20bore for driven game

Tomm

Hi there, not used to shotguns as I mainly shoot rifles but I was invited on a couple of pheasant days at the end of the season so thAught I would get a nice shotgun. Anyway I ended up with a silver pigeon 20b. I have been shooting hull high pheasant 28gr 5 and have been getting on ok on the clay tower. When I told one of the people I am going on the driven day with about my gun choice they seemed to think I was going to struggle on the day because 40-50 yards is too far for a 20 and I would have to use a 12 if I wanted to hit the high birds. I was a bit disappointed because I love the feel of the 20 and was starting to shoot quie well with it. Should I get a 12 or is the 20 ok for day up to 50 yard pheasants? Thanks all!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found heavy loads, ie 32gram, in 20 gauge would generally be much slower than say 28grams when chrono'ed. I think they need to be in this smaller gauge to keep within pressure limits.

Bear in mind that even a 28gram load is considered quite heavy in a 20 gauge. Personally I think that 28grams of 5 or 6 with a suitable choke is a great load that will certainly outperform most of us.

I shoot 20g for driven pheasant through a 12bore. When its is pointed in the right direction this load brings down some high birds. Your 20 bore will be much tighter choked than my vintage 12 so no problem with high driven birds, ignore the prophets of doom.

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

I've shot 20 bore for years and Ive just sold it as I found a heavier 12 with long barrels is a better tool for high driven pheasants the twenty is great for walked up / snap shooting but a heavy 12 bore trap style gun is the thing for high birds with 32 to 42 gram cartridges depending on how high you want to shoot that said a good 28 gram 20 bore load put in the right place will kill 40 yard pheasants

I've got both 12g and 20g guns they both shoot high birds it's where you point the lead that matters most, just don't get sucked into the dos and don't if you enjoy a 20g then use it as lots do !

Use 28g 5 or 6 shot and u will be fine

A nice light 20g is ideal if you have a lot of walking to do.......

Edited by blasterjudd

What he has to think of is, just how many pellets does it take to down a bird?!

Thinking a 12g is better for high birds is folly. Heavy barrels may help some with their swing but that is nothing to do with the gauge! That is everything to do with shooter discipline and very often linked to looking for an excuse!

U.