insurance claim rant

colin lad

i will try to keep it short as i can,

so 2 and a half years ago my youngest lad was in a accident with a lexus 4x4 he was on his 50cc moped,

the car driver pulled out of his drive onto wrong side of road facing my son on his side of road,

he waited till my lad was about to go round him and then pulled off into the side of my lads bike hitting him with his front bumper,

after a year or so and him finding witnesses that weren't there at the time it turned out to be a knock for knock as they both would not admit liability,

he also claimed for whiplash he was pulling off in his lexus 4x4 and my lad who was slowing down to about 10mph when they hit (my lads gear stick broke off and bike was stuck in 2nd so for a 50cc i guess that would be about right) so how the impact gave him whiplash i don't know,

now come's the good bit,

my lad has just had a letter from another insurance company (one of them injury claims companies) saying the blokes wife is now doing a personal injury claim for whiplash from the same accident though this time her statement says they were reversing out of their drive when my lad hit them up the rear end causing her whiplash,

it just laughable how do they get away with it

colin

We had a bloke claim for injuring two fingers at work totalling £11k and the first we knew about it was at renewal. ???

He hadn't even damaged them and admited that in the accident book and signed it. We were livid as it's cost us.

If they had contacted us we could of proved it instead of him lying .

Turned out he's a cereal claimer at each place he worked

i am in 2 minds whether to contact insurance company to point out the differences in original statement to this new one

colin

It is a legal statement so I would, I finally got my pay out earlier this year from a low speed crash, only bodywork, but until I insisted in seeing their statement it was likely to go 50 50

Hope they get nothing but dissapoinent can't tdo with cash grabbers always claiming even if there's nothing wrong they are no better than the crash for cash scammers... On a similar subject tho my bike was stolen last night from outside my friends house just waiting for my insurance to hopefully get back and pay out but they was supposed to call today and I've not heard nothing so I'll be chasing them up tomorrow.

John

Definitely challenge it Colin.

A few years ago I got hit by a wagon that jumped the lights near J13 of the M1. I had a witness (a solicitor no less) who was following the wagon and saw him jump the lights and was prepared to testify to the fact.

Even though it was my firms car and I didn't claim for injury (I wasn't badly hurt or off work and I don't agree with chasing cash for when I wasn't really hurt) so it should have the been a straight forward claim. Suddenly as with you a mysterious other witness appeared (another wagon driver) and we ended up taking all the way to the magistrates court.

When I got there and my witness turned up guess what his witness didn't show and we got awarded full costs for the car repair and some expenses for our trouble. Unless challenged there people will continue to get away with it pushing up insurance costs for all.

In you sons case I mean seriously whiplash from hitting a moped in a minor collision at low speed total rubbish and blatant fraud!

Hope you get it sorted

Neil

We had a lad driving our van full of our gear on our fleet policy. A taxi run into the back of the van. We found out that the lad was not only claiming whiplash but also a grand for damaged goods (ours) and three weeks loss of earnings (he didn't have or need any time off)

Doubt that the police would show any interest-best make sure that your son's Insurance company are aware of the contradiction in statements and they should be able to refuse both claims but it comes down to money. If the other guy is willing to go to court then the Insurance company could face a huge bill if the case is lost-most of the time they will simply pay the claim and your son would be left with the blame. Might not be such a good idea to advertise the fact that your lads bike was stuck in second gear-with a broken gear lever I would consider the bike unroadworthy and a hazard if it could only manage 10 mph?

Surely if they said they REVERSED out of the drive then there at fault.

It is not illegal to reverse into a main road but it is not advisable. This is for safety reasons. The main road is likely to be very busy and there will be an increased chance of a collision due to the presence of more cars on the road. If an accident occurred due to you reversing onto a main road from a minor road then there may be the possibility of you being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention

taken from ASK THE POLICE.....

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/reversing-200-to-203

Surely its there fault...

Just to point out the 1st claim was all done and settled lads insurance paid him and other parties sorted theirs so thought it was all finished,

i have also looked to see their original claim the driver tried to claim whiplash and said no other people were hurt,

but now his wife is claiming

Colin

Doubt that the police would show any interest-best make sure that your son's Insurance company are aware of the contradiction in statements and they should be able to refuse both claims but it comes down to money. If the other guy is willing to go to court then the Insurance company could face a huge bill if the case is lost-most of the time they will simply pay the claim and your son would be left with the blame. Might not be such a good idea to advertise the fact that your lads bike was stuck in second gear-with a broken gear lever I would consider the bike unroadworthy and a hazard if it could only manage 10 mph?

the lads gear lever was broke off in the accident where the car hit him hence me saying it was laughable that they claiming he hit them up the rear

Colin

i had some 80 year old guy pull accross the road infront of me as i was was travelling past a junction. he was sat in a line of traffic and figured he'd just pull accross into the wrong side of the junction i was driving past.

annoyingly, i didnt even have time to hit the brakes. he just pulled straight out into the front of my car.

now this was at 3.30 on a tuesday afternoon, and about 500 yards away from the local school so you can imagine what the traffic was like. i was doing no more than 25 mph in a 30 limit.

his car had very little damage, mine = totalled (twas a vauxhall nova)

police turn up and immediately arrest me and breathalise me. apparently, as i was driving a nova i MUST have been speeding.

it wasnt until my dad turned up and started asking wether they had breathalised the other driver that they even thought about wether he was at fault.

turns out that not only was he twice the limit, he has a strong prescription for glasses for driving that he wasnt wearing...

as if that wasnt enough, a month later, i get a letter from his insurance company saying that he was making a claim for whiplash against me. how is that even possible?

it took 3 months of fighting to get that one sorted.

Edited by brett1985

I had the same thing happened to me many years ago, curiously enough in a Nova. Sat in a line of traffic in Harrogate. I was at the front of the queue at traffic lights, the lights were on red.

A big Lancia saloon with a lady driver hit me in the back and the Renault five following her also hit the back of the Lancia. She admitted fault there and then- how could she not? I checked everybody was okay, exchanged details and we all drove off.

I then received a letter from her husband and the insurance company saying that they were suing me for negligent driving and their uninsured losses. The fact that I was stationary in neutral at red lights was seemingly ignored.

Luckily I had paid extra for legal cover and I passed it over to my insurance company who resolved very quickly. It turns out that the lady had had so many accidents that if she'd had one more ( mine) the insurance company was refusing to cover her and her husband was trying to get out of the situation.

I had the same thing happened to me many years ago, curiously enough in a Nova. Sat in a line of traffic in Harrogate. I was at the front of the queue at traffic lights, the lights were on red.

A big Lancia saloon with a lady driver hit me in the back and the Renault five following her also hit the back of the Lancia. She admitted fault there and then- how could she not? I checked everybody was okay, exchanged details and we all drove off.

I then received a letter from her husband and the insurance company saying that they were suing me for negligent driving and their uninsured losses. The fact that I was stationary in neutral at red lights was seemingly ignored.

Luckily I had paid extra for legal cover and I passed it over to my insurance company who resolved very quickly. It turns out that the lady had had so many accidents that if she'd had one more ( mine) the insurance company was refusing to cover her and her husband was trying to get out of the situation.

its enough to make your blood boil!

the most annoying part with mine was that i had just restored the nova from the ground up... mint condition nova sri in nordic blue. worrth quite a bit nowadays.... :sad1: