£2k to spend. what on.

digger

After my car was written off I've been left with 2k to spend on my next car. basic requirements are 4 doors and a decent boot. In my limited range are high mileage mercs audis and bmws. not keen on rovers or anything dull. suggestions please ? autotrader throws up loads of choices so a tad lost. don't do mega miles so fuel type isn't important. would like something entertaining to drive.

VW golf got 4 doors boot is good but not massive 2k will get you a nice mk5 diesel top spec that will return 50+ mpg. fun to drive and if the worst should happen they are strong!

My boy had a nasty accident in one, don't think he would still be here if he was in something else! the BMW that hit him was mashed but he got him self out of the golf 3 of the doors still opened. I got him another one when he was back driving, the wife will be having one next time and if i was after a car that is what i would get

Edited by bluesj

For £2200 I bought a 1 owner merc 500 S class on a '97 R plate and with 62k on the clock and with full MBZ Bristol main dealer history

I didn't want it or need it - it was just amazing value and what a car - double glazing and soft close doors and every extra known to man kind

I've lent it to the bloke whose boarded and insulated my loft and it's my new loaner.

£250 fully comp insurance on a classic car policy limited to 5k miles

Awesome

Edited by Mungler

For the money I find the top spec mondeos a great motor. The titanium or ghia x has all the gadgets you would want. My old one had over 100000 on the clock and still drove like new with no issues for over a year. Messed around with other cars for a short time and ended up with a newer one with lower mileage and couldn't be happier with it. If not bothered about fuel the 2.5 v6 will get you a lot of car for the money. Although considered boring I find they handle well and can put a smile on your face.

The problem with a £2k motor (if buying from the trade), is that you're buying a car that's worth £1200, with £800 profit (which hopefully you can chip the vendor on a bit). Private sellers see cars up for sale at those prices, and price up pretty close to it.

In addition, if you consider that if you are buying a 'premium' brand, you're paying £500 for the badge on the front of it, then in reality you're buying a car that's either on its last legs, or one that is so expensive to run that the vendor is desperate to get shot of it.

For that sort of money, I wouldn't touch any out of MB, Audi, BMW - and I've got a BMW.

Alfa ... they don't get a reputation for breaking down for nothing. Again, £500 for the 'sporty petrolhead' badge, a bit of profit for the seller, and you're buying a car that quite possibly needs a lot of money spending on it.

Mondeo ... commonplace, no real image. But that means you don't pay a premium. If you buy the less popular petrol engined ones, then you can get a bit of a bargain.

Problem is with the above if the air suspension goes if you can't source the bits it could cost you more to return it to the road also you ain't getting a nice all road for 2k I take it if you spend 2k you do not want to spend 2k on mending it just look for cars with good parts supplies if needed forget Audi alfa BMW there excellent whilst running but money's pits when not.

Edited by delburt0

For the money I find the top spec mondeos a great motor. The titanium or ghia x has all the gadgets you would want. My old one had over 100000 on the clock and still drove like new with no issues for over a year. Messed around with other cars for a short time and ended up with a newer one with lower mileage and couldn't be happier with it. If not bothered about fuel the 2.5 v6 will get you a lot of car for the money. Although considered boring I find they handle well and can put a smile on your face.

i swear by them I've had 2 taxis both where 6 months old when I bought them they both left me with over 200k @ 3 yrs old never had a clutch or a injector in either of them I run a mint 05 ghia x now not the cheapest @ £1100 but it's mint 100k when I bought it ffsh cheap tax insurance compared with a 4x4 anyway I'm saving £200 a month running this to the shogun sport in theory it's paid for itself within the year... Edited by delburt0

I had an alfa 147 and trying to get her in and out of the car seat was a mare. thanks for the comments guys. tdci mondeo in ghia trim looks good

IMO for the money you cant really get a better family car also with the right spec and wheels they look a really tidy car and not too dated. Go for the 130bhp 2.0tdci its a really nice lump and more than suited to the mondeo. My new one is the 2.2tdci with 155bhp but to be honest its not worth the extra expense.

When buying just keep an eye out for any issues with the clutch or flywheel as it can be an expensive job, there is loads of info on the web about them but dont let it put you off.