keepers tip

big bad lindz

I will be going on a beaters day at the end of January. A bit of a daft question but is it the norm in general to give the keeper a tip on the day. I have been thinking of giving the keeper and under keeper a bottle of something as a thank you as I have really enjoyed the few days that I have been out and I am looking forward to the beaters day.

Yes it is customary to tip..

My Son is a gamekeeper, But I still tip him..

Lower than some of the toffs that shoot 250 etc, but its his birds you are shooting after all, and his hard work..

Agreed they are his birds but a lot of beaters days are cocks only,so you are also helping him balance nature.

Atb

Fielddweller

Must admit i've never tipped on a keepers day, as others have said its usually a thank you for all the work u've put in helping the keeper throu the season.

If ur organised get the rest of the beaters to have a whip round before it for keepers wife or cook if u get soup/meals at lunch time and buy them something to thank them for the meals etc.

I think the keepers appreciate a text the next day thanking them and saying u enjoyed it.

Never tipped on keepers days, never asked nor expected to. Helpers or keepers days are a way of saying thanks by the keeper to those who have helped throughout the season and might include poult and feed providers as well as those out on shoot days. a bottle of good malt, now that is different!

Blackpowder

Come on its not locked in stone..

Its a day when the beaters get their day (YES)..

But would feel a right fool when the guys who are Still beating, BUT NOT Shooting ,as many do not, Still get paid by the keeper, it is only right some money changes hands, if only to keep up the days appearance..

And the keeper always buys on the evening session at the pub, He never came from there with his pockets full believe me..

He Gets his beaters back year on year because things are as they should be,, There is no rule book..

Any keepers day I've been on its a walk and stand so everyone gets a turn shooting, any beaters there who don't want to shoot enjoy the day and hospitality but don't get paid. However, as you say there is no rule book.

Edited by WGD

I've always tipped on keeper's days, and so does everyone I shoot with. Yes you have earnt it but the keeper ( and I speak from experience) will have worked just as hard to give you a good day as he has to paying guns all season, and trying to organise 16 over excited adults,who all know the best place to stand is like herding cats. Really, £20/30 isn't a lot for a cracking day out in good company

But saying that, I won't expect or demand a penny from anyone one the 29th

Edited by kennett

I've always tipped on keeper's days, and so does everyone I shoot with. Yes you have earnt it but the keeper ( and I speak from experience) will have worked just as hard to give you a good day as he has to paying guns all season, and trying to organise 16 over excited adults,who all know the best place to stand is like herding cats. Really, £20/30 isn't a lot for a cracking day out in good company

But saying that, I won't expect or demand a penny from anyone one the 29th

Well Said.

On my shoot we have a beaters day and a keepers day.

On beaters day I will still be beating to make there day the same as they have provided for the guns.

Keepers day is different there might be the odd beater on there but will mainly be other keepers who have there own shoot or my friends, if they tip I'll tip them back on there day or get the beers in after in the pub.

If I was a guest on a keepers day and not done any beating or work and haven't got a day to offer in return I would tip the keeper

On my shoot we have a beaters day and a keepers day.

On beaters day I will still be beating to make there day the same as they have provided for the guns.

Keepers day is different there might be the odd beater on there but will mainly be other keepers who have there own shoot or my friends, if they tip I'll tip them back on there day or get the beers in after in the pub.

If I was a guest on a keepers day and not done any beating or work and haven't got a day to offer in return I would tip the keeper

See, There are no "RULES".

On a syndicate/ commercial shoot I used to beat on we had an excellent beaters day.

None of the syndicate members turned up to beat for us, it wasn't that type of shoot.

There were enough beaters and picker ups to field two teams and we did walk one, stand one with as many drives as we could manage before the light went. The beaters who didn't shoot came and were paid as normal.

A senior beater took a hat round afterwards and everyone shooting was expected to contribute £30, which was a small price to pay for a 250 bird plus day and nearer 400 in some years. Back then a bird was charged out at £40 plus VAT.

We all knew the keeper, not the shoot owner, kept the beater's wagon topped up with sweets and chocolate through the season and with festive food and drink around Christmas.

Had we offered a tip individually he'd have turned it down, so the best way was for everyone to gather round and present it to him with a bottle or two.

If you don't tip on any day you shoot including hare days you WONT be asked or seen again!

fenman

Must admit i doubt i would either go to the keepers day or back to that estate if the keeper was expecting a tip on keepers day.

Mibee different in this area but it costs me a lot of money to go beating or picking up (never mind the weekends chainsawing, pen building and putting the birds out) and the money paid for beating is a joke lucky if it cover ur desiel sometimes,

If the beating team has worked hard all year and the keeper has got the results, the least a shoot can do is put on a decent keepers day for u. U can be the best keeper in the world but won't count for much unless u have some half decent beaters

And this is not me being tight any time i'm on a paid day i will tip, (as a gun for a FT recently i was the only gun who tipped the keeper, think he was surprised i did, dunno if normal on a FT day, but he deserved it as he worked bloody hard, and dealing with doggy folk can be like herding cats at times) and despite me not being as wealthy as most usually tip better than most as i appreciate the work they do

For the OP mibee ask someone on ur beating team wot the craic is in ur area/estate