10 cracking pheasants but I still prefer pigeon shooting

steveyg

Today was the third day for my local syndicate,first drive's peg wasn't the best,had three shots for one cock bird however really pleased as it was a very challenging shot. 2nd drive was more fruitful and finished with 4 from 10 shots. Third drive was the best,had three birds down in a couple of minutes however next few birds were to low so had to leave them.Finished with five and four of them were on the edge of my limits so was really pleased to have folded them.

Finished on ten birds for thirty shots which i was pleased with.

A guy two pegs down nailed a white pheasant...that was an expensive mistake...£50 to the game keepers pension fund. Stunning lucking bird

This was a great day,good company and lovely lunch however.....still prefer shooting pigeon shooting

Its been a great experience however I don't get the same adrenalin rush as I do with decoying pigeons.

Unsure whether I will stay in the syndicate next year :hmm: :hmm: I can get a lot of paid pigeon shooting for what this season has cost.

Hopefully get a couple of days out on the pigeons over the couple of weeks..happy days :good: :good:

A good day had, pity about the white pheasant, but he paid the price :good:

It was a pity ,it was stunning looking bird however will be on show for a few years to come....it will be on the taxidermist's table next week.

I was amazed the guy to took the shot,everyone was screaming the white bird was in the air...the adrenalin rush must of kicked in

It was a pity ,it was stunning looking bird however will be on show for a few years to come....it will be on the taxidermist's table next week.

I was amazed the guy to took the shot,everyone was screaming the white bird was in the air...the adrenalin rush must of kicked in

On one of the shoots I beat for, the penalty for NOT shooting the white bird is more than for shooting it.

£5 if you kill it 1st shot

£10 if you kill it 2nd shot

£15 if you miss with both shots

£20 if you don't shoot at it.

So you are doomed anyway and might as well get on with it to limit your looses!!

Pheasant shooting and pigeon decoying are poles apart. I have been lucky to do a fair bit of both.

With game shooting, unless the birds are seriously challenging, the point of the day is banter and joshing amongst friends with an appreciation of the 'keepers skill and dog work thrown in. With reared birds the element of uncertainty is removed.

With decoying it is field craft which determines the day along with the skill to get the pigeons where you want them and to shoot them in the pattern. Frustration is often the name of the game but that is all forgotten when the pigeons play ball. With a few exceptions there is nothing more exciting than watching a pigeon commit to the pattern of decoys.

Pheasant shooting and pigeon decoying are poles apart. I have been lucky to do a fair bit of both.

With game shooting, unless the birds are seriously challenging, the point of the day is banter and joshing amongst friends with an appreciation of the 'keepers skill and dog work thrown in. With reared birds the element of uncertainty is removed.

With decoying it is field craft which determines the day along with the skill to get the pigeons where you want them and to shoot them in the pattern. Frustration is often the name of the game but that is all forgotten when the pigeons play ball. With a few exceptions there is nothing more exciting than watching a pigeon commit to the pattern of decoys.

Yep, 100% agree.

I really don't think I could choose between the two - If you can, you're probably not getting the best experiences of either

The other issue is cost.

Yesterday I drove four miles for my shooting and I fired just over 100 cartridges for 45 pigeons. The decoyed birds were shot at better than 2:1 whilst those on the return line were over 3:1. Petrol and other costs were minimal (two mars bars). Cartridges cost £20.

Assuming that I had paid for a day on the pheasants and I shot say 3:1 and fired 100 cartridges I would have shot over 30 birds. Assuming too that the shooting was evenly spread between eight guns the pheasant day bag would have been well over 240 head. That would have cost between £800 and £1,000. No doubt there would have been hotel and petrol costs plus the extortionate cost of a dancing girl for the night.

The pheasant shooting would have had to have been exceptional to have beaten what I had yesterday.

I really don't think I could choose between the two - If you can, you're probably not getting the best experiences of either

This just about sums it up for me. I seriously couldn't forfeit one for the sake of the other.

With game shooting (in my opinion) it is as much about the social occasion as the shooting as I mostly only ever shoot with friends, so either driven or walked up the banter is always there. There are women and children involved also, so it is a great day out. There are some good birds and some not so good, but it's not all about the bag. I would never pay for a days shooting amongst people I didn't know; it just isn't anything I'm interested in, unless I was with a group of friends of course.

The pigeon shooting is usually carried out with at least one friend also, and sitting in a hide having the craic while shooting is a fabulous chill out for me. I would find it difficult to choose one over the other, but either walked up or driven would possibly edge it...possibly. But then again....... :)

I shot a White pheasant on the shoot I was on, I was shooting into the sun never even seen it was the white bird. The guns down the line said they called WHITE BIRD but I never heard them.

The so called keeper was realy ****** off cause I 'd shot the white bird, a lot of the guns were doing the **** take and laughing at me, I joined in with it and took it on the chin. Then the keeper came running at me saying I shot the bird on purpose and was laughing about it too, my reply was " what am I suppose to do go home crying and depressed, I didn't know it was the white bird in the sun " he said well don't laugh about it and pay the fine. I paid the fine and he stormed off for the rest of the day.

I carried on with the rest of the season but he didn't talk to me from that day lol, I never renewed my membership next year .