Browning 725 Cleaning Issue (ring in barrel)

MrDaniel

Hi,

I have been cleaning my Browning 725 and I'm really struggling to get rid of a dark ring (about 1 inch long) that’s 3 or so inches down the barrel.

The rest took some aggressive scrubbing with the brass wire thingy, lots of gun cleaner and kitchen roll. It’s now about 99% perfect, but this ring is going nowhere.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

Thanks

Are you sure it is only dirt and not a bulge. I don't want to unnecessarily alarm you, but you do need to know.

Block the end of the barrels - a cloth stood in the kitchen sink will do. Pour boiling water - carefully - down the barrel and stand for a minute or so. Drain it, run a cleaning rod through the barrel and check again. If it is still there - see a gunsmith.

Can you see it in both barrels ? Or just the one . If in both barrels then it is likely to be the shadow of the forcing cone . If in one barrel it could be a bulge or it could be muck . If you have a bulge you should be able to feel it by gently running you fingers along the out side of the barrel .

Harnser

Bit of a hijack here but I have a similar issue but with my 525....I bought it 2nd hand and it is immaculate I obviously checked it all over when I bought it, but after cleaning it for the first time when I swabbed the top barrel out I noticed what looks like a line of dirt about 8mm wide running all the way down the barrel from the forcing cone to where it meets the choke.

When theres oil in th tubes you can't see it which is why I didn't spot it when I bought the gun, any ideas guys? And more importantly how can I get rid....I've scrubbed the barrel till the cows came home but no joy :-(

Bit of a hijack here but I have a similar issue but with my 525....I bought it 2nd hand and it is immaculate I obviously checked it all over when I bought it, but after cleaning it for the first time when I swabbed the top barrel out I noticed what looks like a line of dirt about 8mm wide running all the way down the barrel from the forcing cone to where it meets the choke.

When theres oil in th tubes you can't see it which is why I didn't spot it when I bought the gun, any ideas guys? And more importantly how can I get rid....I've scrubbed the barrel till the cows came home but no joy :-(

Hi not familiar with the gun but are the barrels chrome if not its a rust river had one on my browning bps ten bore after water had run down the barrel and I never had a shot so I put the gun away without cleaning it .

Hi not familiar with the gun but are the barrels chrome if not its a rust river had one on my browning bps ten bore after water had run down the barrel and I never had a shot so I put the gun away without cleaning it .

Pretty sure they're chromed the guns only a couple of years old so would've thought they were. It does actually look a bit like rust I'll try and take a pic of it

• 3 weeks later...

I had a new 725 with a mark up the top barrel. back to dealer back to Browning reamer up the barrel took out 1 thou of chrome ****-- up the gun browning said the warranty still applied, dealer would not change for new gun as browning would back the warranty. wanted to take them to court but could not afford it. So got ****-- gun back where you could see where they had spun the reamer in the top barrel. Really ****** off Browning said tuff luck. Sold the gun lost a fortune. Hope you don't need Browning's help cause they are the worst in the world for customer service inc BWM.