Tikka T3 lite stocks?? and varmints for stalking??

Big Dog

Hi guys. Iv'e been out of touch for a wee while, DSC1 and shooting at the range and knee eep in mud trying to fox at nights etc. Yesterday I sent of to the PSNI to get a 6.5X55 added to my FAC which they have; waiting on a S410 being added. So I now know the calibre but now need to pick a gun. Budget isn't great as 2 guns going on, Sako etc is out.

I had my mind set on a Tikka T3 Synthetic SS Lite. Either sporter or varmint. I have 2 questions:

1. Recently every Lite I have look at with synthetic stock, my 1st choice, although addvertised as free flooting barrel the stocks come against the barrel for about half way down the barrel.

Q: Have any of you found this and is it affecting grouping :good: Iv'e seen in in a varmint barrel too.

2. As I will use in on the range more that stalking I am in 2 mind of a varmint barrel. I know it is heaver but if I don't can it or bipod it I was thinking that this would balance it out with a sporter with all the trimmings.

Q: Any one out there stalking with a varmint barrel and especially and Tikka T3 model :lol:

If you get a tikka you will need to float the barrel as I did they do have a horrible piece of plastic that touches the barrel about 90mm from the action. Completely remove this and free float the rest of the barrel as I did.

1. I floated my T3's barrel because I wasn't happy with the way it came. Still not happy with my groups so have left it up for a while until I'm in the mood to try to remedy it. Handled a T3 Lite in the shop before ordering my Varmint and noticed it wasn't floated fully either. Could be shooter/cleaning/ammo fussy/rifle. Either way I'm not happy at the moment.

2. I lamp on foot, not going to lie to you BD they're heavy without a can, and they don't get lighter the further you walk either :good: Got a lovely stretchy Butler Creek sling for it off ebay though, really is fabulous!!

Having grown up with heavy airguns, and heavy .22lr target guns, I bought a Varmint T3. (222rem)

This is a 3 shot group at 100yds, completley un modified.

019e5732.jpg

To be honest, its made by a good company, they know what they are doing. But that didnt stop me from floating it on a rainy day, so will see how it shoots soon (hopefully).

I know people will bash me for this.. but I have to say, a heavy barrel will be less affected by barrel 'harmonics' then a small 'Lite' barrel. The heavy barrel soaks up recoil and vibration, as well as being tougher to falls and nocks. It really helps with allowing heat to leave the barrel, as there is a larger surface area. Sure this gun weighs a tonne with bipod, Swaro steel scope, Reflex, sling, mounts etc... but I get along with it fine, and no problems walking for miles with it.

DSCN1089.jpg

1. I floated my T3's barrel because I wasn't happy with the way it came. Still not happy with my groups so have left it up for a while until I'm in the mood to try to remedy it. Handled a T3 Lite in the shop before ordering my Varmint and noticed it wasn't floated fully either. Could be shooter/cleaning/ammo fussy/rifle. Either way I'm not happy at the moment.

2. I lamp on foot, not going to lie to you BD they're heavy without a can, and they don't get lighter the further you walk either :lol: Got a lovely stretchy Butler Creek sling for it off ebay though, really is fabulous!!

Should of got a CZ :lol::lol:;)

Frank.

Thanks for the comments. Not sure now what to think ;)

One thing is for sure if I get a varmint barrel I won't stalk with it wearing a Moderator or bipod. I don't like bipods for hunting. I always carry a small back pack and I find this much better to rest the riffle on plus I can hide a bit behind it; well I think I am hide a bit <_<

What about Remiington 700 varmints etc.

Frank do CZ have a varmint or a mid-weight barrel???

Keep the comments coming

BD

Frank do CZ have a varmint or a mid-weight barrel???

Keep the comments coming

BD

Hi BD. ???

If your going stalking over, what would usually be rough, mountainess ground, round these parts anyhow, you would be better off with a sporting barrel, as the weight of a varmint rig would test your fitness to the full :(

Ecpecially, when you have a deer to drag back. <_<

CZ, as far as i know, do a mid weight barel, but its only comes in .223 and .222, so no good to you, but link for them below:

http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=...185&lang=en

If going CZ BD, then your as well to get whats below for your stalking needs, its a lot of rifle for the money and in 6.5 x 55, you will be happy as a sand boy. :P???

http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=...=39&lang=en

Good luck and let us know what you decide. ;)

Frank.

Frank - Some questions for clarity on the CZ

1. Trigger: am I right is saying that you can adjust the "single stage" section of the trigger - e.g. from say 4 or 5 lbs down to 2 lbs??? I am not talking about the single set trigger.

2. The stock butt: the pleasent curve down into the arm pit on the stock butt. Does this make it hard to get in line with the scope. I can see no problem with open sights but wondering if to need to pad the butt to get your eye in line with scope retical???

3. Do they come with QD fittings???

4. Are the free floating barrels

5. The full length Bavarian stock, which seem the lightest, have you every use one or know anyone with one??? I and wondering if they would be less accurate as they would not be free floated???

6. On a different note, what is the deer seasons in ROI. I have just completed my DSC1 but not info on ROI.

As my cash is very tight I may be temped to go for a steel sighted gun so I can use it for a year while saving up for a good scope.

Thanks

BD

Hi Big Dog. ;)

Ansewers to your quetions below.

1. Trigger: am I right is saying that you can adjust the "single stage" section of the trigger - e.g. from say 4 or 5 lbs down to 2 lbs??? I am not talking about the single set trigger.

Answer= Yes, that can be done. :unsure:

2. The stock butt: the pleasent curve down into the arm pit on the stock butt. Does this make it hard to get in line with the scope. I can see no problem with open sights but wondering if to need to pad the butt to get your eye in line with scope retical???

Answer= You may need to bring it up a wee bit, i have no probs, but it all depends on the way you hold said rifle. :good: Not sure if their is a American version in the 6.5, their might be, which would, in actual fact, make it better for aiming prehaps.?

3. Do they come with QD fittings???

Answer= No, fortunately not. :)

4. Are the free floating barrels

Answer= No, but it does not see to effect eccuracy, not on mine anyhow.

5. The full length Bavarian stock, which seem the lightest, have you every use one or know anyone with one??? I and wondering if they would be less accurate as they would not be free floated???

Answer= Never had one, seen one in a gun shop, but that was it, sorry, have no experince on this one.

6. On a different note, what is the deer seasons in ROI. I have just completed my DSC1 but not info on ROI.

Answe= The deer season in general in ther R.O.I, is from the 1 st of September to the 31st December for bucks and stags ( may vary from county to county).

The 1st of November to the end of Febuary for does and hinds.

Red deer stags are protected in Co. Kerry all threw the year and have no season, but the hinds got a open season last year and this year.

Hope that helps a wee Big Dog. :no:

Frank.

Well Guys the deal is done. I have settled on a Steyr Pro-hunter Stainless and synthetic 6.5x55. My .222 is pro-hunter and although I dont really like the stocks, better to live with the devil you know, sort of speak.

I got a deal I just could not refuse. The gun is factory threaded, so that takes care of that bit. I showed him my Beretta 682 and all I have to give him £100 cut and all, and remember this is N. Ireland. He also gave me a free single barrel gun to keep the 12G space open in my FAC. OK its no Purdy but it keeps my book open for latter if I want something else.

Even better news - The FAC licence department made a real cock up on the admin side. Its a long story so just to say they have sent me back serveral bit of my application at different time saying it was incomplete when all along they had it all in their office. I talked to the chief person today who was most appologetic and said she would give it her personal attention, bring it straight to the top of the pile and get it to me asap, 2 week tops. :D

As there is some unusual stuff I want conditioned, I think it will take a bit longer but say 4 week I'll be well happy. Now just need to get a scope; that a new story for latter. :blink: