Frustration

Longstrider

Having seen plenty of pigeon winging around my permission all week I was itching to be out there today. Drove over this morning without seeing a single bird in the air anywhere between home and the farm. Arrived and walked the permission looking for some sign of life and some indication of where best to set myself up for the day .. all to no avail as there wasn't a bird to be seen other than the resident half-dozen or so buzzards playing with the wind.

I decided that my best chance (if any) would come on the rape, so I set out a pattern of deeks on a patch of thin growth where last years stubble was still showing through, and quickly built myself a small hide in the hedge.... and waited .. and waited.

After an hour and half and not a ruddy pigeon to be seen I suddenly realised where they all were ... coming straight at me over the horizon, down the wind, in a flock of about 600 to 700 !

The whole lot then parked themselves about half a mile away from me, in full view of where I was sitting, on the rape which was on the far side of the hedge at the other side of the field I was in, on the next farms property, not even on my permission. I waited, and waited but they were heads down and not looking like they would move anytime soon without some encouragement, so I relented and fired a shot in the air hoping they might wing round and come that bit further down wind ...

What they did was lift as one only to go and sit in the nearby poplar plantation where I could still see them but couldn't do a thing about it.

20 minutes later a dog walker on a nearby footpath was enough to spook the lot which lifted from the trees and flew off again, back the way they had originally come from.

Out all day for one passing crow and one woodie that was flying all alone that I shot whilst humping my gear back to the car.

There are days when I really do think pigeon are either telepathic or put on the earth just to frustrate me (or both)

Is it just me, or do you guys have too many days like this too ?

Having seen plenty of pigeon winging around my permission all week I was itching to be out there today. Drove over this morning without seeing a single bird in the air anywhere between home and the farm. Arrived and walked the permission looking for some sign of life and some indication of where best to set myself up for the day .. all to no avail as there wasn't a bird to be seen other than the resident half-dozen or so buzzards playing with the wind.

I decided that my best chance (if any) would come on the rape, so I set out a pattern of deeks on a patch of thin growth where last years stubble was still showing through, and quickly built myself a small hide in the hedge.... and waited .. and waited.

After an hour and half and not a ruddy pigeon to be seen I suddenly realised where they all were ... coming straight at me over the horizon, down the wind, in a flock of about 600 to 700 !

The whole lot then parked themselves about half a mile away from me, in full view of where I was sitting, on the rape which was on the far side of the hedge at the other side of the field I was in, on the next farms property, not even on my permission. I waited, and waited but they were heads down and not looking like they would move anytime soon without some encouragement, so I relented and fired a shot in the air hoping they might wing round and come that bit further down wind ...

What they did was lift as one only to go and sit in the nearby poplar plantation where I could still see them but couldn't do a thing about it.

20 minutes later a dog walker on a nearby footpath was enough to spook the lot which lifted from the trees and flew off again, back the way they had originally come from.

Out all day for one passing crow and one woodie that was flying all alone that I shot whilst humping my gear back to the car.

There are days when I really do think pigeon are either telepathic or put on the earth just to frustrate me (or both)

I would certainly not bother sitting out all day for such little reward. I don't have days like the one you described.

ive had a few days like you mention, of late ive only been heading out onto the rape field with gun carts fags and coffee. not bothered with hide or decoys as ive a lovely natural hide in the middle of a hedgerow!! just nice for a change to site for a while, shoot a few that make a mistake in coming in too close to me then just getting up and moving to another place!!

roll on tommorrow morning, so cant wait to try my new beretta ultralight deluxe!!!!

went to my rape fields to day to have a look, plenty in trees a half a dozen or so driving in for a feed so after sitting it out for a hour looking to see which way the birds flight in I desided to let a banger off to see them rise and flight back in, well tomorrows shot is off, one bang and gone,gone,gone, pigeons not really hitting rape hard yet still alternative food around, that's winter decoying, you can get good bags or poor bags but the best bag you,ll get is a bag of sandwiches :whistling:

That's fairly typical for me!! If you can get where they really want to be, you can get a dozen or so, over the full day. That's just the odd "Nobby-No-Mates" or pair trying to join the flock.The big numbers will only join large numbers of happy birds feeding away.

Don't even bother to set up without a flight line into the field.

Then you won't do any shooting round here in the winter. The do "flock-string", where a brave/stupid bird goes in. The whole flock are watching, if all goes well for him, little groups of 5-20 will follow, until everone is down and feeding. If scared up, they all head, en-masse, for a wood or group of trees to think about it. Then, eventually, another brave/stupid bird goes in, but to a totally different location (different field or part of field) and the whole scenario repeats.