Reccomend me a torch please

Paul@Ribchester

Hi, I'm looking for a torch for me and my missus mainly for dog walking. I want something super bright but not too big, possibly rechargeable too?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.

The extra "c" in the title was a typo, sorry.

Edited by Paul@Ribchester

Thanks for the ideas so far guys but I'm looking for something that will light up objects (dogs) at a 100 yards or so. I dont mind paying a good few £'s for the right torch.

I once went shooting with Ceaser off here and he had an amazing torch, small but really powerful.............................

Thanks for the ideas so far guys but I'm looking for something that will light up objects (dogs) at a 100 yards or so. I dont mind paying a good few £'s for the right torch.

I once went shooting with Ceaser off here and he had an amazing torch, small but really powerful.............................

The cree bike /head torches on gee-bay are the nuts. I have bought several for about twenty squids a pop. batteries take a while to recharge though (12hr plus) so worth having a spare battery with you. I think they are cree 600? Will check later. Full beam shines up 150 yd easy but eats battery in about three hours. Half power beam perfectly adequate and last about 12 hrs though batteries go down hill after 12 months. I swear by them.

I use a small torch that has a push pull focus. Can pick out dogs at 100 yards no problem, but the annoying thing is that it has no memory mode, so you end up having to quickly cycle through low, strobe to get to high mode.

The other one I use is an o-light warrior, a more flooding beam but very bright, well made and small. Perfectly good out to 100 yards plus. For rechargeable you want a torch that takes an 18650 cel and get yourself a good quality lithium ion cel and charger, don't buy cheap Chinese ones or use a stripped down laptop battery!

I use one of these:

http://www.polimil.co.uk/nightsearcher-explorer-xpg-rechargeable-flashlight.html

Rechargeable and gives off a really good light. Lights up the dog at a good 200 yards if needed but will get eye glow at 400 yards (good for lamping Charlie as well).

600 lumens - lasts about 90 mins on full charge. Can run it on lower power and has a strobe and SOS mode.

Uses a 18650 battery than can be replaced if you have spare battery and charger (or charge your spare in the torch).

I do have a couple of Chinese Fleabay torches - one claims to be 2000 lumens but nearer 200. I can live with that as I expect them to be a little over sold. Only problem is quality of battery and charger. Heard some horror stories and as SWMBO quite rightly points out, it's not worth burning the house down.

LED Lenser are also very good and so are Fenix. Anything with Police/Military spec should be fit for purpose. Anything 400+ lumens should be good for what you want. UK spec torches cost more but I get better peace of mind!

LEDLenser P7.2. Takes ordinary AAA batteries, lasts well, compact and powerful with tight focus.

Fenix PD35, very compact and unbelievably powerful, like a car headlight in a package about the same size as a mini Maglite.

Just a note, Torch Direct are very, very good, with an informative and detailed website;

www.torchdirect.co.uk

Usual disclaimers, no personal connection.....

These do well even at 100yds. Run off just one AA battery, we use rechargeables in them. Go from spot to flood. My kids have had them for a couple of years now.

http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk-68-cree-xr-e-q5-260lm-1-mode-white-light-zooming-flashlight-grey-1-x-aa-158184#.VIrlXE1F2Uk

Very cheap. You have to wait ten days for delivery but they make great stocking fillers too.

These do well even at 100yds. Run off just one AA battery, we use rechargeables in them. Go from spot to flood. My kids have had them for a couple of years now.

http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk-68-cree-xr-e-q5-260lm-1-mode-white-light-zooming-flashlight-grey-1-x-aa-158184#.VIrlXE1F2Uk

Very cheap. You have to wait ten days for delivery but they make great stocking fillers too.

Thanks. Just ordered 4 for 15 quid!!!!

LED LENSER P7

Pure White Light, you cannot look at it even in Daylight.

Zooms back to 3ft of Pure white disc.

100yds , No problem..

Not Very Big or Heavy, use one to light the bank up along the river every night.

Only runs on 3 triple AAA Batterys..

Brilliant bit of kit..

i have one and it's the dogs!