making and selling furniture

Paddy Galore!

Hello ladies and gents, i'm sick of being skint so was thinking of advertising some "chainsaw" furniture, it's big and chunky and rustic looking, I've made a few bits for family and friends before and i'd now like to make a bit of money out of it for a change. I was thinking about putting ads on gumtree and even ebay, the only trouble is it all weighs a ton, how do you guys in the know get big bulky stuff sent cross country cheaply?

cheers,

paddy.

There you have hit the nail firmly on the head! The answer is you cant! look at bird tables and planters and think about car boot sales

There's quite a few stalls like that at every car boot, i'd have too much competition, the thing is I have several trees all sawn up in planks ready to go, I don't want to make garden knick knacks out of it, it's too good for that and people don't want to pay a premium on top for a nice bit of oak instead of old pallet wood.

Collection only.

that's another option, but would you hire a van, and how far would you travel to pick up said piece of furniture?

Pallets can be sent for around 50 pounds - check nationalpallets.co.uk. You will need to source a pallet, and pack it securely - but that is not difficult. Customer will have to buy a fair bit to make it worth his while.

Other alternative is to load up a van full of stock and get a stall at a market in London frequented by hipsters. Ask for 2-3 times your usual asking price and allow them to haggle you down.

Lastly - deliver them yourself! Free collection or small charge to cover your diesel within 100 miles.

Edited by aris

SADA! Sales Admin Distribution and Advertising. You can make a widget for a competitive price but the overheads wipe out your profit. I must have spreadsheet out several hundred business plans when I was a business planner where the idea was good but the overheads didn't work. Its the biggest problem.

Virtually every business in the world is in that predicament.

I can tell you the most profitable business probably in Britain which you can start for virtually nothing but only if you PM me. Im not going to say it on open forum

I sell a lot of my products online, I'm a blacksmith so items come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Generally speaking I have found that people are happy to spend around 10-15% on postage. So if your furniture is priced at £600 then most people, if interested won't mind spending £60 on getting it sent out via pallet. Obviously if you are selling something for £20 then you might find it harder to get them to cough up the postage fee.

If I were you, make up stock between now and June/July time and then find and start trading at shows. Don't think about the big county type shows but there are plenty out there where you can trade for little money or free. One of the better shows I trade at is the Dorset Chilli Festival for example. I also do around 5 RSPB (I know not the most welcomed charity here!) shows each year for free. Also 95% of shows, even the bigger ones will give you a free pitch, or at a very discounted rate, if demonstrating. You will need insurance for them but can recommend you a very good insurer designed for craftsmen if interested. Let the people willing to spend money come to you rather than trying to chase them around the internet!!

Also id forget about boot sales and alike, normally people want to pick up something for nothing that's been cleared out of a loft.

Local garden centre offer it to them on sale or return let them double up so you want £200 let them sell it for £400+ swap the stock round every month so it looks like its moving. Offer local delivery and installation....

I did this with my local centre for rabbit hutches I got 30 quid a hutch they sold em for 90, didn't last long before I stopped

I did this with my local centre for rabbit hutches I got 30 quid a hutch they sold em for 90, didn't last long before I stopped

Why stop? Unless you can sell the hutches and the time dealing with customers displaying etc if they can source else where for £30 then your a bit stuck but tree trunk furniture is a different product for a different market...

thanks for the advice chaps, i'll give it a go.

Unfortunately I can't just make stuff to store as I don't have the room, delivery would be a problem too, I can't see the poor old caddy managing to hold a full height bookcase lol! plus it's more of a bespoke service and the some of the stuff I've made so far has been designed to fit some awkward spaces.

I really do enjoy the work, but I can't afford to give it away anymore, I was hoping that the few pieces I've done would generate a few leads, but not much has come of it.

Get some fliers printed up and deliver to the more likely addresses in your area. A couple of photos of examples would go a long way.

Daughter in law owns a couple of children's nurseries. They have a large garden full of wooden giant pencils, mushrooms, benches etc. - made with a chainsaw. People will generally pay more for something not mass produced and personalised.

Good luck with your venture. Having watched them being made, I had to marvel at the artistry of something created with such a blunt instrument.

I can't see the poor old caddy managing to hold a full height bookcase lol! plus it's more of a bespoke service and the some of the stuff I've made so far has been designed to fit some awkward spaces.

I really do enjoy the work, but I can't afford to give it away anymore

It sounds like you're producing good stuff, any photos?

Don't be afraid to charge. Certainly in Edinburgh there seems to be quite a big pool of people with more money than sense. They're used to

paying £Lots for everything, I'm sure there are plenty of the same sort all round the country (exclusive golf club types) so don't be afraid to charge for 'bespoke' products.

Good luck!

Nial.