Essex Gun Masters

Mungler

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellant news then Mungler.

So whats the Format then, we all turn up on mass and Pay or do we pay before the day?

Do we know what the squad(s) are?

Do we know what time we start?

Do we have time to get to a ground nearby and have a warm up first?

Do we know if they've already engraved MC's name on the trophy as a formality? :no::)

Do they have my name on the wooden Spoon? :good:

Do they have PW corporate entertasinment sorted? :yes:

Will you ask for a refund on the guns you have bought from Essex Gun if you don't win? ;)

SS :unsure:

Martin,

I'm pretty sure that last years entry fee was £60, shouldn't be any more than that this year.

Cat.

£60? ? ?

I only want to shoot a few clays, I have no need for a new gun. Although I did fall in love with the new Marrochi that is in the new BASC mag.

Not badly priced either.

Martin,

I'm pretty sure that last years entry fee was £60, shouldn't be any more than that this year.

Cat.

£60? ? ?

I only want to shoot a few clays, I have no need for a new gun. Although I did fall in love with the new Marrochi that is in the new BASC mag.

Not badly priced either.

Well, you are shooting 200 targets, if you were to shoot 2 x 100 bird shoots at different grounds in a day, as I do quite often, you'd probably pay between £64 and £70, so it ain't that bad..??

Cat.

I know Cat, I was only joking. I have heard through the grapevine that Mungler is paying for the PW team anyway.

Yeah good one, you're a comical genius. Mind you, you were personally and specially "schooled" by John Inman and Michael Barrymore - I heard reports of you being seen yesterday with a tear in your eye and wearing a black arm band - I assume that this relates to the death of John Inman and not the fact that there will be no swimming again this year with Michael.

Joking aside Cat, do you shoot gold plated clays where you go? We paid £47 for 200 clays at Lakenheath. Granted there is the competition factor here which means some monies go into the prize fund, but even so I think £74 to be a tad expensive ;)

Mungler,

Why does MC need Micheal to go swimming, he does a good enough job on his own when he goes wildfowling! :lol:

SS :(

PS when do we get the lo-down on the format for the day then mate.

Joking aside Cat, do you shoot gold plated clays where you go? We paid £47 for 200 clays at Lakenheath. Granted there is the competition factor here which means some monies go into the prize fund, but even so I think £74 to be a tad expensive :lol:

Mungler,

Why does MC need Micheal to go swimming, he does a good enough job on his own when he goes wildfowling! :lol:

PS when do we get the lo-down on the format for the day then mate.

SS,

The clays I shoot at are not Gold plated, but I reckon some are coated with a lead resistant compound because, if my official average is to be believed, approx 12.5% of the damn things sail on unbroken..!! ;)

I don't know where your £74 comes from but you paid the going rate for practice at Lakenheath, which is £20 - £25 per 100 birds, add the cost of hiring at least a dozen scorers, which you didn't have 'cos you used those awful Claymate counters, then most shoots add about £6 per competition entry to go into the prize pot, and you're then well over £30 per entry.

Re your earlier point about practicing somewhere else first, I wouldn't bother unless you're shooting very late in the day, as there's a 20 bird compact Sporting Pool shoot there that you can practice on. If you've got a bit of time to kill, why not walk the course first to see how others are doing, you can then formulate a grand plan on how you're going to tackle each stand. ;)

Also be warned, the food isn't up to much, just the usual burgers / hotdogs from a van, so don't expect Haute Cuisine..!! :lol:

Cat.

Sorry Cat, I meant £64-70.

So are you entering this then and if so what date? Good point about the pool shoot and walk round. Mungler what time?:lol:?:lol:?:D?:/?:lol:??

MC,

You can dream on mate, I'm well up for this challange. I've decided to book a couple of lesson before hand now to ensure Victory will be mine :lol:;);)

For the benefit of those who cannot be bothered to read the earlier bit of this thread.

Squad of 9 is okay and we are all booked in.

We need to be there by 11 a.m. on the day (Friday 20th April 2007)

The sqaud is:

Mungler

Suffolk Shooter

Stealth Stalker

Tosspot

BTMS

PIN

Farmerguy.22

The Stalker

Martin Cavie.

Our slot is 11.40 a.m. hence be there for 11.00 a.m.

It is likely we will be split into two squads following oneanother.

That's as much as I know.

If there is some messing about to be had before hand then I am up for it whatever it may be. I still don't quite know what a pool shoot is, however, I hope it is not reference to Cavie taking swimming lessons with Barrymore.

Sorry Cat, I meant £64-70.

So are you entering this then and if so what date? Good point about the pool shoot and walk round. Mungler what time?:D?:/?:lol:?:o?:D??

MC,

You can dream on mate, I'm well up for this challange. I've decided to book a couple of lesson before hand now to ensure Victory will be mine ;):lol::lol:

SS ;)

SS,

I always shoot this event first thing on the final day, that means if I am up for any winnings I can collect them on the day, that's the logic anyway. :(

I'm afraid I've never come anywhere near winning this event, I should be able to shoot about a 175 but I usually end up anywhere from 160 - 165. :) As I said, the winning score is likely to be around 190 - 192.

It's a tough layout, the targets are comparable to what you can expect at the British or English Open, you've got to work for absolutely every single one.

Most people lose it completely over the last 75 - 50 targets. :lol:

Cat.

MC,

You can dream on mate, I'm well up for this challange. I've decided to book a couple of lesson before hand now to ensure Victory will be mine

Tell Cavie to bring his tight leather trunks,as there is a nice lake there..!!

**** on both accounts,

SS,

You could have a lesson every day till the 20th you still won't make the grade :( :lol:

Cat,

Are you trying to tell us that you have a thing for blokes in tight leather trunks? I only go swimming fully clothed in february

Tell Cavie to bring his tight leather trunks,as there is a nice lake there..!! ;)

Cat.

oh mate

now i have this mental image of Martin coming in his trunks :( :lol:

ps

the stalker eh?

i wonder if we have a bandit in our midst (no pin calm down, not that sort of bandit)

In my quest for greatness (ok, ok Mediocrity), I have secured the services of no less than a GB team coach for the benefit of primarily Skeet, but also general sporting "Birds". I have the first meeting with him on the 7th April.

Cheers BTMS for the Card, he's just as nice to speak to as his brother is. I'm over Parkford for the morning with him. Reasonable rates as well, in fact he said that if he couldn't help me, they would be no charge (other than the cartridges and clays used) :lol: . Looks like I may make this a regular thing if all goes well.

I can see this being the first step to Olympic Gold in 2012. :(

I mentioned about my left arm weakening towards the end at lakenheath, and mentioned to him that I felt i was relying to much on my left hand to hold the gun, (All wrong as left hand, for those right handed, should guide the gun not hold it), and straight away he said that he had an exercise to help overcome that. So I look forward to that.

MC,

Bring it on mate, I'm feeling confident now. Still don't expect much more than 150-160 at the Essex Masters, but we'll see ;)

SS ;)

In my quest for greatness (ok, ok Mediocrity), I have secured the services of no less than a GB team coach for the benefit of primarily Skeet, but also general sporting "Birds". I have the first meeting with him on the 7th April.

Cheers BTMS for the Card, he's just as nice to speak to as his brother is. I'm over Parkford for the morning with him. Reasonable rates as well, in fact he said that if he couldn't help me, they would be no charge (other than the cartridges and clays used) :lol: . Looks like I may make this a regular thing if all goes well.

I can see this being the first step to Olympic Gold in 2012. :(

I mentioned about my left arm weakening towards the end at lakenheath, and mentioned to him that I felt i was relying to much on my left hand to hold the gun, (All wrong as left hand, for those right handed, should guide the gun not hold it), and straight away he said that he had an exercise to help overcome that. So I look forward to that.

MC,

Bring it on mate, I'm feeling confident now. Still don't expect much more than 150-160 at the Essex Masters, but we'll see ;)

SS ;)

SS,

We're way off topic now, but who cares, anyway the position of your left hand on the forend is something that I've experimented with over the years.

I've found that I can control the gun movement better if I use a "long" hold, i.e.the tip of my left thumb is flush with the end of the forend.

If I use a shorter hold, I can swing the gun faster, and I very often use this grip on very fast low driven targets, but for all round Sporting and Skeet targets, the "long" hold definitely works for me.

Try it today and see how you get on..??

Cat.

MC,

SS i admire your optimism 160ex 200 = 80% AA class or there abouts :lol:;)

I have found as cat says that the further back your hand on the fore end the faster the gun will move

Yep, when I picked a gun up in the gun shop the bloke said "ah you shoot pigeons" - with the hand near the trigger it's for whippy snap shooting. When I had a lesson, I was told time and again to move my hand further down the gun for greater stability and smooth tracking.

MC,

Bring it on mate, I'm feeling confident now. Still don't expect much more than 150-160 at the Essex Masters, but we'll see :lol:

SS :good:

SS i admire your optimism 160ex 200 = 80% AA class or there abouts :lol::lol:

I have found as cat says that the further back your hand on the fore end the faster the gun will move

TP,

It is not optimism, he plans on doing two rounds, 150 / 160 out of 400 is his normal stamp.

SS,

We're way off topic now, but who cares, anyway the position of your left hand on the forend is something that I've experimented with over the years.

I've found that I can control the gun movement better if I use a "long" hold, i.e.the tip of my left thumb is flush with the end of the forend.

If I use a shorter hold, I can swing the gun faster, and I very often use this grip on very fast low driven targets, but for all round Sporting and Skeet targets, the "long" hold definitely works for me.

Try it today and see how you get on..??

Cat.

Cat,

I usually have my left hand on the edge of the forend, but think I may in fact be over reaching, thus causing undue muscle tension, and fatigue as rounds go on. I totally agree with your comment on whippy gun by bringing left hand closer, Digweed style.

"SS i admire your optimism 160ex 200 = 80% AA class or there abouts"

TP,

I hadn't thought of it in those terms, oh well star in the making coming through :good:

MC,

You're just getting Bitchy or is it scared :lol: In all seriousness, I don't really care what score I end up with, because never having shot it before I have nothing to benchmark it against. Therefore I will go out and try to achieve the best score possible on the day. Then next year I can do it again, but expect to have improved significantly against this years. Baby steps first before progressing onwards, methinks.

Guys, what ever the scores of any of us, I'm sure that we'll all have a great day together and that at the end of the day as always, the mickey will be taken readily on here. That after all is the aim of the day to enjoy and learn :lol::lol:

SS :lol: