Only a matter of time - Ebola in Scotland

poontang

it wouldn't take much to organize either, which makes me wonder what "the powers that be" do all day.

Judging by the state of the UK they must do diddly squat, unless an important issue arises such as bending over backwards to accommodate convicted murderers and paedophiles.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point people are missing here is "unlikely" and even "extremely unlikely" to contract this through normal social contact, it is not "impossible". And it would be impossible if she hadn't been selfish and reckless enough to drag it back here with her.

Edited by walshie

Blimey, Ebola, the next pandemic ( which it isnt ) , the great plague ( oh no its not) which will wipe out mankind (nope ) is here??? Oh god, preppers were right. Hang on, its in Scotland. Huge sigh of relief.

sorry to disappoint you but the patient is winging her way to a small hospital in Carshalton :)

Edited by islandgun

People like this should be charged with reckless endangerment and if anyone else dies because of them, manslaughter. There is no excuse.

That is just plain stupid if it was not for these brave people going over there trying to fight it then it would just get worse with more and more people getting it and with so many of us going all around the world for holidays or work there would be lots of people bringing it back then we really would have problems.

How is Ebola not spread?

You'd need to have close contact with the source of infection to be at risk.

The virus is not, for example, as infectious as diseases such as the flu, as airborne transmission is much less likely.

Ebola virus disease is generally not spread through routine social contact (such as shaking hands) with patients who do not have symptoms.

It's unlikely you would catch Ebola just by travelling on a plane with someone who is infected. You would need to have had direct contact with the blood or body fluids from that person.

It’s also unlikely you would catch Ebola virus from the sweat left on gym equipment. A person who has symptoms of Ebola virus disease would not be well enough to go to the gym – and until they develop symptoms, they are not infectious. The World Health Organization (WHO) says whole live virus has never been isolated from sweat.

Well how IS Ebola spread. by going into the infected zone, putting on all the protective gear you can think of and then a bit more, then returning home on a plane and exposing hundreds of others to something that you thoroughly protected yourself against.

What i am saying is that she took all protective measures against catching it but still caught it and then brought it back here.

Are the pious members here who accuse others of being "Ebola experts" because they dare voice an opinion, experts themselves? If they aren't, maybe they should just hush. If they ARE then go and cure it.

And whoever it was who said my opinion was stupid (really can't be bothered to check back to see who it was)...meh! You have you views and i'll have mine. :good:

I hear she is on her way to a secure medical facility in the MIDDLE of London, what would it take for some stupid suicide bomber or just one extremist to gain access to the ward, and blow himself up thus spreading the highly infectious bodily fluids all over London. Don't say its impossible because if someone was that determined they would find a way.

Edited by peck

Well how IS Ebola spread. by going into the infected zone, putting on all the protective gear you can think of and then a bit more, then returning home on a plane and exposing hundreds of others to something that you thoroughly protected yourself against.

What i am saying is that she took all protective measures against catching it but still caught it and then brought it back here.

maybe she was just lazy and didn't follow basic hygiene rules

A few weeks ago, I heard a piece on radio 4 discussing the risk and transmission process, they had a scientifist on who said they were not sure about many aspects of it, most notably the infectious period prior to symptoms showing. Either way, very selfish and reckless of the healthcare worker to potentially expose others to this, as others have pointed out, it seems convenient that they travelled back and were immediately admitted to hospital.

There might be an element of overreaction by the public but there are a few questions to be asked surely?

This lady has caught it despite all the safety gear, I very much doubt she has been kissing ebola patients so she has caught the infection through contact in another way. That can only be either airborne or skin contact with infected clothing or similar. The risk we were told, is minimal but it's happened. It's not the first one either is it?

She returns home on an aircraft carrying the virus, nobody knows for certain if she was infectious at that stage or not. Before being quarantined/isolated she was in indirect contact with a lot of people and probably direct contact with family and friends.

So yes, the risk may be small but people have a right to be concerned as the Government don't have a good track record when it comes to handling problems do they?

I wish the lady a speedy recovery but I do think that all health workers should have a quarantine period after finishing their stint in Africa.

God there are some ignorant people on here.

Lets cut to the chase, I wish the lady (who had the bottle to go and help others less fortunate than herself) a speedy recovery.

Well said. And assuming she had an idea she was falling sick I'm pretty sure she would have done everything she could to avoid passing onto others whilst travelling.

To be honest, if I thought I was coming down with it then I would do my best to get home too. It's called self preservation.

On a side note: there is some weird stuff going on though, last month I flew into Nairobi and we were screened with FLIR cameras for elevated body temperature - they claimed they were looking for some kind of bird flu or something from Asia or Middle East. Really bizarre...

You have to applaud people for undertaking this work BUT expecting them to make their own way home on public flights is irresponsible. The Aid Agencies need to take some responsibility here and charter flights for the teams out there and then place the people in quarantine until the incubation period is over.

7,500 deaths and 20,000 reported case's in 12 months.

Those are figure's, actually bodies either dead or have Ebola, not speculation. That's more than the capacity of Selhurst Park football ground.(crystal palace)

I think, that's just me, It is rather serious. So for those that have the opinion that its just a runny nose that you won't catch because you haven't kissed or had matrimonial contact with, I really think you need to look at the numbers.

7,500 deaths and 20,000 reported case's in 12 months.

Those are figure's, actually bodies either dead or have Ebola, not speculation. That's more than the capacity of Selhurst Park football ground.(crystal palace)

I think, that's just me, It is rather serious. So for those that have the opinion that its just a runny nose that you won't catch because you haven't kissed or had matrimonial contact with, I really think you need to look at the numbers.

just to put this lot into perspective in 12 months 7500 dead from ebola world wide, in 2 DAY`S world wide 8000 dead from road traffic accidents :hmm:

get a grip people

Edited by chrisjh

Are the pious members here who accuse others of being "Ebola experts" because they dare voice an opinion, experts themselves? If they aren't, maybe they should just hush. If they ARE then go and cure it.

And whoever it was who said my opinion was stupid (really can't be bothered to check back to see who it was)...meh! You have you views and i'll have mine. :good:

Well said Walshie.

Unfortunately there are a few TROLL'OPS on here.

I would have thought for the sake of their own families a vouluntary period of quarantine somewhere pleasant but out of harms way would be acceptable for returning health workers. I spent 18 months in Sierra Leone in the late 70s, its beautiful, very much like the the West Indies with wonderful beaches. It wouldn't be much of a hardship.to spend a couple of weeks lazing around there