Am fancying a Defender

SNS

I wanted a 90 or 110 for years, that was before I drove one, when in a position to get myself a 4x4 I borrowed a mates 90 for a week and I'm glad I did before buying my own.... it was simply god awful to drive, no seating position was comfortable and they must have designed them for people with only a left arm!

I bought a soulless (apparently) hilux instead and never looked back.

I still want a landrover at some point but it'll be an ex army lightweight where I can remove the doors etc and drive around like mad max. :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mate has just bought a new one on September 1st it has broken down 8 times so he has just rejected it as not fit for purpose and asked for his money back

I know someone who that happened too, only thing his car was a brand new Disco 4 and he only had the car a week before total failure off all the electronics.

I love my Landrover 110, yes it's slow and noisy but it is comfy so no problem for long distance.

I picked up an approved used 90 with 8k on the clock (4yrs old) and it cost me £300 a month over 5 years, no balloon. It was a good deal.

I genuinely needed the upgrade though, so I've got a brand new 110 with all the kit for £200 a month with a balloon. It's nice to actually get one of these from new and then you don't have to worry about the servicing and fixing issues.

Has the new one got some stickers on it like the old one..?

they must have designed them for people with only a left arm!

Watch closely next time, as we all drive round with the window down, it's the perfect arm rest.

Has the new one got some stickers on it like the old one..?

Fortunately not this time. That's the old old one anyway! Had another two since then :rolleyes:

no need to watch, I quickly found that was the only way to get the right arm even close to comfortable... a ****** when its freezing and ******* down tho.

Hahaha, I can see you wouldn't get much enjoyment out of a defender then!

Mine does have heated seats though!

When i buy another Defender in will be a 110. 90 is just way too small.

I own a 90 at the moment, 1992 200TDI, it was a bargin and got me out of a pickle at the time. However it is just too small.

If i had 20k to spend on one, it'd be a fully rebuild one on a galv chassis and bulkhead, done to my spec

If i had 20k to spend on one, it'd be a fully rebuild one on a galv chassis and bulkhead, done to my spec

Thats what id do, buy a cheap 110 probably with a rotten chassis but straight panels, new TGV 2.8, auto box on a galv chassis, not bothered about the galv bulk head because they last if they are looked after.bog standard suspension and OEM bushes all round.

Exmoor trim half leather seats and some serious sound proofing and a night heater neatly installed.

Not that iv thought about it.........

I have always wanted a Defender so hearing all this talk of unreliability, noise, lack of comfort etc, is depressing, is there no place where they will sell you a sorted one including a Japanese engine or something along those lines that you can then realistically use everyday ?

I had a Disco ES (stands for 'electric stuff') 300TDi for quite a few years. It was great for ferrying the kids and all their friends about when younger. All I replaced on it was the water pump, lift pump and a seized brake calliper, but the D1 has a horrendous reputation for rotten chassis, and that was the way it went. It had 158k on it when it was part ex-ed for an old 200 TDi 90 which I use on a daily basis. The 300TDi engine is still on the go, but not in the Disco. When I got the 90 it had a V8 in it which was no good for me, plus the LPG tank in the back made the space impractical as I wanted it for work. It has had a lot of 'off road' modification work done to it and is a great vehicle. Even though I would like a 110 I think it would have to be in addition to the 90, as I would be very reluctant to sell it.

As long as the bulkheads are sound then the bodies last for ever, and there is a multi-million pound industry catering for Landrovers and their parts/add ons, and in particular Defenders.

I can't advise you to get one because they're not the most comfortable or reliable. Mates Defender is a TD5, and he was having so much bother with having to replace solenoids he seriously considered having the TD5 replaced with a 200 TDi for a while. Mine rains in, is noisy and draughty (just a matter of replacing some seals) but I'm not complaining as it is over 30 years old. They can be compared to Barbour waxed jackets; not the most practical or comfortable on a day to day basis, but look great. :) They are as iconic as the Mini and the Beetle.

I picked up an approved used 90 with 8k on the clock (4yrs old) and it cost me £300 a month over 5 years, no balloon. It was a good deal.

I genuinely needed the upgrade though, so I've got a brand new 110 with all the kit for £200 a month with a balloon. It's nice to actually get one of these from new and then you don't have to worry about the servicing and fixing issues.

What is the deal you outline above? £200 with a balloon?

I recently bought an 11plate 'x-tech' thats been slightly modified by twisted. Its my day to day car doing 500miles a week and i don't actually find it that uncomfortable or noisy! Its very different to a car but i'm really happy with it...providing it doesn't break! Happily keeps up with the flow of traffic, but its not cheap on diesel

How big are you mate ? I am 6ft 3inch and 16 1/2 stone I used to drive one at work, the drivers seat is so far to the right that my right arm was useless unless the window was down, try driving one before you buy one, or better still go and buy a second hand Hilux, I`ll never have anything

else.

Good Luck whatever you do

Tony A.

People make far too much of a fuss about how uncomfortable defenders are. I did 7000 miles in month driving from the UK to Morocco and back, and (aside from now being completely deaf!) I'm still here to tell the tale! The TD5 engine (not the early ones though) is the best bet in my view - decent power and mpg, pretty reliable and not that difficult to fix if you are a vaguely competent mechanic.

The affliction is known as "Landrover Elbow" as it is outside in all weathers.

I bought a 1996 300tdi Defender back in 2007, only does 3k a year but gets well used for those 3k not a had a peep and cost me nothing but servicing.

How many 18 year old normal cars could you say that about.