Another clay ground closes - southern counties shooting

aris

It's all down to the owners as far as I can tell.

This ground has been on the downward slide for a number of years in my opinion there just didn't seem to be any interest in getting the entries through the doors (especially for reg sporting events)I've been shooting this ground for over 20years so I'm gutted!! I really hope some one with an interest towards are great sport and has the money can take this ground off the current owners hands..I live in hope!!!

Yes, I'd have to agree with Masher, the present owners have no interest in Sporting shoots, it used to be a good ground many years back when run by Steve & Jan Middleditch, when they moved on, it went progressively downhill as they seemed to be more interested in Tarp and Skeet.

It's a dreadful ground for low cloud as it's perched right on top of the hill, and is very often fogged out, even in the Summer months.

I don't like to see any Ground closing, but I won't shed any tears over the loss of Southern Counties.

Cat.

I agree Cat, I can recall doing a rather important shoot there once and the tower target was totally engulfed in sea mist and they put a different target on half way through the shoot and never told the CPSA.Lots of us asked to shoot it again but were refused which cost us about 4 targets we couldn't see.If I have to travel a round trip of 750 miles I expect better treatment than that. So no loss to me either.from Auntie.

Agreed the weather has always played a big part with this ground but as a facility it has always been very good, its needed a graham brown or haggis Hartman back there to pull it around and set some quality targets and get the punters back through the doors and a ground manager that actually takes on board shooters feed back and not tell them "if your not happy go else where" which I my self have witnessed!! Let's just hope that this trend of grounds closing down can turn a corner.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear the shop will stay open, not sure if its true. As for the reasons I also heard (as you do) that they'd invested too much money into the hotel there as they thought they were going to be favoured with the Olympics but that went elsewhere. Apparently they've been having a lot of complaints about the noise from locals, not that there are that many!

Just thought it worth a mention, that despite numerous rumours of closure The A1 Shooting Ground is still open and well worth a visit.

(Yes I have vested interest in that I work there).

Wednesday through Saturday 10.00 until 4.00 (6.00 when the clocks change) 10.00 until 1.00 on Sundays.

I hear the shop will stay open, not sure if its true. As for the reasons I also heard (as you do) that they'd invested too much money into the hotel there as they thought they were going to be favoured with the Olympics but that went elsewhere. Apparently they've been having a lot of complaints about the noise from locals, not that there are that many!

GO Karting is staying too.... Only person who knows why it is closing is the owner....

Just thought it worth a mention, that despite numerous rumours of closure The A1 Shooting Ground is still open and well worth a visit.

(Yes I have vested interest in that I work there).

Wednesday through Saturday 10.00 until 4.00 (6.00 when the clocks change) 10.00 until 1.00 on Sundays.

When is the Helice starting up again? :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of 'disasters' there over the years. Some caused by the weather and some man made. Most of the latter should've been dealt with by the ground management or organising body. The fact is we've collectively lost another shooting ground with facilities for multiple disciplines.

From another site - is this it maybe?

Grand opening on the 8th of March and will be Dorsets Sporting Championship.

Shoot will be twice a month, 100 reg sporting, 12 stands and a pool shoot. Owner Kevin Newton who also runs Podimore will also run

England Sporting South West selection shoot on the 29th of March.

Ground is 6miles North of Dorchester on the A37.

From another site - is this it maybe?

Grand opening on the 8th of March and will be Dorsets Sporting Championship.

Shoot will be twice a month, 100 reg sporting, 12 stands and a pool shoot. Owner Kevin Newton who also runs Podimore will also run

England Sporting South West selection shoot on the 29th of March.

Ground is 6miles North of Dorchester on the A37.

that's the one