought I'd ask cos wasn't too shore about it and didn't want to pit it down an they don't eat it. And where feeding it everyday only enough for them to eat so that they don't stay all day plus so it doesn't attract too many rats, we only take two mallard each per flight and a teal or two if we can while either of us gets our pair of mallard then leave the rest to come in

Shoot the blighters before they clear off elsewhere as the winter progresses......lol on my pond we have barley corn wheat and ala carte rotten spuds they love them, float a pallet out ply on top cavity board below timber upstand to keep chopped spuds on top they will clear it in no time and spuds last few days so if you miss a note with the grain the still have some pickins..........

Edited by millrace