Polishing shotgun bores

matty*

Is the barrel pitted matty or in needed a good clean? If the latter I soak it in bore cleaner then run a bronze brush through a lot, and keep doing it, mind you mine are never really bad so depends on the condition to start with , I have heard some people put the bronze brush on an electric drill , a well know mid norfolk gun shop was going to clean up the pitted bore on a gun I was interested in ! I walked away

I have used wire wool on a clothe mop wrapped on a brass rod and driven by a drill.

Wet and dry will do the same 800-1000's, bit of oil. Don't let it get too hot and don't let it stay in one spot. Let the paper wear.

Depends on what you want to do but autosol will also do some polishing.

U.

I ask because when shooting rio royals a week back the seemed sticky in the chamber. Rios have a long brass but id quite like to give them a good clean/polishing just to keep it good. Thanks for helpfull replies.

Could that be the cartridges rather than the gun though ?

shouldn't need to put wire wool through it - not needed with decent cleaning products! for a bit of fowling.

if overbored barrels then try a 10 bore brass brush and some good cleaner.

bit of elbow grease and job done!

Edited by Dibs

Remember that if you use an abrasive such as even 1000 grit paper you only have to remove a few thousandths of an inch from the bore to render even a new gun out of proof. Out of proof = valueless until submitted for reproof.

With 1000 emery paper it will take a long long time to take out even .001". Take it from one who hones a lot of barrels and knows how long it takes to remove metal . After black I use 600 wet or dry with no ill effects as well as when a gun is serviced and bore polished to remove any fouling and leading . Always check bore size first of course but just polishing should have virtually no detrimental effect at all.