For a while I had a Defender 110 in work;

It was cold,

The heater was awful,

It was cramped up front unless you're a midget,

It was thirsty,

It was unreliable,

It was slow on the road,

It was loud inside.

And I absolutely adored it. Everytime I drove it I ended up with a massive smile on my face. Would I buy one? Head says no way, buy a HIlux. Heart says YES YES YES.

Defender summed up perfectly! There's a feeling you get from a proper landy that nothing else can compare to

There are two things in my life that I would not part with - My Land Rover (90 ex military 1986), which I have owned for eight years, and The Memsahib.

Oh three if I include Merlyn my yellow lab.

Great fun and she's number five in my life. (The truck - The Memsahib is number two).

I have had so many Land Rovers in my time, then one day while up to my elbows in oil doing yet another repair i decided i had enough, i brought a Hi lux, i have not had to get the tool box out yet or though i realise i am tempting fate here, to be honest i have had times when i miss the Land Rover thing, but i would not want one as my only transport.

Chris

As a diesel mechanic i would have a hilux every day, land rovers are overpriced rubbish, How they have got away with such shoddy build quaility for so long just really annoys me especially as they cost so much. I also dont think they are easy to work on i can replace a clutch in a hilux a;lot easier than i can replace one in a land rover and thats not taking into account the half the flaming bolts snapping. i had an 2007 tdci in the workshop a few days ago that had 75000mls and before anybody says its the driver this guy does not abuse his landrover it needed for an mot 2 rear calipers as the both had seized solid plus one of the bearings had collapsed in the rear axle as it looked like it had been put together wrong in the factory and the tab not locked off, a rear gearbox oil seal, and egr valve (there common). Most farmers around me have hilux or l200. and they love them. im sorry to say but Japanese is better in every way. it may not be quite as good off road but as the farmers say you shouldn't be in the field if the conditions are that bad anyway.

Land Rover parts are only cheap if you use non genuine, most of these are false economy as they will fail in a very short time. Changing oil seals is a pretty regular job on them and if you have put a cheep one in its not unusual to leak on the first run out with it, and if you do come across a Landy with no oil leaks its all ready empty.

if you do come across a Landy with no oil leaks its all ready empty.

Absolutely not the case. I'm on my fifth landy and never had anything like this.

The oldest was a Mk 2 (just) and she used oil (still on the original engine today - petrol) but didn't leak at all.

Current one is a 1986 ex military 90 and she's as tight as a drum.

One does hear so much absolute rubbish talked about these trucks.

They are a tool that does a job. Other tools do the same job - probably just as well but I wouldn't know about that.

Choice is an individual matter but lets stick to the facts when making that choice.

Edited by Grandalf

So all the problems with LD's, even past owners on this thread saying they moved on because of said problems are all false statements just because you havent had any trouble?

Hes not the only one, people who have actualy owned a defender dont reply to threads like this only the lr haters who dont have a clue. Yes defenders have problems but so do all other 4x4 s. My last defender was a 95 300tdi, it never had a head problem like most L200 on here seem to of had and the biggest job it needed in the 4 years that I owned it cost £8.50 in parts, yes I did my own repairs to keep costs down as do most other lr owners because they are that easy to work on unlike newer jap motors.

I like my tractor not worried about knocking any plastic bits off when out in the fields cos I new what I was getting when I bought it Just test drive defender and toyota and then go for what you like only you know what you want from your motor.asking opinions on 4x4 will get you just that other peoples opinions.fuel consumption is about 30 mpg as with all my l/rovers that I have had.the two japs that I owned hilux and dihatsu got about 23 mpg and yes the cost of jap spares did make my eyes water even though I was in the trade at the time.

post-23385-0-71535600-1416833804_thumb.jpg

Edited by scutt

Had my 300tdi since 2007, never had an oil leak. They are noisy and uncomfortable, the heater isn't brilliant but it gets there.

Many problems with Defenders or 90s are from the fact that people do not maintain them properly. They treat them like c**p and expect them to run forever. If they were so bad, how come the Army has used them for years until a few years ago.

U have never said wot u want it for? Type of work/driving u do? How much space in the back?

Even owning a 4x4, i wrote mine off last year and only very occasionally miss it (and i really could use 1 for work, but just make do), dear to run and dear to fix no mater wot brand. Got a wee scrapper van the now with winter tyres and it runs for peanuts and i put it some fairly queer bits, as long as got a down hill exit ur laughing

Ignoring the whole LR love/hate thing (personally i just don't get it) depending on wot u actually need it should make ur mind up for u. In my mind the hi lux and 90 are 2 very different vehicles and offer 2 very different things. If i had that money to spend there really would not be any hesitation on where my cash would go.

Many folk reckon a LR will go bits other won't, i've never been convinced usually far more to do with tyres or driver than the badge on the bonnet, seen all kinds bogged over the years, and even if they do u are talking about such extreme places u are going to get stuck eventually and when u do u will be stuck BIG. If ur going to talk about extreme off roading ur suzuki SJ or Jimny will also go places most other heavier ones won't won't. Even seen a lada riva travel places most wouldnae dare but the driver was a maniac!

Everyone wants something different out of there motors, and while other 4x4's may suit wot others use theres for u may be wanting something totally different.

Most of the reasons folk want/love LR's are no longer valid, no longer the best/only off roader, no longer uk built/owned, no longer simple engines with little electrics/copmplications, no longer highest towing capacity.

Basically they were the best 30 od years ago but have never moved with the times (dash has never changed in 30 yrs) and now are a pale shadow of there former self, and all these jap imposters have overtook and are now far superior in almost every aspect.

Possibly the only positive they have is off road but so few people actually push there LR's or any other 4x4 off road its no longer really important, and now these foreign 4x4's are abused on most farms, fencers, forestry etc than LR's and they are folk who need the off road ability

Had my 300tdi since 2007, never had an oil leak. They are noisy and uncomfortable, the heater isn't brilliant but it gets there.

Many problems with Defenders or 90s are from the fact that people do not maintain them properly. They treat them like c**p and expect them to run forever. If they were so bad, how come the Army has used them for years until a few years ago.

I like LRs but I have to ask, what does the army use now ?

They still use a couple of variants but these are much modified. They now have a large number of different vehicles depending on where they are, Warthog,Mastiffs etc. The LRs have no real blast protection from EDIs. Saying that, they were never designed for the role they were used for in Afghanistan etc.

U have never said wot u want it for? Type of work/driving u do? How much space in the back?

Even owning a 4x4, i wrote mine off last year and only very occasionally miss it (and i really could use 1 for work, but just make do), dear to run and dear to fix no mater wot brand. Got a wee scrapper van the now with winter tyres and it runs for peanuts and i put it some fairly queer bits, as long as got a down hill exit ur laughing

Ignoring the whole LR love/hate thing (personally i just don't get it) depending on wot u actually need it should make ur mind up for u. In my mind the hi lux and 90 are 2 very different vehicles and offer 2 very different things. If i had that money to spend there really would not be any hesitation on where my cash would go.

Many folk reckon a LR will go bits other won't, i've never been convinced usually far more to do with tyres or driver than the badge on the bonnet, seen all kinds bogged over the years, and even if they do u are talking about such extreme places u are going to get stuck eventually and when u do u will be stuck BIG. If ur going to talk about extreme off roading ur suzuki SJ or Jimny will also go places most other heavier ones won't won't. Even seen a lada riva travel places most wouldnae dare but the driver was a maniac!

Everyone wants something different out of there motors, and while other 4x4's may suit wot others use theres for u may be wanting something totally different.

Most of the reasons folk want/love LR's are no longer valid, no longer the best/only off roader, no longer uk built/owned, no longer simple engines with little electrics/copmplications, no longer highest towing capacity.

Basically they were the best 30 od years ago but have never moved with the times (dash has never changed in 30 yrs) and now are a pale shadow of there former self, and all these jap imposters have overtook and are now far superior in almost every aspect.

Possibly the only positive they have is off road but so few people actually push there LR's or any other 4x4 off road its no longer really important, and now these foreign 4x4's are abused on most farms, fencers, forestry etc than LR's and they are folk who need the off road ability

I have to pick you up on the point of UK built, all LRs are uk built.

I go both ways :lol::lol: have a LR and a Landcruiser.

Land rovers are very reliable the problem is the ******** that buy them think there invincible and they just hammer them to death with no servicing etc you want one from an enthusiast who has looked after it I've had mine 4 years now and it's only had a clutch master cylinder £12 and a power steering box seal £8 plus oil and filters every year and I've done over 30000 miles in that period

I have just bought a 90 after owning many other fwd's that were just 'not upto the job' but were more comfortable , economical etc. The landy has one huge plus, keep it in good nick and there is minimal depreciation. Add to that you will know that if anything can get to where you need to go its a landy. The first time you have to walk you will wish you had bought the landy.

If any car is on the cool wall, classless and timeless its a landy.

Its a simple choice an old car or a landrover.

If you can run two vehicles then buy the Landy, if you want a 4x4 you can use daily and go shooting in then buy the hilux. Though the issue I have with them is that the 3l isn't that economical and if you go for the 2.5 140 then they are few and far between. They hold their value pretty much as well as landrovers which was why I didn't get one last time round but I am a pickup convert for a mix of everyday use and shooting.

Big plus one..................ive got a 1988 2.5 td.....................last time i topped it up with water/antifreeze was 2 years ago........i use 1 litre of oil every 6 months....no oil leaks any where.......still got the same batterey from 7 years ago................just basic maintenance....you look after your car ...then you look after the landrover........

Mine gets regularly serviced and maintained. Never misses a beat, 100% reliable. Just like the Series IIa I drove for 12 years before. No oil leaks and… my heater actually works because I flushed it out when I bought it!

Sometimes it gets too hot in there.

Edited by mick miller

But most of u signing the praises of LR's have older ones when everything about was still positive, the newer ones have lost most of the positives and the reasons why u love them and work on them.

Must admit i don't even have a problem wuth there realibilty, all motors will break down eventually but i have seen all brands equally abused as LR's and cope with it, i just think they are very badly designed internally and most other makes are far more useable/adaptable on a day to daybasis for work or anything else

Even off the lovers would u invest 20k+ off ur own cash for a new one?

In my opinion poorly designed and with poorer build quality than some of the foreign ones that moved with the time and improved and modified.

If u really realy want an LR go for it, but are comparing a 90 to a 4 door hi-lux why not go for the 110 crew cab, a more similar vehicle, and probably still equal load space in the back + ur 4 seats

Althou still have nightmares about sitting in the back seat of 1 them for long journeys with chain pole saws sticking throu the back window in between us. Althou bizzarely it was actually worse when u had to drive the bloody thing, all squashed up to 1 side with that stupid box/space in the middle and the hand brake digging into ur calf

Edited by scotslad