Car Breakdown Cover

Puggers

Hi all,

I pay for my lad's breakdown cover as part of a Christmas present and have just had the renewal through the AA, which was a shock, having gone up significantly from last year. I have renewed with them for a couple of years and so the price I paid last year was not discounted for introductory business and he (touchwood) hasn't had cause to call them out which made the leap in price even more surprising.

He has roadside and home assistance as he doesn't live with us anymore and so I would want similar cover but prices now range from less than £50 with Kwik Fit (when did they start offering cover?) to £125 with the AA (which is nearly £90 less than the renewal with the same company for the identical cover)! All prices are for "personal cover" which means he is covered in any car, not just his own.

Needless to say, I called them to make sure they weren't having a laugh and was assured not but were willing to offer me a discount if I didn't leave. That riled me even more as the stance was clearly one of "we'll see what we can get away with". I told them I don't bargain when I pay for my spuds at Asda and am not buying my roadside assistance from a Bangkok market so don't expect to barter and cancelled. They seemed unconcerned when I pointed out that newbie customers pay significantly less and so there seems no loyalty for renewing customers - I do appreciate that many companies offer discounts to new business but the lack of similar considerations for renewing customer hardly engenders loyalty does it?

Anyway, after that whinge, does anyone have any experience with the non-common place providers such as RAC and AA, and can recommend others such as Green Flag or even Kwik Fit?

Thanks for reading and in advance for the comments or views.

Cheers

I joined a company through my local insurance brokers,

£85 approx and it includes, roadside, homestart, relay and european cover too.

Its one of the better companies that my employer does work for so I have some experience of them.

Would not touch RAC with a barge pole.

One of the Other better ones is Brittania Rescue.

Had nothing but excellent service from Green Flag including a recovery from Norwich to Co Durham and a call out due to an electrical fault which was fixed road side . I renewed our joint membership for both cars and was then given free Green Flag cover when insuring with Churchill so I am covered twice , not that I want to haver to call them again .

Edited by Gunman

I had my car insured and breakdown cover with Direct line all all went well for several years until my car battery started playing up and I had to call them out two or three times just for a jump start however the next year my breakdown jumped from I think £40 to well over £100 so I moved to green flag and it was much cheaper it pays to shop around.

some bank accounts offer vehicle recovery. I do know that Lloyds do an account for a fee of £17 per month that includes AA roadside and home start , mobile phone insurance and world wide travel cover. So £200 for the year .....if your lad has an expensive mobile and goes on holiday loads it might be worth it?

And no, I don't have this account, although I used to.

some bank accounts offer vehicle recovery. I do know that Lloyds do an account for a fee of £17 per month that includes AA roadside and home start , mobile phone insurance and world wide travel cover. So £200 for the year .....if your lad has an expensive mobile and goes on holiday loads it might be worth it?

And no, I don't have this account, although I used to.

Bank Of Scotland have the same scheme, but its about £9 a month. I claimed on my holiday insurance with it, and had no probs. :good:

I had exactly the same thing with the AA a jump of over £125 to £225 when I rang to ask why they immediately offered a £90 reduction.

I to said thanks but no thanks.

It seems the renewing anything is pointless (SGC and FAC aside) but insurance,breakdown cover etc will be a as a new customer for me from now on.

Jim

I always buy breakdown cover through my insurance policy.

Ask your lad to call them and get a price.

I'm pretty sure I got an all singing and dancing policy on my daughters car for around £50

Edited by Cosd

With any Breakdown cover that comes as part of a bank account or insurance policy,

Check the small print as with some of them the cover can be very minimal indeed.

I've known some to be as minimal as 'recover to place of safety'.

Which could literaly mean recovery off the carriageway to a lay by.

If you have roadside cover but NO ' Recovery' cover, don't just accept a price from your breakdown club without googling local breakdown/recovery services and phoning for a quote.

I've done lots of jobs where members of different clubs have no specific recovery cover and get charged a big sum of money to be recovered home/onwards, where we would been 25 - 33% cheaper if contacted directly.

Thanks to all who have replied - very useful and I hadn't considered seeing whether his bank offers extended cover so will give that a go and as is suggested, check the small print too.

He's insured with LV= and they seem to have a link with Brittania Rescue but haven't tried to plug it with him.

Thanks again.

I have it through my bank, Was with NatWest at £12 a month, there breakdown cover would only take you 10 miles thou, I once had a double blow out on my tyres 9.6 miles from home! it was then I found out about the 10 mile rule and quickly changed to nationwide at £10 a month who recover nationwide! They bought the car back from Sheffield to Derby when the clutch went! Have also had my phone fixed under the insurance that comes with it, I would recommend them!

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

I've used these for years. £41 odd a year including home cover (to a certain value). They've been very good. The only thing is, sometimes you have to pay for the recovery on the spot and claim it back from Autoaid. Sometimes the company seems to bill autoaid directly, but it's always worked for me.

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

I've used these for years. £41 odd a year including home cover (to a certain value). They've been very good. The only thing is, sometimes you have to pay for the recovery on the spot and claim it back from Autoaid. Sometimes the company seems to bill autoaid directly, but it's always worked for me.

+1 :good: