Collapsed cocker

delburt0

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a couple of cockers which have suffered this condition.

The Vet I used was a wizened old ****** with 50 + years experience of working dogs

He recommended that the dog was always stripped in summer and not allowed to get too hot. Not to have the dogs indoors otherwise their metabolism would adjust to the warmth and prevent the seasonal growth of the thick under hair that kept them warm in Winter. This is triggered by seasonal light adjustment evolved over thousands of years apparently............ and most importantly not to overwork the dog.. He was down right rude and categorically said if the dog collapses its because I have let him work too hard.

One of the dogs was particularly prone to it and he persuaded me to retire him which I did.

I remember asking if I should give him sugar supplements or soft sweets and he said " If you want to **** his teeth up yes ! "

He was a miserable old sod but he was always right...used to hack his wife off big time.

My skinny little Sprocker now has a neoprene jacket called '3 Peaks' from Pets R Us. It is perfect. I recommend taking the dog into the shop to have the jacket fitted as their sizes are pretty wacky.

Keep an eye on Neoprene JDOG I had one of those which was on the face of it very good but it was impervious and made the dog sweat and caused skin reaction that cost a fortune in steroids to clear..I went back to a natural tweed one which is breathable and it cleared up.

Keep an eye on Neoprene JDOG I had one of those which was on the face of it very good but it was impervious and made the dog sweat and caused skin reaction that cost a fortune in steroids to clear..I went back to a natural tweed one which is breathable and it cleared up.

Thanks for the tip. I had wondered about the sweating aspect.

99.9% sure everyone is correct about sugar levels being the cause but has anything else changed in his routine recently.has he been on any anti biotics or meds? just a thought,my glp collapse on me late afternoon a few years ago after anti biotics in the morning.she had a funny reaction to them,cant use certain meds anymore

I've seen this a few times each time going to the vets produced no results as to why. A mate spent 600 on tests on his springer which was doing it fairly regularly. That produced no reason but he had switched food to a "better' brand going back to believe it or not wag stopped it. Whether it was sugar content I have no idea but she lived to 15 with no more problems.

The other ones well people retired them and most have stopped having cockers as they were dogs for beating. Fitness wasn't an issue as they were dogging in for months before the season.

99.9% sure everyone is correct about sugar levels being the cause but has anything else changed in his routine recently.has he been on any anti biotics or meds? just a thought,my glp collapse on me late afternoon a few years ago after anti biotics in the morning.she had a funny reaction to them,cant use certain meds anymore

Just for the record no meds etc had his booster 2 weeks previous just put it down to early breakfast and late lunch and good working.

Just for the record no meds etc had his booster 2 weeks previous just put it down to early breakfast and late lunch and good working.

Dog is fed purina beta which agrees with him and always been 100% healthy apart from this time. Edited by delburt0

Had same situation with one of my cockers, first day out on her own with me. She was bounding along then next minute she's in a patch of brambles not coming out, moving or responding. On retrieving her she fitted, this was while I was carrying her back to the car. Got her to the vets and two days later got her back. Turned out her liver and kidneys are smaller than usual and she couldn't store enough glucose. That was four years ago. Ever since she has been fine. Pemmikin in her breakfast a few hours before we go and small pieces all day long, good as gold. Scarred the hell out of me.

Had same situation with one of my cockers, first day out on her own with me. She was bounding along then next minute she's in a patch of brambles not coming out, moving or responding. On retrieving her she fitted, this was while I was carrying her back to the car. Got her to the vets and two days later got her back. Turned out her liver and kidneys are smaller than usual and she couldn't store enough glucose. That was four years ago. Ever since she has been fine. Pemmikin in her breakfast a few hours before we go and small pieces all day long, good as gold. Scarred the hell out of me.

was the vet just saying this to justify the cost of having your dog 2 days or was there any proof X-rays etc.

She was on a drip, to be honest first off I thought I'd lost her. He then gave her regular visits through the night which I was allowed to attend. He tested her for numerous bits and piecs then recommended a scan. After the scan it was confirmed. Small liver and kidneys. Being a shooting man himself with gun dogs of his own, I was slightly surprised he'd not heard of pemmikin but on inspection ( I took some into him a week or so after ) he said its perfect for gun dogs. I must say my other completely healthy cocker seems alot more responsive, bright and energetic for the whole shoot day now she's having the supplements aswell.