Keeping moisture out of cabinet?

PAV331

My gun cabinet is installed in my loft (only place for it), I keep my guns in socks inside it and have loads of silica desiccant and a napier VP90(in date). The guns seem to be fine and I've had it up there a couple of years now but I recently put a humidity indicator in and it changed colour pretty quick indicating damp.

Can anyone recommend and relatively cheap method to remedy this problem?

Unless the cabinet is truely airtight a silica bag is going to be fighting a losing battle. I have mine in the loft and I just make extra care to ensure the guns are well oiled. This has worked for me for many years but I have considered alternatives.

Polystyrene wont keep anything warm if there is no warmth to keep in. I have considered a 5W heater and building a box around the cabinet.

The key to avoiding excess humidity is to have the air in the protected area a little warmer than the surroundings (the warmer air is , the more moisture it can hold without condensation). I think that insulating the outside of the cabinet - and a small (maybe 5 of 10 Watts) heater used inside would be a good plan. I would avoid polystyrene as its very inflammable, but there are plenty of modern foam boards used in the building industry that I assume pass fire prevention tests. There is a fine line - as too dry can damage the woodwork as can wide swings in temperature. I would also be worried (in my loft anyway) about excess heat (and temperature change) in the summer (and its effect on the gun's wood-metal fit). I wouldn't have salt anywhere near my guns!

Interesting how did u locate the reptile pad was it on the base of the cabinet or did u put a divider in between the guns and the heated pad?

I've just bought one and am debating how to do it?

Cheers

I used to have the same issue, stuck some cavity wall insulation boards on the side of the cabinet. Then used a £15 reptile tank heater from pets at home inside. Dont have any issues anymore :good:.

It all depends on the temperature - ie

with air at 20c and 60% rh which is about the worst the average house gets before you get condensation and therefore damp the temperature of the object has to drop below 12c so it is difficult to give an ideal humidity.

outside air when raining is as near 100% rh as you can get so assuming 5c as the temperature of that air when you warm it to say 15 c the humidity drops to about 50%

In simple terms if you can keep your cabinet internals above 13 to 15c you should not get condensation and the damp it causes.

Liquid water comes out of air at what is known as the dew point and it is this that generally cause corrosion.

Interesting how did u locate the reptile pad was it on the base of the cabinet or did u put a divider in between the guns and the heated pad?

I've just bought one and am debating how to do it?

Cheers

Hi Mate, Fixed it onto the top on the cabinet so it "dangles" down and is not touching the metal of the cabinet. Thought putting it higher was better not near the wooden gun stocks. Not had any issues with moisture whatsoever since it was put in.