Philip Hughes.

digger

poor guy and poor bowler. sad loss

Apparently he was not wearing the latest version of the helmet according to the manufacturer and he received an impact similar to a high speed motor vehicle crash.

Sympathies to the family and to the bowler who must feel terrible.

I will take the positives from the sad event. If, when my time comes to pop my mortal clogs, I die doing something I truely love and have no pain or suffering (Phil was knocked unconscious and never recovered) I would view that a good end. However, I hope it doesn't happen any time soon. Tough day for all involved.

Such sad news for family of both batsman and bowler..

Not blaming the poor guy at all but you might as well do away with stumps in modern cricket cause nobody bowls at them any more... and idiot can pitch a ball halfway down the strip and around the batsmans ears but it takes skill to pitch it on a handkerchief and move it into or away from the batsman.

I gave up 20 years of county league cricket when they introduced Helmets ....I always found they lulled you into a false sense of security and your reaction times were compromised.

I hope the bowler gets the proper support and counselling...he's going to need it..poor chap

Such sad news for family of both batsman and bowler..

Not blaming the poor guy at all but you might as well do away with stumps in modern cricket cause nobody bowls at them any more... and idiot can pitch a ball halfway down the strip and around the batsmans ears but it takes skill to pitch it on a handkerchief and move it into or away from the batsman.

I gave up 20 years of county league cricket when they introduced Helmets ....I always found they lulled you into a false sense of security and your reaction times were compromised.

I hope the bowler gets the proper support and counselling...he's going to need it..poor chap

How did they introduce helmets? Unless you are 18 or under they are optional.

I have played since school, and still do. I have only ever tried to wear a helmet a couple of times in the nets, despite top edging a couple of times into my own face over the years.

I will buy one for this coming season and stick with it. I know on this occasion the ball missed the helmet, but every litte helps.

Thoughts go out to everyone involved both in the clubs/leagues in Australia and Philips family.

How did they introduce helmets? Unless you are 18 or under they are optional.

I have played since school, and still do. I have only ever tried to wear a helmet a couple of times in the nets, despite top edging a couple of times into my own face over the years.

I will buy one for this coming season and stick with it. I know on this occasion the ball missed the helmet, but every litte helps.

Thoughts go out to everyone involved both in the clubs/leagues in Australia and Philips family.

And there have only been 100 cases of this particular injury.

Oh,and they do bowl at the stumps.

And there have only been 100 cases of this particular injury.

Oh,and they do bowl at the stumps.

Do they indeed...so that's why we need helmets then.? You obviously don't watch too much English Cricket :lol:

I believe Helmets make you lazy because as I say you are lulled into a false sense of security.... I never felt comfortable wearing one...then again I got to the stage I never felt comfortable not wearing one.

You are always going to get facial injuries when the ball takes an edge or leaps up of a bad strip....but in this case this was a freak accident...did the fact he had a helmet on make him drop his guard ? we will never know.

Terribly sad nonetheless...you don't expect any one to lose their life playing Cricket...Helmet or Not. :no:

Then there was that guy in the summer where the ball nearly went through the bar grills just wedged there he was ok after a trip to hospital but it did look bad I must say it does annoy me when the last two or three tail enders are in and they boll short out of spite just to heart them when they cannot defend them self and they call it sport.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

The genuine sympathy shown on social media from fans and players of all nations has been quite humbling. A loss like this transcends any rivalry. I have been to several England / Australia games and whilst the banter in the stands has at times been hilarious whats is said and done on the pitch has become too intense. If any good comes of this tragedy I hope its to remind everyone its a game.