243 or 6.5x55

ratty1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both good rounds , I changed over from .243 a couple of years ago to 6.5 x 55 , my main quarry is deer for which the 6.5 is superb , but if I did a lot of fox & just a few deer it would have to be the .243 , with the range of easily available ammo from 58gr up to my favourite 100gr it is in my opinion the most versatile of the two ..I am using a 128gr homeload through the 6.5 , its a great stopping round with really minimal damage & as accurate a round as I've ever used ..hard choice between the two ..

I'm looking for an all round rifle that I can use lamping aswel as stalking for roe up to red. What's your opinion?

A mate has a 6.5x55 and I have a .243....

One thing I did notice when I helped him set it up was the difference in the damage to the plate I had made up as a target @ 150 yards.

It was 15mm thick mild steel, my 95 gn round punches a deep crater and leaves a convex lump out on the other side, his 147 gn round hardly left a mark. However I had to bash the stake back up right as it was being knocked backwards by his rounds.

His was £2200.00 mine was £600.00 and I would rather have mine to shoot, but his to look at....

Edit to add....He was with me when I shot a 140 kg Red with mine.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

A mate has a 6.5x55 and I have a .243....

One thing I did notice when I helped him set it up was the difference in the damage to the plate I had made up as a target @ 150 yards.

It was 15mm thick mild steel, my 95 gn round punches a deep crater and leaves a convex lump out on the other side, his 147 gn round hardly left a mark. However I had to bash the stake back up right as it was being knocked backwards by his rounds.

His was £2200.00 mine was £600.00 and I would rather have mine to shoot, but his to look at....

TEH

Probablly this was due to the round rather than the rifle .......

Probablly this was due to the round rather than the rifle .......

Yes I agree...as I have seen the trauma from my rounds and know only head or neck shoot Muntjac.

Mind you I shot 2 fallow last March @ 230 yards one after the other crossing a ride, both heart shot and the both just went over..

TEH

I'm looking for an all round rifle that I can use lamping aswel as stalking for roe up to red. What's your opinion?

A bit more info might help some give you a better answer as much depends on personal choice ........

Will you reload or just use factory ammo?

What distances are you shooting at as a typical distance?

What is the likely proportion of foxes to deer? ie. mostly one or the other.... and are most of the deer roe with the odd red?

What numbers of shots will you take, roughly?

Are you happy to shoot 2 bullet weights from one rifle and adjust for the change in POI between the bullets?

How long have you had your FAC or is this a new application and first centre fire?

What calibre can/is your land cleared for?

A bit more info might help some give you a better answer as much depends on personal choice ........

Will you reload or just use factory ammo?

What distances are you shooting at as a typical distance?

What is the likely proportion of foxes to deer? ie. mostly one or the other.... and are most of the deer roe with the odd red?

What numbers of shots will you take, roughly?

Are you happy to shoot 2 bullet weights from one rifle and adjust for the change in POI between the bullets?

How long have you had your FAC or is this a new application and first centre fire?

What calibre can/is your land cleared for?

What is your preferred calibre.........?

TEH

Basically I have had a centre fire ticket for nearly 10 years and have had deer,fox and alq on it for the last five, have owned a 223 and now looking to upgrade, mainly fox and roe on my ground but a friend I shoot with has red so I'm looking for a good all round calibre. I don't shoot the amount of foxes I used to so I'm only knocking over a few here and there so a larger calibre isn't going to be a hindrance.

it would be a choice between the 270 and 308 I chose the 308 never looked back

That's quite a statement... :) Have you ever had a .270?

I haven't the room for the extra rifle or the money. So just one allrounder.

The only caliber you will ever need in UK is the .270... don't dismiss it, have a look at the ballistics and bullet choice,you might be surprised. :yes:

.243 for fox and small deer with a single home load + a 7mm with a 140 grain home laid for bigger deer but will develop an heavier load for wild boar

How have you done this year for foxes and small deer this season?

I use 2 factory rounds of the same brand 75 and the 95....very little difference in them, I just put a couple of clicks on the Kahles for the 95 with the rangy Fallow...

TEH

When I first got my 6.5 I thought the same, great I can use 85 for this 129 or 140 for that and 160 for the other.

In the end none of that happened of course and I use 140's for everything, and I bet most other people who don't like faff do the same

Not only do like one rifle, I like one bullet as well - K.I.S.S. and all that.

Depends if they shoot to the same point at 100 yards. I wouldn't shoot deer with a fast 56 grain but they are brilliant on foxes. Yes the 85's work well but they aren't point and shoot in the same way. Personally I shoot foxes all summer and the odd deer to be able to swap just makes life simple.

Yeah I guess it's like the mod on/mod off thing, if you are lucky enough to have a rifle that doesn't re-zeroing in between you are fine.

I admit I am lazy but re-zeroing my rifle twice a year is a twice to often for me.

I just shoot deer year round, but also need to be able to whack any fox I see.