Variable speed limits

rcooke25552

That would explain why it flashed then.

Yes, and there are also these type of cameras fitted along the M1 and M25, on the side of the gantries;

http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Revealed-secret-M25-cameras-authorities-want/story-21101262-detail/story.html

They flash too, when the variable speed limit signs are not operating, don't know if tickets are yet issued as a result..?

Cat.

On the M42 not matter what the signs say they will only go off if you are doing over the national speed limit as speed camera's to not adjust according to the speed limit on the signs. I think its like 70 + 10% and add 3 MPH, but i regulary go through them and have never ever been flashed. the only time people are flashed it seems is randomly.

I know they don't adjust to the speed as my mrs is a highways engineer!

On the M42 not matter what the signs say they will only go off if you are doing over the national speed limit as speed camera's to not adjust according to the speed limit on the signs. I think its like 70 + 10% and add 3 MPH, but i regulary go through them and have never ever been flashed. the only time people are flashed it seems is randomly.

I know they don't adjust to the speed as my mrs is a highways engineer!

So if the sign is showing 40 and you go through at 75, you won't get flashed...I think not..?

Cat

By definition, if you are looking for speed limit signs to the side or above the road,you arent waching the road or cars in front of you. Speed limits are up and down like a whore's knickers on A & B roads and now on motorways too.

I now drive spending a good deal of time trying to figure out what the speed limit is, checking I am under it and looking for cameras. I am alert but perhaps not focused on real hazzards.

The 10% variance is at the discretion of teh relevant constabulary and is not on the statute books.

I use the M25/M40/M1 & M42 most weeks and when the gantries are off, i will go through at anything between 70-90 dependent on traffic, weather and time of day. I am on 3 points having been caught in Norfolk by a hand held. My fault, i deserved it.

I have seen the M1 gantry cameras flash in the early hours of the morning on the opposite carriageway with vehicles around ........

Tim, does your mrs know if all the average cameras in the M6 roadworks are real. I do not risk it but some think they are special and still try and blast through.....

By definition, if you are looking for speed limit signs to the side or above the road,you arent waching the road or cars in front of you. Speed limits are up and down like a whore's knickers on A & B roads and now on motorways too.

That's what I said to the judge when I missed the give way sign!

Still convicted me, totally unfair!

Guest iFerret2

I don't think cruise control is particularly safe for most of the time on Britain's overcrowded motorways. Drivers need to be alert and responsive and in my view "driver aids" like cruise control encourage a "mind in neutral" attitude. The less a driver physically has to do, the more detached and remote from the process of driving he becomes. The answer to safer roads is not ever stricter speed limits and more in car technology, its better driver training and alert, considerate drivers.

Don't mean to be rude but you are wrong. BMW have a new highspeed overtake system that takes over and controls lanes etc wont work on slow speds in towns and they must now better than you as you are not a car factory and BMW are the best cars there is.

Guest iFerret2

Better than lotus, or Ferrari, or Mercedes Benz? Really. Last I head it was the driver not the car that made the decisions.

Not seen it but read it in the paper.

Will be in cars in a few years

Don't mean to be rude but you are wrong. BMW have a new highspeed overtake system that takes over and controls lanes etc wont work on slow speds in towns and they must now better than you as you are not a car factory and BMW are the best cars there is.

Which bit is wrong? The bit where I said drivers need to be alert and responsive? Better driver training?

I'm not familiar with the system you describe, but not everyone drives BMW (or agrees that they are "the best") so my comments were aimed at the conventional cruise control currently fitted to most cars. Yes I get that eventually technology will make the driver redundant, but we are not there yet.

What is dangerous, before the technology fully matures, is people with a few gadgets in their beemers (or whatever) thinking they can completely switch off because they have adaptive cruise control or whatever.

Might I suggest that if you think your car always knows better than you do, because it was made by BMW, "the best there is", you are an accident waiting to happen.

Guest iFerret2

BMW might not be everybodies best car but all over the world people luv em. Even the crims luv em. They are clever people so not like us normal ones I think you can trust em

I see u use a gat gun now that is not clever unless u shoot paper targets at 2 yards

BMW might not be everybodies best car but all over the world people luv em. Even the crims luv em. They are clever people so not like us normal ones I think you can trust em

I see u use a gat gun now that is not clever unless u shoot paper targets at 2 yards

Ah I get it now :yes: Your life experience all comes from playing Grand Theft Auto.

Guest iFerret2

Ah I get it now :yes: Your life experience all comes from playing Grand Theft Auto.

(But not after nine oclock as its night-nights)

I luv GTA it is brill, you oldies should try it..... If yo mix up the letters u get GAT lol lol lol

Awww. BMW? Really?

what a load of old tosh. Ranked 3rd in safety, 5th in tech and 3rd overall in the premium car sector with merc in second and Audi in 1st.

Showing your age there young man!

99 percent of the time, what you read in the paper is merely someones biased opinion. Look at official sales figures and then make your decisions. ;)

Awww. BMW? Really?

what a load of old tosh. Ranked 3rd in safety, 5th in tech and 3rd overall in the premium car sector with merc in second and Audi in 1st.

Showing your age there young man!

99 percent of the time, what you read in the paper is merely someones biased opinion. Look at official sales figures and then make your decisions. ;)

Where ? As you say it all depends whose opinion you think gospel. The Renault Laguna was the first car to achieve 5 star Ncap rating in 2001, that means for £800 you can be sat in ultimate safety. Almost all Renault since have had 5 star safety, even the tiny Clio, doubt very much the average BMW is less safe.

There can be no best this or highest tech that, just so many variables, way too many car types and infinite price bands.

Edited by Hamster