ShaggyRS6

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaggy,

I used to live in Nanuet, just on the other side of the border in NY. I take it you found Davis sporting goods then. For a time I worked in Ramsey outdoor on rt 17, right around the corner from you. If you haven't already, there is a gander mountain at Middleton, about 45 minutes north. There is also the Davis shooting range at Goshen.

The FOID card was a pain. I couldn't buy from the shop I worked in in NJ despite being a NY resident as I didn't have an FOID card. I refused to live in NJ for their gun laws (and plenty of other reasons).

You'll want to find a hunter's safety course soon also. They should start offering them in January i think.

Rick

Yeah I know Nanuet, been going to Davis for a long time. Nice people. Ramsey outdoor is closer, like 5 mins away but they have an chip on their shoulders. I done the online course, just waiting for the practical in March.

Daft question but can you buy a non selection SA80 in the US?

I would have thought so. My friend has all sorts, AK's etc.

Curiously,thats more expensive than here! I can get 100x 357's for £32 and 38's are much cheaper than that.

However,you get to play with lots of obscene toys though. :lol:

Yes, these are one of the mos expensive rounds. There were not on special either.

Of the pistols I shot out there last year I really enjoyed the 1911 .45acp and 9mm Glock 19.

The wife wouldnt shoot the 1911 but gave the glock a go and did well with it. If for any reason i found myself living out there I would likely go the glock route as there nice and cheap and the wife would also be able to use a glock variant and magizines and ammo could be pretty much universal.

I also shot a .308 SLR out there which was fun, sadly didnt get to have a blast with a M14 or M1 which I would of loved.

Great to hear your enjoying it and making friends, an evening on the range followed by beer and pizza sounds like my idea of a good night.

ATB

Matt

Not surprised you liked the Glock the least. I absolutely detest them, only had one as it belonged to work.

Nicest handgun I had was an older Smith and Wesson Semi Auto. CZ is a nice gun to shoot, as is the Beretta 92F. Personally I prefer metal framed pistol, not too keen on tupperware guns.

You're a lucky fella.Last pistol i shot was a stainless 357 taurus with a 6inch barrel,dunno what model but the boom it made in the underground range was awesome!and the recoil wasnt half as bad as i thought it would be.i know you like the hand cannons shaggy but if you get a chance try a 9mm makarov theyre lovely to shoot,especially the east german made ones.

Edited by deadeye18

A member of my USA family, a very pretty 16yo lass, Facebooked me a picture of her shooting a semi-auto rifle witha plea for her dad to buy her one for Xmas. Here she would probably be locked up. Envious yes I am. Not of the gun but that she can make such a comment without being branded a freak.

Not quite. At my club there are a lot of young people that have shot and put pictures and even videos on their Facebook accounts. Nothing has happened to them since they are engaged in a legal activity. It's not as if they were a criminal taking pictures with their illegal firearms. Stop being scared to respresent your sport or to say that you like shooting.

I took some video of Jordan shooting last night. But was his first time with a hand gun. He was apprehensive at first but soon got into it. He did not like the 687, well not with the 357 magnum rounds. He was fine with the. 38 special in it.

There guy we went with out snap caps in Jordan's and mine, just to see how much we flinched. I was pretty ok, maybe twice I had a big time flinch. Those are the shots you mess up, so best to get out that habit asap. Jordan flinched a lot.

But he done fine. More practice required. I am happy he can now safely load and unload and fire a semi auto and revolver.

I took some video of Jordan shooting last night. But was his first time with a hand gun. He was apprehensive at first but soon got into it. He did not like the 687, well not with the 357 magnum rounds. He was fine with the. 38 special in it.

There guy we went with out snap caps in Jordan's and mine, just to see how much we flinched. I was pretty ok, maybe twice I had a big time flinch. Those are the shots you mess up, so best to get out that habit asap. Jordan flinched a lot.

But he done fine. More practice required. I am happy he can now safely load and unload and fire a semi auto and revolver.

It isn't compulsory to shoot full weight magnum loads. Light loads are fine for target work and can reduce the likelihood of a flinch developing in those not used to firearms.

Spent a couple of hours tonight at the range. Shock a Glock 22 40 Cal. Actually liked that. But it's becoming clear I like the big guns. I shot a model 19 4inch and my favourite of all 686 6 inch firing .357 magnum. boom, it's a hand cannon.

My brother in law has a Ruger P90 in 45 auto. If you like big guns, then this would be one to try if you can. The gun is smooth and feels great in my hand. The 45 is a thumper, but not quite a bark-y as the 357 or 44 magnums. It wouldn't be a warm weather carry gun, but makes a great truck gun.

thanks

rick

Yeah he much preferred the lighter bullet

Light loads are great for paper punching, and even steel plates and pins don't need magnum velocities. I scored my first ever 10 in the black with a mates Ruger 'Bisley' Blackhawk .44 Magnum firing light target loads, and even my Colt .45ACP functioned perfectly well with light loads. Light loads also mean faster recovery and therefore target acquisition for follow up shots. Full weight magnums through a .44 is fun for the first few, but the novelty soon wears off.

I'm very envious of your freedom; you're going to have some fun. :yes:

Yes I will be having much fun. I have so much to look forward too so I am trying not to rush. Firstly I have the range. I am pretty sure I am going to join as a Platinum member. Now that's expensive, its $2400 a year, but gives me the following. I want to do all the courses and they give me a 1:1 2 hour course with a senior instructor. I don't have my FID card yet but I can have 100 gun hires for free, and in fact if I ever hired more than 100 they would not care.

Having this members ship for just one year enables me and my son to become more proficient. We get to also try everything available, which will save us spending money on guns we don't like. So that the range.

Then we have hunting, I finished my online course and I am awaiting a hunters education practice course in May, then I can join a local hunting club. By this time I will be proficient again with firearms, I would see me using the range less and the hunting club and outdoor range more.

I'd like to become an NRA teacher, I'd like to do self defense courses and I I used to ask myself why do people do this in the states? Its bloody good fun and in the case of Gun For Hire its in one of the safest environments there is.

I sat last night talking to 2 police chiefs that go to this place for training. Telling me about their life stories. And then a young couple came in, in their 20’s the young girl had a tactical shotgun and her boyfriend some hand guns. They had a great time. Some very interesting people at the range!

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would let you all no a number of things happened in very quick succession.

1. Our Green Cards got approved - and we now have them

2. I passed my online hunter edu course, the practical part is in a couple of weeks

3. My firearms license and 2 hand gun permits were picked up yesterday

So now im pretty much all set. Now the hard part comes. Spending money. The following is on my wish list, but not sure what order I will go win.

1. S&W 686 .357 magnum (Long Barrel)

2. Some sort of 9mm maybe Glock 19

3. .308 Rifle (Just because I can and I like long range hunting)

4. Shotgun 12 gauge, probably semi auto or pump. Not sure what yet.

In NJ you are limited to 1 pistol purchase every 30 days. The permits I have are valid for 90 days. After that you have to reapply every time you want a pistol. I can have an many rifles and shotguns as I want. Ammo is also unlimited and in fact If I by across the state line in NY they don't even ask for ID.

Just thought I would let you all no a number of things happened in very quick succession.

1. Our Green Cards got approved - and we now have them

2. I passed my online hunter edu course, the practical part is in a couple of weeks

3. My firearms license and 2 hand gun permits were picked up yesterday

So now im pretty much all set. Now the hard part comes. Spending money. The following is on my wish list, but not sure what order I will go win.

1. S&W 686 .357 magnum (Long Barrel)

2. Some sort of 9mm maybe Glock 19

3. .308 Rifle (Just because I can and I like long range hunting)

4. Shotgun 12 gauge, probably semi auto or pump. Not sure what yet.

In NJ you are limited to 1 pistol purchase every 30 days. The permits I have are valid for 90 days. After that you have to reapply every time you want a pistol. I can have an many rifles and shotguns as I want. Ammo is also unlimited and in fact If I by across the state line in NY they don't even ask for ID.

Good for you. Have fun and spare a thought for us lot who aren't trustworthy. :yes: