Dog theft

spanielchris

The amount of gundogs going missing/stolen in my area is really getting a bit worrying! It's all I see on social media site at the moment!

The thing I don't understand is well hell are they all going? Am I being stupid but surely selling/buying a gundog you would check where it's come from/ why you sell it etc????

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dog-register.co.uk/index.html

£25

We had our GSD's done years ago before microchips were common. Been thinking seriusly about it since gundog theft is on the increase. The tattoo was stamped in the inside ear using a set of pin letters and numbers on some sort of pliers things with a dye with local aneasthetic in it when we had our GSD's done years ago. There are tattoist registered with the scheme on the website and your dog is registered with them just like microchips.

The simple answer to who doing it round here is ******. Herts police are pro active beds haven't been so they have been stealing dogs in one county and going home and being left alone. Fortunately there have been some arrests recently but only due to people getting involved themselves but it was getting silly.

The ones recovered presumably had a market quite possibly in Ireland but it's definitely why you want to look well into a dogs history when buying. Here they had a right mix of terriers and working dogs, thefts were pretty quick and from kennels.

I would hate to have my dogs pinched my kids would be heart broken as well. The sad thing is it is on the rise you just have to be really vigilant someone told me once that they mark your gate or wall with something for a indicator then comeback to steel your dogs. I am really wary with my dogs I had a guy pull up to the field where I was training one of my dogs and he was just watching me so I went over and asked if I could help him and he started talking to me about how good my dog was and what can he do and how old he was and then he started asking me about what I did for a living and whether I was local so I told him that I lived in such and such village which is no where near where I actually lived. He might of been a genuine chap just interested in Gundogs but you can't take the risk.

You can never be to careful.

The ones here they have kicked the back of kennels in and one in 11 minutes they had a bitch and 7 pups and his other dog. Another his terriers both were keepers, security was pretty good and they weren't left long. Recovered from "sites" near Leighton buzzard and Newport Pagnell. I had heard it was quietening down as the raids had also recovered a lot of stolen gear and brought unwelcome police attention to the travellers. But it seems on the run up to Christmas they will just steal anything.

If buying a dog from someone you don't know:

Ask for some paperwork, with an older dog, it should at least have a vaccination certificate even if not KC registered.

Never arrange to meet at a service station or pub for a hand over. If a dog is worth having its worth travelling to its current home.

With puppy buying, DO NOT allow then to deliver . Go and have a look at them at a house/kennels and see at least the mum. You then at least see the way they have been kept. This is no guarentee that the bitch has not been stolen as well, but at least you have an address.

If a breeder has lots of different breeds for sale it could mean a puppy farm, do some more homework on the place before buying.

Arrange for a vet check ASAP if possible to see if your purchase is healthy and if older if it is chipped. Check inside the ears for a tattoo (National Dog Tattoo Register)

Trust your instincts. If it dosen't feel right walk away.

Stolen dogs all off to Ireland is another facebook myth. If all the dogs stolen went over there the island would sink under the weight. They are not stolen to train fighting dogs either. They are stolen because the ******g vermin that steal them know that someone will buy a dog out of free ads/preloved etc because it is cheap. They come with a sob story, father died etc etc, but all the buyer thinks is "this springer is only costing me £100 and I will make money on a litter". That's why dogs are stolen.

Why don't the police just search every vehicle going over to Ireland then?, the dog theft racket would crumble over night. Or have the dog stealing vermin got their sophisticated heads together and bought a submarine to take the hundreds of dogs over to the emerald isle?. These guys don't even tax their vans !!!!!. They then take them to the country that is probably the cheapest country in Europe to buy a working dog?????. It don't cut much ice does it?

Edited by cocker boy

This topic makes me really sad :sad1::sad1::sad1:

I not going beating tomorrow because i won't leave my dog in the pub car park while i have my dinner. :no::no::no: of fear that some scum will take her from a shoot.

ATB

Neil

This topic makes me really sad :sad1::sad1::sad1:

I not going beating tomorrow because i won't leave my dog in the pub car park while i have my dinner. :no::no::no: of fear that some scum will take her from a shoot.

ATB

Neil

Can't you take a packed lunch and eat it in the car with the dog?. Seems a bit dramatic not to go incase the dog gets nicked.

The cheapest way to breed dogs is to not have to rear them from a puppies. If you can get a stud dog or breeding age bitch and breed with it straight away with a dog or as soon as it is in season with a bitch you have saved a wad not having to keep it from 8 weeks to breeding age or pay high fees to another breeder for a prime animal with correct paperwork.

Bitches are can be bred twice a year and if you don't pay for staff to exercise them or keep them clean, more money is saved. Building maintenance, quality dog food and Vet care are all economised on. Pups are sold with no check on suitability of future homes or care if the pups survive after sale. Paperwork and Pedigrees can always be forged.

Once the Adult dogs are no longer fit for breeding which happens fast under those conditions they are surplus to requirements and got rid of, hence more dogs of breeding age are needed.

There are plenty of reputable breeders in Ireland, but sadly plenty are not good also some over here too. :sad1:

Lots of puppies get brought over here on the ferry in backs of estate cars in boxes and sold over here to unsuspecting new owners. Never have a puppy delivered to you.

I doubt this is what happens to most trained gundogs as there value is more in that they are trained.

Can't you take a packed lunch and eat it in the car with the dog?. Seems a bit dramatic not to go incase the dog gets nicked.

Yes i know but everyone else will be in the pub,it's not dramatic mate i have a soft top Jimny so it would be easy,i know what your saying about the pack lunch thou :yes:

She is working on the Crown Shot this Saturday so i not that bothered going to take me Grandad clay Shooting it's his birthday.

ATB

Neil