Cocker pup

cody123

Hi all,

I have a 15 week old Cocker dog, (my 1st cocker) who I am having trouble house training.

He will go to the door and indicate that he wants to be outside, no problem.

The problem is, he wont or cant empty his bladder in one go, then comes back inside and squirts on the floor....!!!!

So my question is, is it a common thing with Cockers of his age & will he grow out of it .

He is a cracking little dog in every other respect.

Many thanks for any advice.

Cody123

When he does it on the floor give him a good verbal telling off and take him outdoors , when he does it outdoors make a fuss of him , he will soon learn.

The obvious thing is that if he is coming back in and doing it on the floor perhaps your not staying out with him long enough in the first place.

Edited by fenboy

Also you could try setting him up - watch him in the house at toilet time and when he shows the toilet cues pick him up and take him outside. When he shows the desired behaviour ie taking a tiddle treat immediately. Above all be consistent, if you've told him off a lot for peeing inside he may be reluctant to do it near you at all at night. Positive punishment has it's place but if this is the case something like a treat (positive reinforcement) will probably be more effective. Good luck

Edited by bigbird

Keen on the positive reinforcement side of things too...... The min you see him peeing outside give him a good clap and a treat. If he pees inside I dont tell him off just clean it up and try and get him outside next time.

Get a spray from the pet store to get any smells away from area where he has peed indoors so he is not encouraged to pee there again as they will always go back to where they can smell something they have done before...... I like to use a keyword to indicate he is going outside for a pee (outside is what I use).

Hopefully you will not have long on this one.....

Cheers

Andra

Edited by Andra

When I take Blue out to go to the loo I always use a command like "hurry up" which he knows means go to the loo..... I do not play with him I just ignore him and we stay there until he does his business. Obviously I take him out when I think he needs to go. The key is to ignore him until he has been and you are sure......

• 3 weeks later...

I do a similar thing with my spaniel pup Dart, take him out and tell him to 'be quick' then whilst doing his thjng reinforce the two words.. Try not to say good boy / girl, they will associate that with toileting and u may find u say it when on the new carpet and he/she drops one. Also i dont use treats for.toilet trainin, just alot of praise and fuss when its done outside.