Continuing To Decoy/Shoot As You Age

sitsinhedges

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how the hell do you know me without ever meeting me? odd

Grandalf has his methods. Ever noticed an old owl following you about...

Lets be serious for a minute. Most guys, and galls, are overweight compared with fifty years ago.

Obesity is a growing problem - pun intended. I spent Saturday out with a young (50) friend of mine. We were on an island on a private broad trying to decoy greylags. Now this sounds idyllic - and it was we are very luck to get the invite from the keeper. It involves getting a boat down 150 yards of rough track. (A Canadian hunting canoe). Decoys, boat engine, hide, gear, two dogs, etc have to be transported and loaded once the boat has been launched. 20 minute ride to 'island' - six foot diameter of swan muck - and hide erected and decoys launched. Boat hidden away and six hours of waiting. Then, after dark, all this has to be done in reverse - plus the geese.

I'm the wrong side of 75 so guess who did the major part of the work. My young friend is as strong as a horse - but seriously overweight. He can do all this lifting, lugging and toting now - but in ten years time - I doubt it. He has got to get to grips with his weight. The strain on his legs and heart when lifting a boat on and off his roof rack must be enormous.

If you are seriously overweight then its goodbye to most active old age sports.

I love fowling and it's that love that gives me the incentive to keep fit and keep the weight under control.

I have found a new lightweight seat that can be used as a walking aid, then you can have a rest when you need it or when you get to a good place to shoot to sit on. It arrived today very light and easy to walk with.

It is small enough to hang by a strap on my back if I still wanted to use my trusty shepherds crook walking stick and use this for a rest when I get there.

You would have to check the folded height to see if it would suit as a walking aid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191125690521?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I shot in the Lammermuirs the week before last and one of the guests I knew well. He is 75 and a farmer and he told me that he keeps fit for shooting. After the best drive, one where we saw some very good birds and all of the guns shot at least one, he was first up the long steep hill to the vehicles. I told him that I admired his fitness which perked him up even more.

Envious of him. We used to do a lot of hiking and I always planned to do a lot more when we retired. Unfortunatley the feet didn't hold up for this. When I have a good day I start off doing some walking, but the more I walk especially if it is on a hard surface the more it sets off the inflammation in my feet. Very annoying. :/

My tall shepherds crook walking stick does help as it stops me stooping over and and making my hips and back ache as well, but the dreaded feet are the self limiter.

I'm 67 and still shoot most Saturday's on our driven pheasant syndicate during the season, I have been a member for over 25 years. I also enjoy rifle shooting with my .22lr & 17hmr, but I don't do much lamping these days, since falling in the dark and breaking my leg two years ago.

I have shot all my life and will continue for as long as I am able because I live for shooting!

60 now, used to shoot a fair bit in my "teen" years (back when yer licence was 10 bob down the post office and an 8 shot lee enfield bored out to .410 was NOT S1)

restarted shooting a couple of years back.

Got a lovely compliment from a lad who sometimes comes shooting with me, who, on seeing me "one hand it" over a 5 bar gate commented "i hope I can do that when i'm 60"

I told him ...use it or loose it...simple.

A few years back I finally beat a nasty form of allergic arthritis into the ground via a mixture of a helpful treatment 20 odd years back.....(it took that long for it to clear ...after said treatment) and sheer bloodymindedness....

I have the odd day when it flares up but in general,,,,so far so good as they say.

can still tramp round our little shoot and enjoy my permissions.....

never ....ever.......stop........

as for those aches and pains......

qoute of sorts from a film I saw somewhere once upon a time...

army medic to injured soldier....."does it hurt son"

soldier....yessir

medic....good ...pain is your friend...if you can feel pain you are still alive