2nd shoot day

Proudly

Our 2nd day after taking over the shoot this summer, still getting the lie of the land & an idea which way the birds fly. We had a good rake about the hedgerows & small coverts. Only 4 guns we couldn't cover the area we needed & missed a good few birds. We shot 8 pheasants, 1 partridge, 1 rabbit & the lab nailed a hare in cover. The river had flooded so we sat on the only bit of slack water we could find putting the decoys out before it got dark. I've never shot duck so didn't know what to expect, I honestly thought we'd blank. A group of wigeon came in & one was dropped. We heard a quad just across the boundary, I'm assuming he was a neighbouring farmer stood on his quad & started screaming at us saying we shouldn't be shooting here. We asked him what he meant as our map from the agent shows we were 150yds from the boundary. He shouted about a pond & sportsmanship then said he'll kill our ******* pheasants. Didn't have a clue what we had done but we intend to find out who he is & go speak to him. Never wanted bad relations with any neighbours so need to get to the bottom of it. Anyway I shot my first mallard & the other lads had 2 mallard & 3 wigeon. Not huge numbers but a nice mixed day & very enjoyable.

What you encountered was a neighbouring farmer, there normal opening line is "OYH *** ORF MILAND " ..you should be aware that any bird , duck , mammal that walks , fly's , crawls across , over , under , near his land is his , forever , weather he wants it or not its his ..their boundary is normally 500m off their land plus a 500m no mans land ..your land will start 2 gunshots the other side of no mans land .Any problems with pests , rabbits , pigeons , rats , mice ,locusts , flies ,slugs etc etc will be as a direct result of your pheasants , which will give him the absolute right to kill your birds ..The plagues of pest on his land caused by your birds cannot under any circumstances be shot by you or your guns .. Nothing you can say or do can alter any of the above .........except ......on the very odd occasion a large injection ........of CASH ....this isn't full proof , its not guaranteed to work but just MIGHT help ...welcome to the shoot captains club ...

Sounds like you had a nice day out regardless ...enjoyed the post ...

Our 2nd day after taking over the shoot this summer, still getting the lie of the land & an idea which way the birds fly. We had a good rake about the hedgerows & small coverts. Only 4 guns we couldn't cover the area we needed & missed a good few birds. We shot 8 pheasants, 1 partridge, 1 rabbit & the lab nailed a hare in cover. The river had flooded so we sat on the only bit of slack water we could find putting the decoys out before it got dark. I've never shot duck so didn't know what to expect, I honestly thought we'd blank. A group of wigeon came in & one was dropped. We heard a quad just across the boundary, I'm assuming he was a neighbouring farmer stood on his quad & started screaming at us saying we shouldn't be shooting here. We asked him what he meant as our map from the agent shows we were 150yds from the boundary. He shouted about a pond & sportsmanship then said he'll kill our ******* pheasants. Didn't have a clue what we had done but we intend to find out who he is & go speak to him. Never wanted bad relations with any neighbours so need to get to the bottom of it. Anyway I shot my first mallard & the other lads had 2 mallard & 3 wigeon. Not huge numbers but a nice mixed day & very enjoyable.

Sports man ship? where you shooting the duck of the water?

There may be a chance that he himself has a small shoot or puts some duck down in which case he may be cheesed of that you are shooting his birds or ruining his little little spot when he wants to shoot duck .

I have had a similar situation in the past but I immediately offered the chap a days shooting on our shoot to keep him on our side. ? he almost encourages us to pigeon shoot on his boundary hedges. A neighbour on your side is far better then an enemy neighbour.

No mate we had decoys on the small slack bit of water on the river which is on our land not his. Not sure if he has a pond or not as we have no intention of crossing the boundary. I just think his attitude was absolutely ****, had he asked us to call in to speak to him so he could explain what he meant fair enough. I'd happily invite him shooting with us as we were short of guns , thats if he hasn't already killed all our pheasants lol.

Spoke to farmer & he said theres nothing to worry about & he's good friends with the man who was shouting. Turns out he has a pond just over the boundary, which we didnt know about. We've said we'll shoot/feed further down the river in future anyway to avoid any problems. Rather be on good terms with our neighbours, just a shame he hadn't approached us in a different manner in the fitst place

Yeah i can relate to explosive introductions.

I have been guilty of retaliating and its best to pay him a visit and sort things out . if he is still a nightmare then ........................... Boll**ks to him

Spoke to the farmer, he said straight away he appreciated the effort we made to go find him & speak to him. He said he was in a bad mood that day also & we offered him a days shooting with us but although a nice gesture he said, he's too busy with the farm. We said we'd shoot further up the river, went to feed it & a dozen wigeon got up out of a flooded pool so hoping for a decent day this saturday

Spoke to the farmer, he said straight away he appreciated the effort we made to go find him & speak to him. He said he was in a bad mood that day also & we offered him a days shooting with us but although a nice gesture he said, he's too busy with the farm. We said we'd shoot further up the river, went to feed it & a dozen wigeon got up out of a flooded pool so hoping for a decent day this saturday

Great move .

Nice gesture and now he has no choice but to be nice ;)