keeping warm in the hide

fieldwanderer

If neoprene boots keep your feet warm and neoprene gloves do the same for your hands, why has no-one tried wearing a pair of neoprene waders with a jacket on top and some goretex army troos on the bottom. Job jobbed surely? I spent hours in a lake in France in a pair of neo waders whilst netting it, in the middle of winter, and only started getting really cold at the end of the day.

Edited by mick miller

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found that keeping my wrists warm helps. Fished many winters in the Fens sat their whilst watching the drains freeze over in front of my eyes.

I just get an old pair of socks, cut off at the anke and cut a small slit in the side for your thumb. They cover the back/Palm of your hand and extend up your arm above the wrist allowing you to use your fingers. You can always wear a pair of gloves over the top if you need to.

• 1 month later...

Schoffel....do a all in one body suit.......but it aint cheap.....its used by hunters in scandinavia......im sure there are other cheaper versions.........

im tempted to try and find a decent "onesy",,,to wear underneath instead of my usual thermals...............

Have a look at the carp anglers kit. I've got a "Onsie" that I used to use when fishing in my bivy. Warm as toast and fleece lined with a hood. Mind you, one does tend to look a bit on the weird side but who cares when you are warm and you have your semi in your hand!

• 2 months later...

Unlace/slacken your boots off for circulation.... although I prefer wellies with a natural lining (absorbs sweat better than neoprene).

Two pairs of socks - thin inner wool, thicker outer wool.

If sitting sit on insulation (newspaper unless damp or a bit cut off a cheap foam camping mat).

Rest feet on insulation (another bit of camping mat).

Don't break a sweat getting to or setting up the hide.

I find a good nights sleep makes a huge difference to how I feel the cold.

Porridge for breakfast (although the SNP have banned it for the English) with a mars bar melted in to it - you'll be so wired you could power a toaster!!!

For those interested in one pieces - cavers often use fleece undersuits...look for warmbac etc........divers undersuits often have mesh cuffs for wrist seals on dry suits. http://inglesport.com/products/warmbac-fleece-undersuit

Use a cut down tarpaulin , roughly the length and of your hide plus both side and attach it to the hide where the wind blows through.

Also a cup of soup keeps you warmer than a cup Tea or Coffee.

that is what i do with my rabbit hide use camo tarpaulin and it is quite cheap to buy off E**Y