gutted

darebear

just got home from spending a night with friends, and as im getting close to where i live, the biggest white ferret i have ever seen is running along the pavement and popping in and out of everyone's gardens as it passes.

so me being me stops the car and spends the next 20 minutes trying to catch it. i'm making all kind of daft noises, and whistling, and trying to coax it to me. he (had to be a he, it was HUGE) must have been used to being handled because he got close now and again. but he just wouldnt let me grab him.

mind you, i hadnt thought far enough ahead in relation to what i would have done if i'd caught him. bung him in the car and have him run under the pedals as i drove? that's if i had any fingers left once i'd gotten hold of him. then what, try catching him again - this time in the car when i arrive home? and then get him in the house? with 4 newfoundlands?

meh. now i can't sleep for worrying about this damn ferret <_< . reckon he'll be ok? i even woke scaffy up to tell him - although he just smiled at my daftness and said he'd prolly be ok, and went back to sleep.

can pet ferrets survive in the urban wild once escaped?

Hi DB.

He will probrably find his way home and be curled up under his hutch when the owner goes out to feed him.

As a lad (many years ago) i had this happen a few times untill chicken wire was outdone by weld mesh.

Scaffy has the right idea

cheers Sutty <_<

If he has been handled, someone will pick him up and he will stay near buildings and people.

I have never known escaped ferrets live very long "in the wild", although there is no reason why they shouldn't.

When I have found the odd ferret dumped by poachers on my land and its eluded me, its never there the next time I go back.

Also, people never report signs of resident escapees around banks and woodlands.

Unfortunately, most escaped ferrets get run over, or taken by foxes.

funny enough just found a white ferret yesterday [tue] managed to catch it easily enough and was well used to handling took it to a mate who has ferrets already.going to sort out a cage etc .fortunatly not far from home for me .understand what you mean about what do you do if you caught it

??? Good on you Darebear! For attempting to catch the ferret. Shows your heart is in the right place.

Although, where your brain was, is another story. :lol:

sorry mate that part of her has gone missing according to Scaffy <_< :blink: :blink: :good: :o :lol::/:lol: