• Venison
    • Boar
    • Goose
    • Fox (LOL!!)
    • Other...

• 2 weeks later...
For me, it's got to be woodcock!!

PS has anyone ever eaten fox?

I remember reading a book some time agoo which described a Victorian eccentric who set about eating just aboout every animal native to the UK.  I seem to remember that he said that most were edible, except weasels and earthworms which had an unpleaseant bitter taste!! <_<

yea, he ate a mole didn't he? )Pheasent, definatly

In an old book on Yorkshire Folklore, it described a way that they used to prepare fox flavoured brandy in the 16 and early 1700s. A fox mask was brought to the inn, washed and immersed in the brandy for several hours. The mask was lifted out and then the liquor was poured through it into the tankards (described as having "dripped from Reynard's Tongue"). I have also read accounts of a pie for a festival being made from saddle of fox.

"Fox saddle pie was very popular in london on that fateful year of 1666. The afformentioned pie often lead to disalousion and want to burn ones house to the ground. The pie also left the eater with round, black warts, known as bubos. Said bubobs cause death within a few days and is highly contageous," - Missing pages from Samual Peyps diary.

Has anyone on here ever ate rook? :D

I saw "A cook on the wild side" one night and Mr Witingstall (Don't Know if thats spelt right) was cooking it and he said it was very nice. But then again in my personal opinion that man would eat **** if you told him he could put it in his larder. :lol: :yp: :P

• 6 months later...
I eat every rook I shoot. Tastes just like pigeon, same colour ,but a bit smaller (brest meat only)

I have to admit the meat looks the same but i couldn't get myself to eat them. Although I probably would cook them up for the dogs.

why not their main diet consists of grubs and seeds(i think)not like crows and maggies which eat anything thats going.Fox on the other hand,dunno suppose if you cooked it long enough with onions,garlic and quite a bit of red wine it would probally taste ok :D

• 3 weeks later...
:P Being of generous proportions I would have to say in order of tastiness woodcock[undrawn],teal[no not him!!!!!!],hare then 3/4 grown bunny.However I managed to get a grouse[young un] this year off a `keeper and it goes in the No1 slot[no funny stuff :P ]has a really lovely taste quiet unlike anything I`ve ever had.As for Hugh F-whatsisname in one of his progs and books he cooked a womans placenta[afterbirth :devil: ]and had it at a party to celebrate the new sprog.Anywayone of the guests is a veggie and decides that as nothing has died to provide this sumptuous tucker time to chow down with the rest.Dont think it would taste like chicken.......on the other hand fish??? :blink: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: