Fox shooting in residential area

Harry136

Frankly, I wouldn't even think about it. The reasons why not are legion but the one that sticks out is the probable loss of your SGC. Dependent upon the nature of the "residential area" a LR used by someone with an open licence from said location would be the better option......but even then? A trap may be better or better yet if you know how it's getting onto your property, 'fence' it off.

Yup. Shotguns are very loud. Expect lots of complaints, armed police in the area, considerable grief, etc, etc.

If you can, then I'd suggest a cage trap, and a friend with either a moderated 410, or a 22LR and subsonics.

Regarding disposal, a wheelie bin, or sling it under a hedgerow outside of town.

I think the OP meant that he was going to shoot the fox from the elevated location using, we're now told, the moderated 410.

A moderated 410, (presumably) with subsonic shells. Not exactly what I would use for an elevated shot on a fox, far too great a chance of wounding a fox at anything but the closest of ranges. And if that happens, then with the surrounding environment, he isn't in any realistic position to track and dispatch it.

My thought on your dilemma would be this, you are in my opinion unlikely to kill said fox with one shot at the given range with your weapon and ammunition of choice therefore the fox is likely to escape wounded into an adjacent property the owners upon discovering the wounded animal are almost certain to call the RSPCA and/or the Police and then your fox predicament will diminish to become the very least of your problems. ‘Happy Hunting’! :whistling:

Recently a very large fox has been trying to attack my cat. Would it be possible for me to shoot the fox on my own private property ? I would of course inform the police and my neighbours, i am intending to shoot the fox from an elevated location with a shotgun. Any help?

a 22 would be a better

Yup. Shotguns are very loud. Expect lots of complaints, armed police in the area, considerable grief, etc, etc.

If you can, then I'd suggest a cage trap, and a friend with either a moderated 410, or a 22LR and subsonics.

Regarding disposal, a wheelie bin, or sling it under a hedgerow outside of town.

So are all the 1000's of mega fireworks the masses have been letting off for the past week....no one does a hoot about that...

Some of those bangs are off the scale compared to a 12 bore round.

.22 might not be conditioned to shoot a fox or he might not have a fac...also .22 will travel a long way if he misses...

TEH

So are all the 1000's of mega fireworks the masses have been letting off for the past week....no one does a hoot about that...

Some of those bangs are off the scale compared to a 12 bore round.

.22 might not be conditioned to shoot a fox or he might not have a fac...also .22 will travel a long way if he misses...

TEH

If you have a 22LR for pest/vermin control, and the police say that you need to get it 'conditioned' for fox, then please ask them to put that fact in writing. In addition, my post involved dispatch of a fox in a cage trap

If you can, then I'd suggest a cage trap, and a friend with either a moderated 410, or a 22LR and subsonics

I'd be very disappointed if any FAC holder was capable of missing a fox in a cage trap, at a range of considerably less than 3 feet.

The Home Office document says this (section 13.25) :

.22 rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around farm buildings and paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to ensure a humane kill.

Note : all bold highlighting by myself.

So if a person has an 'open' FAC (which they'd need to have to come round to dispatch the cage-caught fox), then it is entirely their call as to whether or not it is a 'safe' shot, and as to whether it will ensure a humane kill. By virtue of having an 'open' FAC, they are deemed to be an 'experienced person' and would be complying with the law.

If you have a 22LR for pest/vermin control, and the police say that you need to get it 'conditioned' for fox, then please ask them to put that fact in writing. In addition, my post involved dispatch of a fox in a cage trap

I'd be very disappointed if any FAC holder was capable of missing a fox in a cage trap, at a range of considerably less than 3 feet.

.22 rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around farm buildings and paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to ensure a humane kill.

So if a person has an 'open' FAC (which they'd need to have to come round to dispatch the cage-caught fox), then it is entirely their call as to whether or not it is a 'safe' shot, and as to whether it will ensure a humane kill. By virtue of having an 'open' FAC, they are deemed to be an 'experienced person' and would be complying with the law.

What no fireworks....................lol.....oh come on just a little sparkler... :oops:

Are you going to write the next chapter of War and Piece.............

There is no such thing as an open ticket as all fac's have a condition attached to them....when you find one with out then put that in writing.......... :innocent:

TEH

There is no written explanation of what 'experienced person' actually means from the writers. This could be misconstrued and in court could be argued on both sides.