Our little rough shoot

Wildfowler12

Went through Nantwich on the way there and on the way back. Went to Snugburys Jersey Ice cream farm for a cheer up on the way back.

Mine was a double sugar cone with Honey comb and fudge and OH had Rasberry ripple and clotted cream vanilla. :):good:

Did have the compass in the Tramper locker in case we got lost. Could have put OH's scouting skills to good use.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We had another one of them days today... 😁

82BEBDC7-0633-409F-B730-3F2F4A33EBD9.jpg

This was the view that greated us on arrival. It looks nice but it's a hard slog walking through the stuff.

Needless to say the birds were tucked up in the woods, so the bag was a small one this time. A great day none-the-less :good:

Rolo working the banks...

7F299DBC-B55A-46B1-9C4B-FA4407081872.jpg

The mornings view...

40F428DD-52AC-493A-B146-F3D3819D3215.jpg

We pushed the heather through next...

AA2F3C3D-AACF-41D0-BC1E-99DB9CF9A65A.jpg

Which produced a nice woodcock, and a very good retrieve for the mut :good:

1218FAFC-9CD2-4E4B-87C8-DFC06B170C6B.jpg

I finished on a woodcock, a magpie and a fox. Missed a cock pheasant and put another 5 up which were not shot at.

What a brilliant read!

Would anyone mind letting me know what the sort of costs and time commitments might be to join a small group like this? Assume minimal knowledge of game shoots!

This looks like my perfect idea of a regular winter haunt :-D

What a brilliant read!

Would anyone mind letting me know what the sort of costs and time commitments might be to join a small group like this? Assume minimal knowledge of game shoots!

This looks like my perfect idea of a regular winter haunt :-D

Money wise, it all depends on what you want out of the shoot, weather you have to rent the land, buy in birds, feed, equipment etc. keep it small scale, 10ish birds a day, some ex layers 100 or so and keep feeding, I'm sure you can do it for only a couple hundred pound each between a small group of friends. I suppose it's what a lot of friends aspire to, but finding the right land is the key!

Commitment, well how long is a piece of string! The more you feed, the more you cut rides the more your are generally on the shoot the more you will get out of it!

Guest rimotu66

Money wise, it all depends on what you want out of the shoot, weather you have to rent the land, buy in birds, feed, equipment etc. keep it small scale, 10ish birds a day, some ex layers 100 or so and keep feeding, I'm sure you can do it for only a couple hundred pound each between a small group of friends. I suppose it's what a lot of friends aspire to, but finding the right land is the key!

Commitment, well how long is a piece of string! The more you feed, the more you cut rides the more your are generally on the shoot the more you will get out of it!

Agreed, but do not forget that any 'working' syndicate, say of 8 guns there will only ever be 2 or 3 that ever do any of the work, the rest will turn up on shoot day and moan if they disagree with the way the day is run or the lack of birds.

Dafydd, yours definitely looks like a shoot I would love to be part of :good:

Edited by rimotu66

I have to mirror Daffyd's comments...

For us, the rent is reasonably cheap at £1300/yr (given the acerage). Poults where at £3.65/bird this year, and we turned out 200. Wheat has been a good price this year too, though we've not fed anywhere near as much as we should have, that's the problem with being so far away from the land!

As has been said, they'll be individuals that you never see, and some that turn up everytime. But Summer WILL be busy if you go down the poult route. A friend of mine uses ex-layers on his ground and has good results, we've not explored this on our shoot... Yet??

The bottom line is the more you put in, the more you'll get out :good:

• 2 weeks later...

One final wintry walk...

I had received a number of invitations off some very generous friends for the final day of the season, but there was only one place I wanted to be. The wife was available too, so we woke early, loaded the boot with goodies (and a spade - just incase), and set off to 'our little rough shoot'.

The local villages showed only a light dusting of white on the cottage roofs, but as we climbed the big hill, the temperature started to drop, and the snow thickened. When we neared the summit, the road got VERY slippery, despite it being recently ploughed...

A1702E2B-62BD-43CE-B9CD-1B0E97FEF914.jpg

After a bumpy mile, we had made it to the farm, but it was clear that any pheasants where going to be tucked up somewhere warm. So expecting nothing, we booted up and head off to see if anything was milling about.

3D89C37A-AA67-46CF-B431-6F94CF3EBC8F.jpg

The open fields were ridiculously hard to walk through, easily 5 inches deep with snow drifts up to your waist.

33370F0C-1C06-4BCE-8E32-A1EA0F4F4094.jpg

But the rushy patches weren't as bad, particularly those with water running through. So we concentrated on them, and it wasn't long before a few snipe appeared, offering some testing shots.

D0997C13-775D-41C5-9010-AA6456E4B470.jpg

With a couple in the bag, we head back to the car and fired up the cooking stove. We indulged on goose stew and crusty cobs, washed down with a drop of Glenfiddich. The dog had worked hard all morning, and was rewarded with a small portion too!

1C84EA80-9133-43B6-9307-245575E53DEC.jpg

After lunch we pushed one more area through, and the pheasants gave us the runaround! As I approached the heather, I could see 2 cocks and a hen the other side of the fence, running down the side of the wood. This particular piece has been problematic all year, as there is a pheasant sized hole half way down the fence. I'm convinced that once the birds hear the car door shut, they all make their way to this cubby hole, and jump back in the safety of the neighbouring wood - we don't have permission in this bit.

As expected, the dog did his nut when we reached this area, plenty of scent, but no birds to show for it, however the fresh tracks in the snow proved my theory :lol: A little further along, the dog flushed a nice cock, which I missed with both barrels, ahh well! And on that bombshell, I decided to call an end to another memorable season.

2788504A-433F-4166-99DC-062976A0DC4D.jpg

A QUICK SEASON SUMMARY - The weather was against us this year, as the shoot has pretty much been covered in thick snow since Boxing Day. We managed to have 5 'organised' days, although they where poorly attended due to work and shoot clashes, and one of them was 'fogged off' at lunch. We then threw the shoot open in January, with a limit of a brace pheasant per gun per day. I'm just waiting on bag numbers from a couple of people, but I think we've made the low 30's this season (pheasant), with a dozen or so wild quarry (woodcock/snipe) featuring in the bag, excluding vermin.

I suspect they'll be some more membership places available next year, so keep an eye out in the 'shooting available' section if you think you may be interested. Many thanks for all your kind words throughout the season :good:

A nice read there Todd :good:

I also took a last trip up there on Friday after our day on the woodcock, well it was only 10 miles away so would have been rude not to. The snow was, like Todd said, a light dusting in the valley bottom, but as you climbed the lane up to the top it got a little deeper.

20150130_141922_zpsf84a739f.jpg

But the views were spectacular.

This is a complete 360 degree view.

20150130_142034_zpsvsog9rkl.jpg

Sorry about the twisted neck.

I parked up in our usual parking area and set off in the direction of the heather below the flight pond. No sooner than I was in the field, Indy flushed a lone hen which I duly dropped with a single shot.

A little later on, a cock flushed but at the time I was negotiating a fence, always the way :/

Indy and I then went over to the rushes in the hope there might be a snipe about.

Unfortunately the snow was too deep which made progress slow, especially through the drifts.

I decided to call it a day after about a hour and a half but took another panoramic view from the rushes.

Panorama%20glyn_zpszlpxuxvr.jpg

Indy with the hen she flushed, I shot and she retrieved.

Indyatglyn_zps6a73c246.jpg

I have had some good times up here and met some good chaps. I enjoyed chatting to Bill, who has been shooting up here since he could walk with a gun and he knows the ground very well with some great tales to tell. Todd runs the shoot very well and is truly passionate about it.

I have had some great and memorable shots up here, especially the first cock I shot, a 50 yard+ crosser from left to right retrieved by Indy.

My total bag was only 3 from three and a half visits. Plenty of opportunities for snipe, but my reaction/identification time was too slow :/ oh well, maybe next season.

Thank you to Todd, Bill, Peter, Andrew and Russ for your company this season.

One last word

LEEEEEOOOOOOO ;):lol:

Edited by shoot and be safe

Less of the handbags please everyone.

Mark, the pics suggest you took the steep hill to the summit? You're a braver man than me, I went the back way, in fact, I've taken the back road since December! Haha

I should have said earlier, many thanks to SABS (Mark), victorismyhero (Andrew) and Russdy (Russ), for your contribution this year. I hope you've had some memorable visits, and I'd be interested to see any pictures you may have snapped whilst we've been out.

Having just glanced at the bag return, my personal tally this season was 12 pheasant, 3 woodcock and 3 snipe :good:

Thanks again to you all, the hard work will start again soon enough :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It's that time of year again!

Here's a few snaps from today's walk round the boundaries. The bag was a small one, with only 3 pheasants and a hare finding their way into it. A couple more birds flushed without being shot at, and the odd snipe proved to be too difficult on this occasion. Ah well, they're there for next time :good:

D4379DB3-9446-48BD-9831-CA700A1067EE.jpg

6D4EFA79-9427-4855-B992-9157CB8F5683.jpg

488671C5-99D7-44A2-976E-B84A0BCEDAAB.jpg

Here's wishing you all a successful and enjoyable season! And a warm welcome to our 2 new members from PW - 2sledge and Karl_h

1BC83008-0517-46B4-94C8-BF44E5F59B90.jpg