First Experience with Hand Guns - An an Assault Rifle

ShaggyRS6

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I had a re-think. So I have 2 pistol permits - I am going to extend one (if my local PD let me) for 180 days. I have got my choices down now to a H&K VP9 or a Walther PPQ - Done a lot of research and I think these are good choices. I also looked at a Ruger GP100 and to be fair I liked the double action on that much more than the S&W and its cheaper and its more available.

Shotguns. Dont know - Would like an Xtreme, but they are 1700 - .308 Savage felt crappy, the store did not have much else. Dont want wood. So still thinking about the rifles and shotty.

I'm not up to speed on the ultra modern auto handguns to be honest, and even the SIG and CZ I had a go with will be somewhat dated by todays standards. A mate had a Browning HP which was fun, but I preferred the classics and the only two autos I owned were a Steyr in 9mm Steyr, dated 1917, and a 1911 Colt .45ACP, built on an A1 frame with a Series 80 barrel and quite bait of custom work done to it, but not to the state it was classed as a race gun. It was great fun.

As for revolvers, well I had quite a few, but much preferred the Sp101 to the GP100. All my S&W's were much more accurate than I could ever be, but the most accurate revolver I fired was without doubt a Mannhurin in .32 Long. Happy days. :) Have fun.

Well I had a re-think. So I have 2 pistol permits - I am going to extend one (if my local PD let me) for 180 days. I have got my choices down now to a H&K VP9 or a Walther PPQ - Done a lot of research and I think these are good choices. I also looked at a Ruger GP100 and to be fair I liked the double action on that much more than the S&W and its cheaper and its more available.

Shotguns. Dont know - Would like an Xtreme, but they are 1700 - .308 Savage felt crappy, the store did not have much else. Dont want wood. So still thinking about the rifles and shotty.

Just to throw out a suggestion. Have you had a look at Kimber? Some of their 45's shoot as lightly as a 9mm. They also make several models in 9mm. Build quality and engineering is middle-high end. Prices the same. Not quite a Wilson, but definitely not a Taurus either.

Edited by notsosureshot

There are plenty of Glocks here for sale, people buy them for the name and reputation and then realise its all hype. I don't see anything special about them terrible trigger, moderately reliable , and cheap. Shoot plenty of different models of handguns before choosing, and then buy a CZ 75 SPO1, I did and wouldn't change it.

Well guys you are all going down the same thought process as me. Colt 1911 - Probably the best service weapon ever, and i knew nothing of this till recently. What a gun!! Im in love. Kimber? Yes, but very expensive, I looked a a S&W today, only $1100 second hand!! So I dunno.

I am going to shoot the PPQ next week when I am back from Texas, would love to shoot the VP9 but I am hearing they are so similar. I think a Colt 45 1911 may be my second hand gun.

I have 90 days to decide before the permit expires.

Have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV7l4AjeXk

Edited by ShaggyRS6

Well guys you are all going down the same thought process as me. Colt 1911 - Probably the best service weapon ever, and i knew nothing of this till recently. What a gun!! Im in love. Kimber? Yes, but very expensive, I looked a a S&W today, only $1100 second hand!! So I dunno.

I am going to shoot the PPQ next week when I am back from Texas, would love to shoot the VP9 but I am hearing they are so similar. I think a Colt 45 1911 may be my second hand gun.

I have 90 days to decide before the permit expires.

Have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV7l4AjeXk

If you are using your pistol for CCW then I wouldn't bring cost into it too much. Thats a bit like buying a motorcycle helmet on a budget. How much do you value yourself?

Use what feels right, what you are confident with and something that will do the job you are asking it to do. Shoot the same model before you buy it. Sounds silly, but many people, me included, have in the past fallen into this trap!

Kimber are not really all that expensive. Compare to Wilson Combat for example. But you really do get what you pay for, believe me.

For CCW, I would find a hard time arguing against a .38spc (revolver of course) with shotshells. A common thing amongst my friend group is to chamber 2 shotshells and 4 JHP in the remaining. The first is often rock salt rather than shot. Theory being, in a panic situation, you might not be as accurate as you are down the range and painful distraction might be enough. We queried this with several experts on the course, a couple of times over the years, and there was no real argument against it. A 1911 full frame is too large for most people as a CCW though although there are various compact versions available from a variety of sources. Remember, revolvers very very rarely jam, making them ideal for CCW.

Alternatively, again for CCW in a more compact form, Bersa .380 auto's are competitively priced. Shot one a lot and liked it, simple to operate, also very easy to maintain. Would be ideal for the glove box depending on your local state laws. Hope this is not sounding too "walt" for the UK audience.....

Anyway, it's basically what works for you.

That said, if you're only talking about range work, you'll find it hard to beat a quality 1911 for fun, accuracy and cost of running. Try not to gravitate towards Colt immediately, take a look around at other brands. But don't look at Wilsons because as soon as you do, you'll buy one and your wife will get mad and stuff.....lol Vintage 1911's are lovely and I cut my teeth on that very thing. Cheap as chips and you feel like you're touching a piece of history.

PS. Just as a side note because they are common and affordable. Taurus automatic's are gump (revolvers are decent though) and I wish I'd listened to the advice I was given. I had a Taurus automatic, PT24/7 in 45, standard frame, it had an issue with feed first time out, literally after 20 rounds. Obviously since I don't live in the US, it took an age to sort out. Luckily someone helped me do this. When I returned it went straight to a dealer to be sold.

Edited by notsosureshot

By the way, I just thought of this option for you. You'd need to check if you are eligible, though. Not to mention waiting times and so on. Since Obama, people have been going crazy for this stuff so it might be a bit of a drawn out process. Still, I'd say well worth it.

http://thecmp.org/

A brilliant way to source and own an M1 garand and let's face it, who would not want to own a legendary rifle!

MODS: This should not constitute advertising. The above is a US government scheme designed to encourage firearms ownership with proper training. It is a non-profit scheme, not a commercial venture. I am not affiliated with the CMP.

Edited by notsosureshot

Ok so after much research I went with the Walther PPQ, it was between that and the H&K VP9 and there was actually only $10 difference. The Walther felt nicer, had a nicer trigger and more importantly fit my hand more ergonomically than the H&K. For instance, the Mag release on the H&K it a paddle by the trigger card, great concept, but I have small hands (I dont smell of cabbages) and could not reach it with my thumb. the Walther fits like a glove!