keeping warm in the hide

fieldwanderer

Cold feet can be due to feet sweating , you need a bit of room in your footwear to allow some warm air to build do not wear enough socks to make the fit tight.

Spraying the bottom of your feet with antiperspirant will help stop the sweating and lead to warmer feet.

Now there's a thing i would never have thought of. :good:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold weather tips , never sit so I can move feet in the hide, lay hay,grass and weeds on floor of hide to insulate from the cold. Wear 3mm neoprene wellies , heavyweight army trousers then gortex over-trousers to stop the wind. When you pick up jog around to build up I bit of heat in the body. Three pints of coffee. Neoprene gloves.

I use ski thermals, toastie warm and non restrictive, fleece lined trousers and army jumper, Jacket, a hand warmer (Peacock) gets shared between both hands, balaclava if it's really cold, fingerless gloves (can't do full gloves) from Millets, Aigle fleece socks over normal socks and wellies.

Try to cut out the wind, I have a piece of tarpaulin which I hook up wherever the wind is coming from, and some vegetation on the floor to insulate my feet from the ground.

Edited by Cosd

Cold weather tips , never sit so I can move feet in the hide, lay hay,grass and weeds on floor of hide to insulate from the cold. Wear 3mm neoprene wellies , heavyweight army trousers then gortex over-trousers to stop the wind. When you pick up jog around to build up I bit of heat in the body. Three pints of coffee. Neoprene gloves.

That would be a sight for sore eyes. A sixty something old man with a heavy Tash, two pairs of trousers and gloves jogging round a muddy field. I for one would pay good money to see that.

get yourself a used divers undersuit like a thinsulate off the bay ,its a onesey that goes under a divers drysuit to keep ya warm.

fleece inside with a wind proof outer shell.

i use one under me boiler suit for welding in the man cave this time of year, toasty.

ideal for the job and pretty cheap £15-£25 quid usually

Edited by Remimax

only trouble with the coffee is when you got to have a pee by the time you find your old man all the pigeons have flown by.

There Are stick on ,Body heat sources they use for people with pain in the back etc, one I bought lasted for 20 hours and was damn hot all the time..

They are not very expensive, and as it is not a daily occurance, it is worth every penny anyway, its like having a hot water bottle down your back..

There are ones you put in your wellys, but don`t last very long, But a day on the water on the washes with ice on the branches is no joke..

Been there for 40 years, only Twice did I ever think I should have gone home, that was when my waders and white overalls froze on me, had to take them all off in one go, They were like plaster castes, they stood up for 3 days in the porch before collapsing.. yes we did come home in a car, but brother,,, a bloody caravanette with no heating nearly took my toes off.. (Never Went in it again). used 6 tins of de-icer on the way home,, I kid you not..

cheap nylon shower curtains coloured with wood stain cut out the wind if hung under your hide net. bit like the divers suit thing old neoprene chest waders cut the boots off ( normally split anyway ) then put them on with my normal wellingtons ( neoprene ). Hands and feet always a struggle.

I have found good quality merino wool socks inside muckboots to be fantastic for long days sat in frozen fields. I use an German army hat which has lots of wool and flaps for the ears if it is very bad, the nice feature of these is the fold down sun visor and forehead cover (tiny details that make a big difference). Everything in between the boots and the hat is layered up often with merino base layers.

Look for a set of Fireman's over trousers....un-pick the reflective tape and they will last for years...It took me 6 seasons to take out the knee's of hard ferreting to do that...

I have 2 sets as after I brought one pair I was given a second with the braces missing so just fitted my old pair.

If you think what fire men have to work in then sitting in a hide will keep you legs very warm...

For the top half I don't layer up to much as there is nothing worse in not being able to swing the gun......

Last resort is go home.....

TEH

Aren't they in front of a fire though ?

I used to take fishing parties out in the winter Cod fishing in the North sea , and if you think its cold in a hide it is warm compared to an open boat with very little protection from the elements , at least you can walk around from your hide like setting a few dead ones up , or going after a runner but in a boat with between 8 and 10 people sitting fishing there is very little room to walk around.

Both of my brothers were in the lifeboat crews and every so often there all in one suit were replaced with a improved version of the previous ones so we had the old ones for fishing and I have never came across any thing better...........just a pity they wernt in Real Tree instead of Orange.

I am surprised, with all pigeon shooting gear on the market today someone hasnt come up with a Hide Heater. :lol:

I've considered it, seriously; http://www.skcamping.com/parabolic-heater-cartridge-operated.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA-5-kBRDylPG5096R8mASJABqEdm4alHMp0POQcQ1ewCuTzuql85E4zTCp-2U-eMIWLYD0hoCNiHw_wcB